1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just acquired a new project vehicle

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jelloslug, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    what happend that its so big?

2. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    From what I can tell it's the cheap aftermarket hood that I used. It came with the car so at least I did not pay for it. According to some informal measurements the upper section of the hood is 1/4" too narrow. That would be right about how far it's off. That's not the only problem with this hood though. Read my rant on the hood a few pages back to get the whole story.

3. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i thought i recognized your username. i'm houstinojillian on SHOforum. nice build, as a prius is hopefully in my future when i sell my SHO, i enjoyed this thread even more than your old build for the moonlight blue first gen.

4. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thedutchtouch??? from the netherlands?

5. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I still have the old SHO. It's about to go under the knife for a "refresh" as it's gotten kind of "tired" from the 190 mile a day commute I was doing last year. Moonlight blue and Spectra Blue Mica are almost the same color. :D

6. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    which is one of the reasons spectra blue is my #1 choice to replace my moonlight SHO. :D

build another one and i'll partial trade ya my SHO for it haha

7. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    How many miles on the odometer now?
    Will this be a cosmetic, mechanical, or a combined "refresh"?

8. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Around 265000 miles. It will be a combined refresh. There is nothing really wrong mechanically other than a noisy power steering pump (it's the original one) but it's time to do one of the major tuneups (timing belt, plugs, intake cleaning, valve shims, and a few other things). The interior is "tired" and needs to be taken apart, cleaned, touched up, and put back in properly to eliminated rattles and creaks. Some of the power window motors are noisy and need a little work also. The paint is the big problem; after I painted it I tried out color sanding on the clear coat. It worked great...for a while. I got the clear coat too thin and it failed after a few years so it needs to be totally repainted. I may do some suspension upgrades while I'm working on it, it just depends on how long the old Neon holds up while I'm working on it.

9. SZ92

SZ92 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi my name is John and I would like to put fog lightsin my Prius. After reading your thread I saw that you were putting fog lights in to. I wanted to know what kind they were and where you ordered them from if it isnt to much trouble. Thanks.

10. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    There are a few ways to go about it depending on how much of a factory look you want. The cheapest way would be to buy a prepackaged kit off of eBay. It will come with the fog lights, wiring harness, relay, and a generic switch. You will still need to buy the fog light grills but they are cheap from some place like parts.com. Installation is straight forward but will require removal of the bumper (it's very easy) and possibly the wiper cowl (it's very easy also). The next way (which is what I did) will give you a fog light button that fit's in one of the blanks to the left of the steering column (Note: this is for 2006-2009 models only, the 2004-2005 models use a different sized button that could be sourced from another Toyota). You will need to buy a fog light kit for Toyota Yaris plus you will need to buy a set of Prius fog lights (the Yaris lights are different). You will still need to buy the fog light grills also. You will use the wiring harness, relay, and button from the Yaris but not the fog lights. The final way would be to buy the Prius fog light kit and rather than using the supplied button buy a multi-function switch for a Prius that factory fog lights and wire the new fog lights to that.

11. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Jelloslug,

This was my favorite blog on this site. I enjoyed watching your rebuild. How about an update with some new pics? Any problems? Any plans to do this again?

12. jorgeez

jorgeez New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Good job on that project ride of yours. I enjoyed back-reading it.

13. jelloslug

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Other than the broken passenger side axle (look here: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-m...found-source-my-moderate-speed-vibration.html ) it has been flawless. We have put about 6000 miles on it since we started driving it including several day trips out of state and a nice long trip to Florida. I have looked at a few other salvage cars including a very easy to fix 05 but I have not bought anything else yet. I may wait until someone bashes one of the '10 models and pick up one of those :D.

14. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Eager to see an 10 project car. Best of luck.

15. Gurple42

Gurple42 New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The character who spoke those words was indeed Arthur Carlson. The guy who wrote them was Bill Dial, one of the writers on the original WKRP In Cincinnati. He was my boss on "The New WKRP In Cincinnati", back in the day.

16. Klim0k

Klim0k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not trying to hijack this thread, but you seem to be the person to ask this. In the photo what is the black block for on the passenger side?

Attached Files:

17. Klim0k

Klim0k Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I just read this entire thread and you mentioned this being some sort of damper. Still have no idea what this is for. Fender, maybe?

I also picked up my prius from a salvage auction. The airbags were not deployed and I didn't have do as much body work as you. Anyway, for those that are interested, the car has been running fine for over a year now and is back in the shop because some young lady decided to run the stop sign.:eek: The original damage was the driver side, which was repaired, now I get to repair the passenger side (where the lady hit the car).

18. justjeff

justjeff Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I never found out if your hood/fender gap issue on passenger side was resolved. I have EXACTLY the same issue going on with my rebuild. I have a certifit hood....and the gap looks identical to yours on that side. Am I good to do all my spotwelds and just get a salvage yard hood when I get time???

Thanks!
    Jeff

19. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Since the OP did not respond - I believe that he obtained the correct Toyota hood part to replace the aftermarket part.

20. 5150debil

5150debil Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Insurance will total if you rumple a fender.