1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just bricked my 2012 prius..how screwed am I?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Flagmaster, Nov 2, 2018.

1. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Im an experienced 12 volt tech. But yesterday my confidence got the better of me. I made a big mistake by trying to work on car while the battery connected. God, what a dumb nice person move.

I was make an addition to my after market alarm/remote starter. I was putting in a "improved" version of my "starter kill" based on the "ground when armed' output of the alarm box.

I had already successfully done this, by cutting the first yellow wire in on the PTS button plug, and soldering extension wires too both those yellow cut points in the wire, and running them into a relay which would keep the button dissabled until the after market alarm was disarmed. This would close the yellow wires back together, returned full function to the PTS button. Worked perfectly.

While upgrading my compustar key fob, I noticed my soldering job on that relay was a bit sloppy, so I wanted to redo it. In so doing, I accidentally touched a constant +12 to the wrong pin, and I think it fed 12 volts up my starter kill lines and directly into the yellow wire of the PTS IMMO/Amplifer module, it likely also fed 12 volts down the other yellow end, right into the car (where ever it goes). no sparks, no blow fuses, all seemed well.

When done with my job, I went to send the new 3 mile key fob. Worked perfect. I could arm/lock and disarm/unlock the car. I tried remote start....worked prefect, started right up, went to ready, no error codes. Next I tested my work...stayed in the car, shut it off, armmed it. Checked my starter kill relay, open. Pressed the break, nothing, put my sks key up to the button, no beep no led, ignores push. Perfect. (remember the relay is open now, and the yellow wire appears cut from the car).

Feeling pretty good about myself, I retired for the night.

Today, I disarmed, got in, held my sks key up to the button (I have no battery in my sks key) and got no beep. oh shit. Pressed the break, no green led, no orange leds, and my heart sank.

The red flashing led in the dash showing the immobilizer is on, stays on, even during dissarm, and even when I put my key up too it. I unhooked my wires, tied the yellow wires back together, no difference. oh shit. I remote started it, worked, right to ready, no errors. But as we all know, you cant put the car in gear with a remote start, because when you press the break it kills the car, and demands a PTS restart.

How screwed am I?

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Wow, no idea what you are describing, have you checked the 12v health?

Pluggo likes this.
  3. Pluggo

Pluggo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Consider undoing the aftermarket stuff one wire at a time until the car either works or the aftermarket stuff is completely out and the car is in more or less OEM condition for the next technician.

4. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Not sure what you mean by that? The 12volt battery is strong, and I can remote start the car.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Okay, that shows you how clueless I am, but you said ‘as we all know’:whistle:

6. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Im praying its the PTS module is broken, its easy to change and not expensive. I dont think there is any programming stored in it, all the key codes are in the ECU I think. I even have an extra PTS factory oem module Im gonna try.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Each time you make a change to fix it, you have to disconnect the battery for five minutes so none of the previous errors are still in memory/hard reboot...

8. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I did not try that. I will tho, thanks. Would there be any indication of a code on the dash? or not necessarily?

9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Usually the errors that prevent things from working are displayed on the dash if found in memory when the car is READY. Your problem seems to be you can't make it READY so, no there would be no dash indication.

You say you held the fob up to the button, have you tried inserting into the slot? Be careful though, my Prius is super grabby with the key when its in there. Every time it went in for warranty work, that's where they'd put my key and it would basically refuse to come out without some on/off and pulling. Mine normally just stays in my pocket (SKS) but it does work in the slot... apparently...

Merkey likes this.
  10. Usle

Usle Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I don't remember my gen3 having the key insertion option, just the put it next to the start button option.

OP, when remote starting does the car go into ready or does it need to be shut off and started by the start button before you can drive it, that's how my ram truck is.

Anyway, bricked be a dead traction battery, thank the gods you're not actually bricked.
    Good lck.

11. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    You may be right that the G3 doesn't have the slot. It was completely unneeded so it doesn't surprise me if they took it away.

12. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    There is a solenoid in the keyslot that locks the keyfob in until power is turned off. I suppose it could get sticky and refuse to let go.

13. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Ok guys, I got S U P E R lucky. I did cause damage to he SKS system, but it only broke the PTS button assy. I just happend to have an extra one of those I got off ebay just last week for a different project I had in mind. So this morning, on a whim, I drove to the dealer in my borrowed van, and go premission to go to the back, where my car was dropped off by the tow truck. I swapped out the PTS assy, and everything came back to normal and Im good again. No damage to the ECU, thank the lord. The service manager told me to go by a lottery ticket today.

14. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats!

what is a pts button? is that the on/off switch under the steering wheel?

16. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    On that note, can any of you tell me what the pin out of the PTS button assy (Imobolizer/Amplifer) is. Its a 14 total pin connector, and the wires are as follows:

top row (smaller holes):

thick pink 1
    thin purple 2
    thin blue 3
    thin green 4
    thin red 5
    thin green (different green) 6
    thick yellow 7

bottom row (bigger holes):

blank 1
    thick yellow 2
    blank 3
    blank 4
    thick white 5
    blank 6
    thin black 7

Id very much like to know what each of these wires do, and how they should test (with meter/scope).

2012 Toyota Prius

17. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    PTS = "Push to Start"

bisco likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thank you

19. Flagmaster

Flagmaster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    I
    After playing with my bad pts module, taking it apart and trying to figure how it works I have come up with this so far:

thick white wire is ground. pushing the button connects this ground to the thin black, and the thick yellow wires right next too it. 100%

Also that ground is the cathode of all leds. One led is green only, and its job is to light up the face plate of the "POWER" text printed on the button. The anode (+12) side of that led is the thin green in the middle bottom row. 100%

The other led is a green and orange with common ground (cathode) also on the thick white wire. 100%
    The orange side off the LED anode (+12) is the other thin green wire. 100%
    The green side of that LED anode (+12) is the thin red wire . 100%

I think the other yellow wire (the one I muffed up) is +5volts in to run the RF radio chip. 60% sure.
    That puts the pink wire as ground for the radio chip. I think. 60% sure.

After the chip reads the code number from the smart key via its wireless antennas, it outputs this code on the blue or pink wire.
    Im 50% of this.

Me accidentally shooting 12 volts DC down the yellow wire, over-loaded the power input. It only wants 5 volts, not 12. Looking up the part number of the chip, the max input voltage is 7 MAX, and only then for a short time.

What was learned :

*Always disconnect 12 volt batter when working on stuff.
    *The LED's share a common ground, and are not controlled by the module, external +12 signals down the two green wires and red wire turn them on, the circuit board only has the current limit resistors on it.
    * Using the yellow wire is a prefect choice for alarm stater kill, because it cuts power to the decoder RF chip. The car can not be started with a smart key with this wire open.

SFO likes this.