1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

i just cleaned intake manifold/EGR pipe and have a question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Former Member 68813, Sep 26, 2015.

1. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    took me 3-4 hrs with breaks. medium difficulty and lots of pipes and wires in the way. i took an opportunity to clean TB and replace PCV. near 70,000 miles of 50/50 hwy/city driving, almost always top-tier gasoline (shell lately). i did it because pinging at medium load hwy driving on 2 separate occasions (different gasoline). I've heard plugged EGR can cause pinging.

there were some deposits in the intake and EGR pipe but nothing critical. i could've waited till 150,000 miles easily. intake deposits comparable to that in corolla with 90,000 miles, but corolla had some oil in intake manifold, prius had little. corolla was oil burner since 75000 miles, prius is not burning any oil yet.

here is a question: i lost some coolant when disconnected coolant lines to TB, about 0.5 qt or less. what should i do to eliminate air from the cooling system? i haven't started the engine yet.

thanks!

2. CR94

CR94 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I don't know. On some cars (my last one, for example) one can release troublesome air bubbles by briefly disconnecting certain hoses. If the coolant pump can be made to run with the engine stopped, that should make de-aeration easier and safer.

Did you check for clogging of the EGR system upstream of the pipe, notably the EGR valve and cooler?

Good luck on banishing the knock.

3. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was there oil accumulated below the throttle body? I got down to my throttle body a few days back, and using a syringe and tube run through it, was able to pull up maybe 2~3 tablespoons before it started sucking air, and I called it done. It's was pooling in the black plastic elbow below the throttle body.

From PCV valve? I've done all the oil changes BTW, and the oil's never been overfilled, above top mark on dipstick.

5. Former Member 68813

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    you are right, the space below TB had some wet oil light reflection, but i didn't bother to clean it. unlike corolla's intake, no oil dripped from manifold when handled at different angles. i assumed negligible amounts.

Mendel Leisk likes this.