1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just don't get it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Weinerneck, Nov 12, 2005.

1. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Don't get me started again. :D

2. skijapan

skijapan Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Is it true that y'all in the US don't have driver's side seat height adjustment? I finally convinced my parents to get a Prius and they love it. The one conplaint they have is that the seat only goes forward and backward. Mine has crank lever right in front of the recline lever that raises and lowers the seat. Actually, it more drops your butt down and back or pushes it up and forward. It helps a lot. Is that really not an option on all US cars???

3. pinball

pinball New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    We have the seat height adjustment on UK models.....and disc brakes all round.....and EV.....and ... <_<
    Pinball

4. Locke01

Locke01 New Member

As far as acceleration goes. That's why there is something called a test drive. I test drove mine before I bought it and gunned it when I merged on the highway. IMO, its average at best. To me, for a fuel effecient econobox, thats what I expected.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

ya we no get no height adjustment lol. It's ridiculous. I haven't had 4-way adjustment since our 2000 Corolla. Even the Corolla now has height adjustment and the Sentra (Sunny) has 8-way manual adjustment!

6. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The dragstrip is needed because I do not condone nor participate in street races. It's way too dangerous and irresponsible.

I've driven numerous econoboxes (some weak, some so so like an 05 Ford Focus) and midsize cars w/comparable weight to a Prius but 65 hp more (03 and 04 4 cylinder Altimas [175 hp]). On the highway, at times, I've found myself having to floor them and and end up exclaiming "ugh! no power!" There's a lot of sound accompanied by little fury.

There are times when you do really need passing power to get around people on the highway, esp. if it's a 2 lane highway w/oncoming traffic. Having a car w/weak acceleration is riskier, requiries a bigger opening and a lot more planning.

When people make the claim that the Prius has "great power" or that 0-60 in 10 seconds is "fast", I find those claims misleading. Even many current minivans w/V6 engines would win in a drag race.

7. canon

canon New Member

Your points are well taken. You are correct all, of us look for different things at different stages of our life. I would be curious as to the percentage of owners that own a Prius because of it's differences, uniqueness and their ability to own and enjoy the car because of them. For the first time in my life I spend more time looking at the engine management and fuel economy than the speed and tach(what's that?) I blame this on maturity or better sense. I no longer look at a Hummer, Land Rover or a BMW with the same amount of fascination. I sometimes snicker when they pass me with enough draft to knock me off the road. Most of them just don't get it. How many times have I been passed by a young girl on the expressway at twice my speed, one hand on the steering wheel and talking on their cell phone. I am curious what they think (or don't think) when the put $75 in fuel in the tank while I am putting $20.

I would not be honest if I said that I don't fantasize about owning a large comfortable SUV that would get me 40mpg or more. Until then I will continue watching my fuel mileage.

I read this morning that Jeep just introduced a model with a new HEMI engine that will blow a Porshe Cayenne off the road. Frankly I don't think U.S. car makers get it but as long as they have buyers they will continue making these monsters.

8. igglue

igglue New Member

I bought the car for fuel economy and reliability. My last car was an A6 4.2 and from the comfort and speed, Prius is no match for it. But with 7 year warranty and pre-paid maintainance for 4 years, I have very little to think about besides wiper blades for the next 3 years. (2005 has that 3 years of tire/wheels and additional road side coverage).

For people who are used to muscle vehicles and anything with sub 7 seconds 0-60 performance Prius will feel slow. But my observation is that the launch (the first 0-10 miles) is quite good given the electric/gas combination where the electric kicks in. DC motors are know for the tourque. But that's when the power loss starts and by the time you get to 30mph, the car is huffing and puffing.

Granted, I've argued with co-workers who claimed my Prius can't accelerate on a hill at 40mph (bull, and he owns 2 Volkswagons. Dealing with Audi, I can only say 'sucker'), I have to say that the car isn't bad. I still get that "Your car won't pay back with the lower gas $", I really don't care.

What makes Prius an attractive car that it is one of it's one kind on the road. It is environmentally friendly, the fuel economical, practical like crazy (How much more room can you get out of the same space then Prius?), and not to mention that it's a technological marvel. I mean would you have imagined such car would existed 10 years ago?

Though I have to say that I still wish I had the mini cooper-s from time to time, I am very happy with my Prius because it is a unique automobile. But I wouldn't put down other cars. Every time someone comes up to me and put my car down, I really really pitty them. I mean they just wish they had my car but couldn't do it for some reason so they have to justify it. As I drive them to lunch, I often hear from the people in the back "Wow, I can't believe how much room this thing has.". I reply with a smile "Looks and perceptions can be deceiving. Now watch this thing fly up this hill!". That's when I look in the mirror and confirm my thoughts as I see the looks of envy.

:p

9. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well I have both of my new 06 prius's now.. neither one squeaks at all and the suspension is phenominal for a small car!...

I am still adding the BT plates.. Ill give a report after they are installed.

But the more I drive this car, the more I like and am impressed with it.

As far as power.. it will flat scat if you need to from a stop... nad has plenty of high end torque too.

Although electric seats would be cool.. if I had them I wouldn't use them because they fit me perfect. The lumbar support is right where I want it.

I have no complaints as of yet.