1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just don't understand

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by FJRCRAZED, May 19, 2006.

1. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    @ speed limit I get around 52-53 mph.... anything over cuts down on it as does rain... and man have we had rain here in NE latley

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ May 20 2006, 09:22 PM) [snapback]258673[/snapback]</div>
    It also could mean that the pumps at the gas station are set a little high. Gas stations always try to set their pumps with any error in their favor, so you almost never get more fuel than than stated; it's almost always a little less.

Tom

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 21 2006, 03:47 PM) [snapback]258893[/snapback]</div>
    I've always had a hard time measuring electrons by the gallon. The darn things are squishy. If you don't hold the lid down, they get all over the place. ;)

Tom

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(subarutoo @ May 22 2006, 12:54 PM) [snapback]259343[/snapback]</div>
    Regarding your last statement, I agree. It's either that or they're able to do a LOT of pulse driving like the hypermilers who set the record. I've read and try to use many of the various tricks mentioned on the forum already.

I haven't kept up at all w/the fuel economy section of the forum, but I'm curious if anyone meets all these criteria:
    - is in California
    - bought their Prius in California
    - has no EV switch and no CAN-View
    - has very little opportunity to pulse drive due to route
    - substantial part of their commute (at least 60% by mileage) is at highway speeds (60+ mph)
    - highway isn't all that level [my highway commute is definitely not flat: up 85 north from Almaden Expressway all the way to 101 then getting off shortly aftre the junction]
    - doesn't significantly overinflate their tires (<40 psi)
    - has a lifetime mpg of 50+

I think every station I fill up at has a sticker that says that the gas may contain up to 10% ethanol. Perhaps our gasoline blend in combination w/California versions of vehicles hurts our mileage? Is the Cali version different? According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/findacar.htm, the versions sold in primarily in CA, MA, ME, NY, VT are SULEV II and get an EPA air pollution score of 9.5/10. Most of the rest of the US [non-blue and non-yellow states] supposedly get BIN 3 Priuses w/EPA score of 8/10.

As a side note, on a Larry King Live, CEO of Chevron mentioned that there are 18 different formulation of gas. The assertion of different formulations by region has matched what the media has been reporting for a long time.

The other possibilities are that I just suck, am driving too aggressively/incorrectly, am driving too fast on the highway, my car's no broken in yet at 6K miles, lifetime mpg is poor due to receiving car in a colder month [January] and/or something's wrong w/my car.

4. Tripod137

Tripod137 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Traveling to NJ (and back), I normally get about 51MPG. That was when I first got the car in Jan '06. Yesterday, I worked on my gliding, warp stealth, accelerating quickly up to speed, staying at the speed limit. At 64F, I got 57mpg in rush hour traffic. I was MOST impressed...and had fun doing it.

While doing down hill at 55...in warp stealth...does anyone notice a feeling of drag? More so than w/ gliding under 40mph?