1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just feel terrible

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RikRotorhead, Dec 30, 2005.

1. RikRotorhead

RikRotorhead New Member

I traded in my 04 Toyota Corolla (32 mpg) for my new Prius, I paid $5k over sticker (they were rare several mos. ago) and I only avg. 32mpg :angry: My husband laughs at me, he told me not to waste my money (it took me years to scrimp and save money, it was supposed to be for our Alaska Vacation :( ) he came outside and told me that it will take me 5 years to recoup my $5k in gas money, he drives a Chevy Avalanche that gets 19mpg and wouldn't dream of even riding in my "Jap Crap"... I'm just sick over this :( I like the car but I really can't even bring myself to enjoy driving it anymore, I feel like such an old fool for investing my money in this car. Does anyone get better mileage ? Did anybody else pay over sticker for their Prius ? My own son is upset with my purchase, he drives a new Dodge Daytona and calls me a tree hugger for buying a green car.

I'm sorry for sounding so forlorn but I just can't get excited about my new purchase.

Gerty

2. okm36

okm36 New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

are you in cold weather? I have a 2005 in Milan il at 40 degrees and above I can do 50 mpg plus. we had some 0 to 20 degree stuff and 38 was the best. it will get better!
    my first one! had a GMC z71 4x4 15 mpg if I took it easy? saving a bunch make sure the tires are 40 front 38 rear. you will learn to LOVE it! Orrin

3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow, no offense but your husband and son aren't very supportive and supposedly still think they're manly by driving a big truck.

Where are you located? Terrain and climate make a big difference (the reason why those of us in Florida get 60mpg in the summer while the rest of us in the hilly region are stuck with 45-55mpg)

Also, check out efusco's thread in the KB Section on why you don't get the EPA mileage. He gives very helpful hints on how to maximise your mileage without driving like a granny.

4. RikRotorhead

RikRotorhead New Member

We have 2700 acres in Arizona, we need a truck, on wet days I have to park my Prius miles away from our home because it would just get stuck in the mud [Broken External Image]:http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v87/bp_fire/vacation/index.jpg and my husband Rik has to come rescue me :unsure: in his Avalanche. I could just keep a couple horses on the edge of our property and ride one of them, at least they wouldn't ridicule me the entire way back :angry:

5. TidelandTravis

TidelandTravis New Member

If it's any condolence... my friends chide me for ditching my $85k mercedes for a prius and I rarely avg over 40mpg in any weather condition in Los Angeles... I've never even gotten close to 50mpg even one tank when I was trying. But it's not costing me over 1200/month on a lease and $60 to fill up like my beloved benz was. So, F#$% them, I really don't care, the car just makes sense.

6. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

the more I read, the more I feel something ain't right about this thread.....

there are so many inconsistencies about that story, it ain't even funny.

I smell a troll :angry:

7. Astrotoy7

Astrotoy7 New Member

lolz... as great as Prii are, they arent really appropriate for stompin around such a large acreage !!

I would read up about the art and science that is involved in driving a prius to maximise its potential. I was averaging mid-low 40s, but after studying and applying the driving guidelines I am going towards a steady 50+mpg average. Its currently hot here in Oz(requiring a/c use), but when summer is over im quite confident of getting 50-55 regularly :) sure beats my old car (22mpg) !!

and sorry about your hubby, he sounds like a wanker :(

8. GreenMachine

GreenMachine New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Hubby is getting 19mpg in the mud and dirt on the ranch?

Chevy Avalanche EPA Ratings (Usually higher than real life)
    MPG (city)
    MPG (highway)
    MPG (combined)

Your old Corolla got 32 mpg and your Prius now gets the same 32 mpg and he figures it will take five years to save $5,000 on fuel at that rate?

Hubby math challanged?

9. StuartS

StuartS New Member

It's about time your husband & son repected your choice, bet they done help with the housework. Stick with the Prius and start to discipline them, men feel much better when the woman's in charge.

A Northern Male

10. hobbit

hobbit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That "jap crap" is kicking our manly american asses from here to
    hell and gone from an engineering standpoint, but it's not magic.
    You have to work at it a little bit, and presumably the reason you're
    reading the forums here is to find out all those better-mileage
    hints and start applying them. About the same time you get good
    at driving technique, the engine will become more broken-in, which
    people have observed is a significant factor by itself. So,
    patience. The Prius will teach you patience if you allow it to.
    _H*

11. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

Gerty,
    Explain a few things for us.

1. Did your hubby have to rescue you when you were driving your Corolla?
    2. Have you tried any techniques described here for driving the car?
    3. What is the topography where you drive?
    4. What are the temperatures?
    5. Is the hubby concerned with the milage of the car at all, or is he a typical ignorant, American big truck kinda guy???
    6. Does he call all the Japanese-made cars "Jap crap" or just your Prius?
    7. How many dealers have you visited before purchasing your Prius $5000 over sticker
    8. What was the reason you bought the Prius on the first place?

And the last one

Whether you are a tree hugger or not, WHAT'S WRONG WITH BEING ONE?????

12. pjm877

pjm877 Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    no tree-hugger here and I live in truck country Texas.

Ask your "boy" why does he wants to be seen in that toy of a truck as the Dodge Daytona. For Ranch work (and 2700 ac is a Ranch, is that close to a section? we talk sections from where I come from), he should be using a GMC Duramax™ 6600 Turbo Diesel V8 Manual with dual locking rear wheels or a Ford Super Duty 6.0l Power Stroke® Turbo Diesel 32-valve V8... Dodge Might have a Truck in this class?

Now those "TRUCKS" are a real working mans kind of horse. And, the power/torque that the diesel will provide... Bet you get Diesel as the Ag rate.

And stuck.. I have see bulldozers get stuck in the Oil country..

For this geek/nurd the Prius will do just fine...

On my last trip out to WT I got 44+ at 75mph with a head wind.

AND, $5k over ... Some in hollywird paid more...

just my thoughts.. you hang in there..

13. Schmika

Schmika New Member

RikRotorhead, you have a LOT of bigger problems than the Prius. Get out now, while the gettin' is good. You suffer from disrespectful males.

14. Arklier

Arklier New Member

Tell him that by general popular consensus there's an inverse relationship between the size of a man's vehicle and the size of his penis.

Sorry I don't have anything to add about gas milage, since I don't have my Prius yet. My Corolla gets better milage than his Avalanche though.

15. Jack 06

Jack 06 New Member

Winters, CA: Prius capital of US. 30 miles W of S
    Really? Did the factory forget to install your traction battery?

If you get on the freeways during gridlock, you should get 60 MPG at times!

What's the problem, mate?

16. maggieddd

maggieddd Senior Member

so where is RikRotorhead? Has she been forbidden to post here by the husband?

17. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

18. pfile

pfile Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    don't feed the troll :)

19. prius_pride

prius_pride New Member

You traded in a 1-year old 32 mpg car? What was the emergency that caused you to think you needed to pay $5,000 over sticker??? Why did it take you 'years' to scrimp and save money, if you only had a 1-year old car?

Does anyone get better mileage? You betcha. Did anybody else pay over sticker for their Prius? Not so many.

20. OUscarb

OUscarb Member

Funny, I sold a 2004 Avalanche to buy a Prius, You're not going to lie to me about 19mpg, ain't no way. My sister still has one too, 13-16mpg with a 20mph wind behind you MAX! Plus a 34 gallon tank to guzzle. $70 fill ups, I liked the truck but the MPG were hideous.

Now go away troll!!