1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just feel terrible

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by RikRotorhead, Dec 30, 2005.

1. naterprius

naterprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    A "Troll" is a person who is "trollling." Typically, trolling for incendiary comments, to try to rile you up, to make you angry because they think it's funny.

From "The New Hacker's Dictionary" by Eric S. Raymond:

"To utter a posting on Usenet designed to attract predictable responses or flames. Derives from the phrase "trolling for newbies" which in turn comes from mainstream "trolling", a style of fishing in which one trails bait through a likely spot hoping for a bite. The well-constructed troll is a post that induces lots of newbies and flamers to make themselves look even more clueless than they already do, while subtly conveying to the more savvy and experienced that it is in fact a deliberate troll. If you don't fall for the joke, you get to be in on it.

Some people claim that the troll is properly a narrower category than flame bait, that a troll is categorized by containing some assertion that is wrong but not overtly controversial."

Hard to say if we have a troll. It's best not to pass judgment until you read the replies to questions. (Temp, route, terrain, speeds, etc).

The newbie will reveal himself, as will the troll. 32 MPG is quite possible on a Prius if you drive it a certain way, in certain conditions. Yes, it's unlikely, but possible.

My advice? Come back in the spring, see if mileage improves.

Nate

2. QED

QED New Member

If you are truely who you say you are, you have a lot bigger problems than buyers remorse. Make yourself feel better and get rid of the car, then get rid of your husband.

If you are not who you say you are, then using the phrase "Jap Car" just makes you a moronic, insensitive, bigot. And worse, you don't even know it. Good day.

3. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    One person uses the "T" word and suddenly a crowd jumps on it. Interesting social dynamic, in'nt; no one wants to be taken for a chump.

RikRotorhead, keep driving the Prius. The fuel economy should improve. Your husband sounds like a product of his times and your son is a jerk.

4. owl20

owl20 New Member

Tideland, I really don't understand how your MPG can be so....unspectacular. I live and drive in So. Cal., and after 9 days of driving my 2006 Prius, I am at 53 MPG. My commute includes the 57, the 22, and Brookhurst, during peak travel periods. Just curious, what do you attribute your MPG Results to? I hope your results improve.

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Ah, the internet... You get all sorts... :lol:

The answer to your original post is very simple:

You're not driving it right.

You've got to be gentle with that gas pedal, and make the most use of the topography of the land. On a crappy winter day with the heat set to 80 I'll average about 43mpg, and I'm certainly not holding up traffic, or "putting" around, by any means. Conversely, I'm not blowing by cars at 75mph either...

Keep at it, you'll get there!

:D

6. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Avalanche getting 19? Yah... could happen...

But not day in, day out, tank after tank on all kinds of terrain. If they were on a road trip, cruising at 70 on a good flat road with a tailwind... yah... maybe...

I have a friend who's dodge diesel gets 23mpg.... Well, yah.. on the above mentioned condition. He normally drives with the foot to the floor and a great smoke flying out the back.

My F250 gets around 17-18 mpg.. http://d.spicher.home.comcast.net/prius/mileage.htm

That's over the last 11,000 miles in the last 4 months. If he tracks the avalanche like that, we're going to see 14.. maybe...

I don't think it all adds up like you see it here in this thread..

7. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

For you folks who want to be PC (politically correct in this case) and be sympathic to Rik without hurting "her" feelings, knock it off. You make yourself sound like an idiot.....I suggest you read all 3 of "her" posts again, carefully, ....line by line.

then read them again, between the lines.

Break it down and let it tell you the whole story. None of it makes sense and is almost 100 percent contradictory.

TROLL!!!!!!!

The last post really wrapped the package.....

The 61 year old wife of a CFO of a department in the oil industry who owns a small fleet of trucks, flies about in a helicopter, lives on 26 or 27 acres, etc. And has to scrimp and save $5000 over years for a vacation. Also, mentions after the first post that this is the first Japanese car, when in the first post, "she" traded in the Corolla..

If this were a real person, she is a very abused woman who is kept for slave labor and has bigger issues than the supposed mpg of her supposed car that she didn't post a picture of because her husband's Avalunch is more important to post on a Prius Chat forum.

Com'n people, stop trying to appease the Troll.

We are all a great group of people here in Prius Chat that are like a close knit family. If someone wants to honestly be a part of that family - BS'ing is not going to help you.

No sweat off my nuts....I just don't appreciate people trying to pull the wool over my eyes.