1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured I Just Finished My Review of the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by TonyPSchaefer, Jul 1, 2016.

1. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    If anyone's interested, I just wrapped up and published my review of the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid. All-in-all, I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did. The overall MPG it delivered seriously surprised me.

Check it out here: 2016 Toyota RAV4 Hybrid » What Drives Us

cthindi, Jim in NC, Chazz8 and 5 others like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i was thinking just the opposite, i'm glad you were pleasantly surprised.(y)

3. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Well written. One suggestion is to list the temps during your testing, I don't recall that and it would affect the HVAC operation.

But I'd love to know what MPG you get in other Prius variations over the same routes. The 43ish you got is 10 over EPA and more than I get in my v but the RAV4h is bigger, heavier, 4WD, has a larger displacement ICE, etc.

I drove a RAV4h for only about a mile and was likewise impressed. Enough so I'd want to give up 8 MPG EPA and the cash to swap cars, I didn't think so.

#3 mikefocke, Jul 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  4. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Yeah but didn't you test it in ideal local weather conditions for mileage? Fuelly shows that EPA estimates (or lower) for most vehicles are very close to real world when you average in the whole country with its varied climates and conditions and drivers. Me? I have a hard time matching EPA down here in the heat and wind in any vehicle.

The Rav hybrid wasn't yet available when I was shopping for a family all-arounder and bought our Subaru Outback. This was a shame since we owned an original '96 back in the day and loved it. A lot. So, I had some regrets when I heard the hybrid hit the market but no longer when I got to compare all the specs. The RAV optioned out the same as our loaded OutBack Limited is $1K more yet would only save $150 year in gas over our 4cyl. Plus, the RAV is smaller, heavier, lower tow rating, and lower safety rating. A bonus is the OutBack is the first car we've ever owned that is getting EPA or (slightly) better in our real world driving.

FWIW

5. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    First of all, thanks for taking the time to read the review. Seriously. :)

I had it June 1 - June 8 which, according to Weather.com, showed temps ranging from 51˚ mornings and 80˚ afternoons. So with the HVAC set to AUTO, the heater came on in the mornings and the compressor in the evenings. My wife parks in the garage so it really was cold in the morning and it sits outside in the parking lot so the cabin really was hot in the evenings.

When I'm testing a car like this, I'm not in full-on hypermile mode. My goal is to be normal driver; okay, that's impossible because normal drivers are idiots so I try to at least not be a mileage-obsessed fanatic. Besides, I'm not really writing my reviews for the hypermiling crowd, which is why the hybridability part is near the bottom. I try to review the car for where I was 13 years ago: I was researching a really cool car loaded with all kinds of cool technology and oh by the way it's a hybrid that gets really good mileage. Not really trying to convince Prius owners to switch; trying to convince conventional owners to switch. But, of course, only if the hybrid part is worth it.

Other Prii over the same routes (I drive the exact same three routes with all cars):
    • 2004, Gen2 Prius: All my records are mushed together in tank averages and I don't, anymore keep daily route records. However, it was with the exact same drives that I would average average high-60s and, I think 4 tanks over 70mpg. All that is recorded over the years here on Priuschat.
    • 2016, Gen4 Prius: I drove that car in February. In Chicago. Butt-nice person cold. To quote that review: "my worst day was at 37˚ when I averaged only 58.9MPG. That evening, the commute was highlighted with a winter storm of mixed snow and rain" . . . "The final mileage for my time was 62.3MPG" That review is here: 2016 Prius in Review | PriusChat

BTW, I'm getting the Gen4 back next week for warm-weather hypermilability runs. My goal will be to see some 80mpg commutes and a week average much closer to 70mpg.

Ashlem likes this.
  6. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you took some vacation time:
    • 4 days, 10 hours driving, 25 mph -> 1,000 miles (250 miles per day) ... one tank!
    Leave that on the vehicle history. <GRINS>

Bob Wilson

7. DonDNH

DonDNH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Was the one you drove in the picture? Just curious where the chrome tires came from.:ROFLMAO:

8. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Something still is unusual in your MPG results. Fuelly, for 61 cars 600+ fuelups RAV4 2.5/electric 2016 model, shows 33.6 MPG average with no one above 46.

I drive my v in ECO, when I can 3 miles below the highway speed limits, very mixed driving and AUTO HVAC settings with +3 PSI in the tires. I get spot on EPA numbers. So to me your getting so much higher than EPA and other drivers says you must be at least unconsciously using some technique that a person coming from a CRV would not be likely to use. Or there is some fuel shutoff at the pump or such that is skewing the numbers. (I've gotten 70+ MPG on an early shutoff followed by below 30 on the next tank so I'm especially conscious of the need for multi tank long term averages when citing my MPG.)

9. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I can't speak for other people's experiences. What I know is this: I've spent 12 years here on PriusChat and I would like to think people know me as a straight shooter. When I report my mileage, it's accurate for my experience.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    tony, i just realized i joined exactly one year after you. how weird is that?

TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  11. TonyPSchaefer

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nah. Try as I did, I couldn't get a better picture than the one Toyota had on their site. Most of the interior shots are mine. You know: the ones that don't look professionally touched up.

12. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A

Great review. I can definitely see where it punches the v sales. I only wish my v had push-button power hatch. When at the dealer, I played with it a few times, then sighed. Definitely a much more versatile cargo hold than mine as well. I will note that as nice as the new Rav4 is, I actually preferred driving the last gen.

It does appear that you get much better mileage from your cars than most, even without trying much.

13. Stevevee

Stevevee Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Unofficial review from a buddy. New Prius down the street, and we have to look at the side view getting out of here. It's the darker grey color.

He saw it, and asked, "So Saturn is back in business?"

I laughed hard. Yes, it is ugly, and yes, from that side view, it does look like a 2016 Saturn. I've noticed that color has a much larger role in the looks of the Gen 4 than previous models. Most of the Gen 4's I've seen seem to have flat paint, making them a bit more drab. In the showroom, I almost started to like them. But as I see more and more on the road, I've lost that kinda feeling.

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Drive for efficiency long enough, and you consciously have to try to not too.

15. bhtooefr

bhtooefr Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah, you're going to have good braking habits that will actually allow the system to regen, and good acceleration habits that keep the engine out of the most inefficient regimes.

There's a lot of people that don't anticipate lights, and run "WOT to ABS". WOT will hurt acceleration efficiency, ABS will prevent regen.

16. Pijoto

Pijoto Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ain't that the truth...sometimes I have to force myself not to go too slow to keep up with traffic.

Good review, considered the RAV4 Hybrid for awhile, great mileage for an CUV; the AWD, tons of extra space, and decent towing capability would've been nice to have for my occasional camping trips, but the Prius just made more sense for 95% of my needs...50MPG vs 33MPG is hard to overlook...I could probably coax it up to 35+ MPGs, but doubt I could hit 40+ in the review.

My dream is still a RAV4 Hybrid Plug-In...maybe in 10 years battery tech will get cheaper, smaller, and more efficient to make that one a reality without too many compromises.

17. Ashlem

Ashlem Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    I test drove one a few months back. I could see why people like SUV's and trucks, since I liked the higher seating position which allows you to see more of the road around you.

But to go from a Prius averaging 55 mpg, and then a Chevy Volt and not using gas for months at a time, for me the Rav4 hybrid would feel like a step backwards in terms of decreasing gas usage.

Not saying it's a bad car, and I'm sure I'm more of an outlier than a typical driver. I hope the average person who looks at ways of saving gas will consider this one.

TonyPSchaefer likes this.
  18. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony,
    I'm glad you like the way it drives. Some of the reviews have been rather brutal, suggesting it almost feels unsafe. I'd be interested in hearing your comments on that.
    I'm particularly interested because my wife is considering the VW diesel buyback plan, and one of her thoughts is she might want to get a RAV4 Hybrid instead.

19. cthindi

cthindi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Tony,

Thanks for the review. I just bought 2018 Rav4H LE for a great price and your review helped a lot. Although it was for 2016, I do not think there are major differences.

My 2005 Prius still doing fine with 340K miles also played a great deal in sealing the decision for me.

TonyPSchaefer and bisco like this.