1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just paid $2.45 for gasoline! But what effect will this have on hybrid sales?

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Nov 1, 2008.

1. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sales will go up when PHEV are released and people realize you can bypass fuel stations and recharge at home. We are now faced with massive national debt, deflation, inflation (stagflation?), and failing 401(k)s. People look for economic sustainability, no matter what the price of fuel.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Me too. Actually, I've been seeing more of them right around the time when gas was at the peak ($4) and area dealers started to have all sorts of sweetened deals for them. Now that prices are in the $2 range, I've been seeing more agressive and fast drivers. Sigh...

As for hybrid sales, I believe supply will continue to be outpaced by demand for some time. Any temporary reduction in demand will be good for those consumers who really want/need a hybrid. We don't need to see inflated prices such as $28K for a used Prius. That's just plain ridiculous.

3. Genoz World

Genoz World ZEN-style living

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    good thoughts people.

RYBOLD - why dont you drive a prius? you seem to be rather knowledgeable of the topic.............

cheers

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I was amazed to fill up at Costco for $2.399/gal for regular today. Per San Jose Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in California they were by far the cheapest in a 24 hour period and surprisingly even cheaper than the Arcos listed there. Not surprisingly, the lines were pretty long.

On the way home, I saw regular at non-Arcos for $2.62 to ~$2.85/gal.

Just a little over 3 weeks ago, I paid $3.34/gal to fill my Prius.

5. BurkPhoto@aol.com

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I just bought a 2009 Touring Edition Prius a week ago tonight. The price of gas can go to $.88 a gallon for all I care. I bet it won't, but if it does, I'll have a ridiculously low gas bill.

I bought the Prius because I don't believe in importing oil from people who hate the US. NO other reasons, other than the fact that the car is cool.

If we all drove hybrids, we could probably avoid importing at least half the oil we get from the Middle East, Venezuela, etc.

This car turns heads. People love it or hate it. Mostly, they fear it. It's an unknown to them. Hell, I've driven Toyotas since 1977, and I have no fear... They just work. The Prius is the Macintosh of the car world.:D

6. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    YESSSSSSSSSSSSS. completely agreed. good call!:flame::nod::first:

7. spitinuri

spitinuri Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    $1.99/gal in Columbia Missouri today.

8. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've been thinking the same thing ... hypermilers in hybrids are [practically] getting around for free these days.

Oh, I totally agree with you. It's a multitude of causes that are compounding the net effect of global warming. Poor choice of a word. Instead of saying that SUVs are "causing" global warming, I should have supplanted "causing" with "perpetuating." I've been thinking about a solution for commercial aircraft for a long time now. So far, the best I've arrived at is ... (first, assuming all passenger cars are EVs) .. grow biofuel to absorb carbon, then use that as jet fuel. Yes, I know that the production of biofuels is highly inefficient, but it might be the only alternative if you want to cross the Atlantic or Pacific without having to go by boat.

Just until recently, there were huge waiting lists and the asking price for pre-owned Prius cars was more than the price of the new ones. My Corolla's 35-to-38 mpg works great and I can still afford to make my mortgage payments. (my Corolla is paid off, btw) As prices come back down to earth, I will likely begin shopping around. Additionally, with several manufacturers coming out with new hybrids in 2010, I'm also waiting to see what my options for a new next-gen hybrid will be before switching over. I'm also hoping that the next generation of hybrids will have larger regen motors; and be able to capture more energy. If the new hybrids can be significantly more efficient than the current hybrids, then there is a very good chance you will see me in a 2010 Prius. :D

9. Genoz World

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    RYBOLD - makes sense to me. in this economy, we gotta do whatever will save us the most amount of money. being a real estate broker, a mortgage is substantially more important than making a car payment. i came from a '06 cadillac sts V8, so my prius most than doubled <<maybe tripled>> city and highway.

good luck on your 2010 prius endeavors.

10. Jimmie84

Jimmie84 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    $1.99 here in Saint Paul, MN. Costed me $21.00 to fill up my truck.

Kind of amazing how people said we would see $5.00 per gallon this fall. Makes you really think who is speculating oil prices.

11. pewd

pewd Clarinet Dude

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    1.89 in sherman tx last tuesday.
    i'm getting change back from a $20 again.

and , as stated above, i'm seeing the hummers back on the streets
    and they're driving faster on the freeways again.

too bad, folks were actually getting serious about conservation a few months ago

12. Deyner

Deyner New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I was Indianapolis, last 2 weeks where $1.99 was the norm.

Just like the housing bubble were people over-extended themselves with mortgage credit. I had been expecting a correction and ohh what a correction is going on.

So for the high price of fuel, I was encouraged by the decisions some were making, to look for a more economical vehicle when prices were high.

Both of these are zero-sum games, so although I am saddened for those with children who are losing their homes or my neighbor who was spending over $700 in fuel to go to work.

Which this goes back to the poor choices to over extend or to have vehicles that have greater pollution, I agreed with the correction as needed to change the behavior unfortunately both came with really unpleasant repercussions.

I hope that those for whom the choice is beyond economics but a commitment to contribute towards a more eco-friendly balance and not be part of unnecessary consumption that we continue to reach out and seek out other possibilities.

Yes, we live in America and we preach a Free Economy, selling homes to each other at ever higher prices, retail and industrial sales are our markers. But when do we stop, look around and see what our devouring consumption is costing us beyond the hit by the price of gas in our wallets. I do what I can and it may not be much, but I am sticking with my better Prius. My 02 Prius was good. I hope the next one is best.