1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just picked up an 07 prius and HATE it!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Priusguy07, Jul 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cireecnop1

cireecnop1 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What happen to the "troll" ha ha thats a funny nickname.

anyway that mileage claim is total Bull! I have total disregard for speed and have lead feet and I still have a lifetime (5months 7500 miles) average between 44-45mpg. This is the best car on the road, granted its missing a few features that my other cars have had but other than that its GREAT!!!

And reference the age thing......I was 20 when I bought mine and I paid $35,000(had to roll over a loan and paid for the clear bra)

2. Pegasus_

Pegasus_ New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 2 2007, 09:56 AM) [snapback]471479[/snapback]</div>
    Dude, you realize that's old highway EPA for a compact?! ('99 Chev Prizm/Toyo Corolla) That's awesome!

One question: did you have the A/C on full blast too?

Also, I would take it easy during the break-in period (600mi,) then have at it. The manual recommends taking it easy during break-in to ensure better lifetime performance. I sure am. ;)

3. BexarWolf

BexarWolf New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bigscrb15 @ Jul 2 2007, 09:44 AM) [snapback]471471[/snapback]</div>

Ummm, you hiring where you work? Or would you like to adopt a 45 year old son? I'm housebroken. :D

On the MPG side of this thread, we've had our '07 for about 3 months and are ready to roll over 10,000 miles. Our average MPG is 47. My wife drives it 120 miles round trip on a daily basis (mostly Interstate) and we've had it on a few 500 mile round trip runs. IF the MPG is going to increase, I'll be happy.

BUT, since we were doing the same trips in an 18mpg Jeep over the past year, 47mpg is really REALLY good for us. We didn't purchase strictly for fuel savings but more for "green" savings. But when we combine the fuel savings with the monthly payments, we're still a little bit on the positive side of savings. So, new car + good gas mileage + car payment = almost breaking even. I'm happy with that.

4. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Slair @ Jul 2 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]471479[/snapback]</div>
    Have you tried traveling no more than 5 minutes at a time?

Try driving as carefully as you can during the next tank. However as soon as the first 5 minute bar shows up on the consumption screen, take a look at the value and then imagine that's the point when you arrive at your destination every time you drive. If all your trips are short, then the value of that first 5 minute bar is in the ball park of the mileage you would get. And it ain't anywhere near 40 MPG. More like 25 to 35 MPG.

5. ZA_Andy

ZA_Andy Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In my case, my first 5 minutes tends to be around 40, though it doesn't take much aggression at all in that first 5 mins to push the number down.

6. alanh

alanh Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I've been averaging 43MPG, with about 1000 miles on the car. I've been running the A/C full blast, but it's been 113F here, so I don't have much choice on that. B)

7. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Just to clarify, EVERYONE missed my purpose in pointing out the age. IF someone that young HAS managed to earn (or get) that kind of money, one would think they would RESEARCH the product they're buying and so would know more about how to get good mileage. I was NOT saying that a 19 year old couldn't have or make that much money.

8. bigscrb15

bigscrb15 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(BexarWolf @ Jul 2 2007, 01:34 PM) [snapback]471582[/snapback]</div>

Sure, we are always hiring, how do you look in fishnet stockings, gstring, and no top? :lol:

j/k....

We own a small family business, it is construction related so right now is not a very good time to be in it. Housing dropped and so did our business, it is hard right now, but it will level out and get better like always.

9. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    1. The Prius has the interior dimensions of the Camry, with the exterior dimensions of the Corolla. So swapping to a Camry doesn't get you anything

2. Treat the accelerator like you're squeezing an egg with your foot - and you don't want to break it. Takes practice but it'll pay off.

We've had our '07 for just over a week. The MPG has steadily risen, from approx 40 mpg initially to around 45 mpg now.

10. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(1x1 @ Jul 2 2007, 03:27 PM) [snapback]471675[/snapback]</div>

I think I have probably broken a couple of dozen eggs.

I do notice it coasts on hills pretty well.

Atlanta does not have synchronized traffic lights -its kills my buzz

11. DaveSheremata

DaveSheremata New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  12. douglas001001

douglas001001 smug doug

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Although if the person was real and drove around in "B" mode all the time (OP said couldn't ever get it to run on batteries and it isn't uncommon for salespeople to say B is battery mode) they might get low 30s from it.

Wouldn't that result in no regen from braking and then forced recharge from ICE when battery gets low, thus killing mpg?

13. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jul 2 2007, 01:08 AM) [snapback]471344[/snapback]</div>
    Oh, NO. He - she - it - whatever ... is ON to us. All those crazy 60mpg & 600+ mile tanks of gas. Yeah, (s)he's on to us all right. The jig is up. We are all photoshop experts, and those tank fulls, ... yea that's just our artistic license. Oh, and did we forget to mention? We are all the same person. There ARE no othre I.D.'s ... we are really all Evan showing of our schizophrenic behavior when we forget our meds. ok, now that you're on to us ... whoops ... I mean "ME" ... you can go back to doing what you were doing before you figured us ... I mean "ME" OUT. Have a nice day in your Silverado.

:rolleyes:

14. mhawkin1

mhawkin1 Matt

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I work at a private university - $30,000 is not that much for a 19 year old's car these days. Unfortunate, but true. You would be amazed at the number of RX 330 -350's on our campus, driven by students.

15. Dirtnapper

Dirtnapper Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Heard a similar complaint from a lady that just got one...she just pressed down on the pedal and off she drove...takes some time to learn how to drive this it seems. Since we had ours we are on average 51mpg...love it!

16. Winston

Winston Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I bet she is driving it in the "B" mode. B for Blonde. After all, "D" is for Dumb people.

17. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I knew a kid in college that drove a Cayenne S, which was an upgrade from a X5 4.4i. He didn't pay for it, though. And he was a twit. Maybe this is him?

18. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think there are people who can get crappy mileage with the Prius:

Last week I dropped the car off at the dealer for an alignment. I had just reset the MFD the day before when I filled up and it read 49.9 mpg with 16 miles driven.

When I picked the car up that afternoon, the MFD read 36.6 with 19 miles driven. So the tech at the dealership dropped me from 49.9 to 36.6 only driving it 3 miles. :eek:

19. LKJR

LKJR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've had my Prius for just over a year...last summer/fall I was getting about 45-46 mpg, this spring and summer so far I have been getting 49-50 (using AC)....I'm at about 13,000 miles now....so I definitely think there is a "break in" period after about 10,000 miles. (I make two short drives a day, each less than 20 minutes with lots of hills and at least one very short (sometimes 2) trip(s) a day are less than 5 minutes....so I think I'm doing pretty good considering these short drives). Surprisingly (?) I don't think that the AC gives me a big hit, ...now using the heater in the winter is another story!

The worse mileage I've ever gotten is probably 43 MPG during the winter using the heater a lot. (I improved mileage after blocking the grill...I might go with a block heater next winter). I can't see how someone could be getting only 34-35 mpg unless they only did a lot of 5-10 minute drives.

20. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dogfriend @ Jul 2 2007, 08:02 PM) [snapback]471947[/snapback]</div>
    When I filled up the tank in the winter, if I just went straight home after filling the tank (the gas station is about a half mile away), I'd often get MPG 25 for the first five or so miles, and about 30 MPG for the first 10 to 15.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.