1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just saw a Prius C test car in Southern California

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Rybold, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    On my way to work this morning, I saw a Prius C test car exiting the 5 Fwy in Laguna Hills. Unfortunately, I was getting on the freeway and there was no opportunity to take a picture.

I would describe it as the size of a Honda Fit / Volkswagen GTI, except shaped like a Gen III Prius, but slightly longer / stretched in length vs width compared to the Gen III Prius.

Sorry I couldn't get any pictures. It was covered in black "fabric," but clearly a Prius in shape and smaller than a Gen III.

Added: It looked just like the spy pics on the other thread, except covered in black cloth.

2. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks, I can't quite get the picture in my mind. The prototype photo looked like they chopped off part of the back of the prius (made it shorter and moved the spoiler up). Its too bad it doesn't look more like the prototype, but I didn't really expect that would make it into production.

Thanks for spotting it.

3. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

did it look as wide as prius but smaller in lenght?

4. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I didn't get a good enough look to be able to say whether it was wider or narrower than a regular Gen III Prius. My overall/quick look was that it is definitely smaller, overall than a Prius. It appeared to be based on a Yaris chassis (that's a guess, based on the size).

Yaris Liftback:
    [​IMG]
    http://autos.yahoo.com/toyota/yaris/2011/liftback-3-door-mt/

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It would make sense if they're not bringing the Yaris Hybrid over. The Prius c is meant to fill that gap.

6. pudgie_child

pudgie_child Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I suspect that the Prius C is the Yaris Hybrid, at least based on the spy photos we've seen to this point.

I, for one, am a little disappointed, but maybe Toyota will pleasantly surprise us with the sticker price.

7. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think it is the Yaris Hybrid HSD concept with Prius styling. What I wanted from the concept mostly was the location of the headlights. I knew the rear glass and tailgate was going to be different because the concept did not have a functional tailgate.

We live in a society who do not understand that form follows function and would have heard that the car is controversial because of the lights. If it is rated at a combined 60mpg, that would be a game-changer if I may borrow the term that GM likes so much.

18 pictures from netcarshow.com.
    Toyota Yaris HSD Concept wallpaper # 01 of 18, Front Angle, MY 2011, 800x600

1 person likes this.
  8. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

yeah, think is next gen Yaris is one size up from one on the pic :)

9. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess I'm one of the few that didn't like the headlights on the concept. I'm glad Toyota evidently has decided not to make the Prius C look like a mutant frog.

I don't get why people are disapointed. If it's under $20,000 and becomes the standard hybrid with the highest MPG, imo that's a slam dunk win all by itself.

I think as a "smaller Prius" it looks sporty enough. I champion efficiency more than "looks".

I can't wait until this product is available.

I'd love a sunroof...is that asking too much...just a regular openable, closeable sunroof...

10. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seriously? The Yaris is a good size (same as the Fit).. why make it bigger? It's fairly spacious inside too.

The underpinnings, maybe but the body should be different.

They should. It's supposed to be cheaper than the standard Prius.

11. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    WOW! That could very well have been what was under that black cloth.
    It seemed a little longer, but it could have just been the angle I was looking at it and they may have put extra shapes under the black cloth.

When I say "longer," I mean like this:
    [​IMG]

I WISH I COULD HAVE TAKEN A PICTURE! WE COULD BE ANALYZING THE SHAPE TO A MUCH BETTER DEGREE RIGHT NOW.

12. WE0H

WE0H Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Wow that spy Prius photo looks identical to the Yaris HSD photo.

Mike

13. spwolf

spwolf Senior Member

it was by far the smallest in the class,so they had to make it longer by 10cm, and stretch wheelbase by 5cm... it is probably still smallest but not by a lot.

14. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Yaris is a good looking car despite the snub-nosed look. I think if they elongate the hood a bit it would be the perfect small car. I respect that many of you want a totally unique and new body style but that raises production costs and since the idea here is to lower the price point such that many more people can afford a hybrid, I think using styling cues and such that don't require massive retooling is a good idea.

15. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    An important factor in aerodynamics is that the hood and windshield are one continuous plane (see image above). If you lengthen the hood, you will have to lengthen the windshield and it will be even more horizontal and less vertical. The Prius c is supposed to be the mpg, and therefore aerodynamic leader, so you are probably going to have to accept that shorter hoods are the future of all cars.

16. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I agree 100% with Rybold. I happen to really like the shape of the Prius and just like the new civic, the A pillar continues pretty much with the windshield. Anytime someone mentions the look of the Prius, their judgement is based on what has already been programmed in their cortex since growing up. We are a creature of habits and we don't like change, we judge things based on what we already know.

There is a reason why an aircraft is not designed for looks, but rather for its ability to displace air, form follows function. A washing machine on the other hand, is designed like a box to fit in a corner, it is not going anywhere.

1 person likes this.
  17. billnchristy

billnchristy Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    The next gen Yaris looks like a versa from the side:

[​IMG]

I actually don't see how you could get Prius styling from the side without a different pillar...therefore roof, therefore chassis.

18. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I like the Prius in the spy shots. I wasn't suggesting a change, I was just commenting on how the hood looks longer than the Yaris. :)

19. Rybold

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've been thinking about that a lot lately, ever since looking at the new Civic in person and marveling at it's ability to LOOK like a sedan, yet it has a trunk that is very short and slanting slightly upward to be more continuous with the rear window. Honda made it very aerodynamic, yet they had to make sure it still LOOKED enough like a sedan that the general public would accept it. This got me thinking about how automakers are now trying to make cars more like a Prius shape; aerodynamic, yet they still have to make the cars LOOK like traditional sedans so that general public buyers don't view the car as weird and foreign.

Read this post, where I show that even the Mercedes C300 does this: http://priuschat.com/forums/prius-h...onda-civic-hybrid-powertrain.html#post1344773

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Notice how the rear trunk is actually SLANTED upward to be more continuous with the rear window. In the case of the Prius, the window just extends all the way. But Honda had to shape the metal up to meet the window so that it would LOOK like a "sedan."

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

20. colinyang

colinyang New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Prius C will be the most efficient non-plug-in hybrid on the market