1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I just switched back to my 15s and why im selling my 17s

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Spooled, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Spooled

Spooled Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    My prius, bought used, came w black 15 and good year assurance fuel maxs. They were ok but after getting a flat, and having a set of the prius 5 wheels w Michelin Energy savers in 215 -50 17 I went to my 17s. They were great. I installed a rear sway and was happy w how the car handled and drove. I was averaging well above 50mpg. Then a few nights ago I got another flat. Tire shop said it was un-repairable so the plan was to go back to the 15s for which i had purchased a new used fuel max tire. I brought them in and the tire shop said they were unusable, the new tire had a kink in the bead. I ordered a set of Michelin energy savers in 195/65-15.

OMG. mileage w the NEW tires went UP im now getting around 53mpg w 200 miles on them. Braking, acceleration, handling, and ride quality have all improved drastically. They are also quieter. Im never going back to 17s and my wheels are for sale

m3pare, Bay Stater, RMB and 1 other person like this.
  2. RMB

RMB Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Spooled, similar story to yours, I went to 17” and also had installed a rear sway bar :). A little more than 2 years ago I rubbed one if my stock 15” black wheel against the curb:sick:, although it was only a cosmetic damage, I started looking for a set of 17” (well, a good excuse and wife approved it:whistle:). Since then I have been averaging 47-50 mpg calculated in cold/wet winter months and 50-53 for the warmer months of the year. I never looked back to the 15s and sold my stock wheels/wheel covers to a fellow PC member.

Well, similarity ends here. Since I sold the stock wheels, I don’t have a set of 15” to go back to. I know I will be looking at higher tire pricings when the time comes or when sh..... it happens, but hack with it, it drives and handles well I don’t miss the 15”. :p

I have heard many good reviews of those Michelins, good ride quality and are very quiet, luxury tires kinda thing. So yeah, good decisions, and good luck with the sale of the 17” Five wheels.(y)(y)

amos, Raytheeagle and Bay Stater like this.
  3. Siward

Siward Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have a set of 215/45r17 and another set of 195/45r15. The 17's are slightly rougher ride than the 15 because it has less of an air cushion. The 15" does better in mpg, but it would take a whole lot of gas at (2-5mpg) to make up for the cost of the alloy rims. In the end, I kept my 17's.

RMB likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The stock setup with our 2010 Touring was Michelin Pilot 215/45R17. Still using them, eight years on. We've only just passed 78K kms on the odometer, and every winter they're swapped out for 195/65R15 Michelin X-Ice. Also: a while back I cadged a set of 15" PIP rims, they're sitting in storage....

When time comes to replace those stock 17" (and they're really getting into age-out territory), I'd really like to go to 15", say with Defenders or something, but the missus likes the look of the 17" rims.

Any ploys would be appreciated... :whistle:

amos likes this.
  5. Bay Stater

Bay Stater Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought about upgrading my 15s to the PIP rims, but found a great deal on the Prius Persona 17 rims (chrome finish), complete with decent Bridgestone tires. I personally like the 17s better than any 15 style rims. :cool:

RMB, Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah I might just use the PIP rims for the next round of snow tires, so we look "classy" year 'round. That move has been "approved"...

amos, RMB, Raytheeagle and 1 other person like this.