1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I keep having to replace the halogen headlight bulbs due to lowbeam failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by prius8654, Aug 17, 2017.

1. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think it might be the white plug. If it's anything like the Gen 1, 3, and 4 (and it would be weird for Gen 2 to be different), it's a screw with a big wide "head" that has teeth facing forward, and you can turn it like a bevel gear by using a long Phillips screwdriver from straight up above. Easy peasy, once you know what you're looking for.

Here's the post where I finally figured it out for my Gen 1. You can see how they even molded little guides into the housing to help your screwdriver straight down to the adjuster. I can see what look like the same sort of guides molded into your picture.

Looking around a Gen 4 in the showroom, I noticed they finally mentioned the adjuster right in the owner's manual in the glove box, and even had the location labeled under the hood. Only took them sixteen years....

-Chap

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh I see what you mean with slant guide hole. Tomorrow I will look at them and see how hard it is to adjust them.
    Thanks.

3. dubit

dubit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I had this very issue with my Yaris. Not sure what was going on, but during one of the remove/install I damaged the rubber grommet that was around the plug the bulb was installed in. So I bought a new grommet.

I never had to replace another bulb. coincidence, iono. But thought it worth a mention, especially since that grommet was less than $20.00. Well for a Yaris anyways.

prius8654 likes this.
  4. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's helpful, thank you. Next time I'm in there I'll inspect the grommets

5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Are you talking about the black rubber cover that goes over the bulb? That's a real pain to get off the first time its really stuck on there. It just comes off by turning it CCW to the 10 o'clock position using the 2 big squares as a lever. Its keyed. You put it on about 10 oclock and then turn it CW until its straight up in the picture.

Its a weather boot. After the bulb install the boot goes over everything.

6. V Paki

V Paki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Interesting, what is the Toyota Enhancement warranty and how does one avail of it? Thanks!

7. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The enhancement warranty is only for the HID (xenon) bulbs not for halogens. The issue I was having was specifically with halogen bulbs, my car was not equipped with HIDs.

8. jzchen

jzchen Newbie!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    prius8654 likes this.
  9. V Paki

V Paki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks. My 2005 has Halogens and one is going out. Do you have any specific docs re the enhancement warranty?

10. egg_salad

egg_salad Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Halogen bulbs tend not to last >10 years.

11. prius8654

prius8654 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you may want to reread the entire thread, the enhancement warranty does not apply to halogens.

12. V Paki

V Paki Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I think I keep saying Halogens when I mean HIDs and I cannot blame my keyboard this time. My prius has HIDs!