1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I know Japan needs relief aid from the world, but doesn't America owe Japan almost a trillion...

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Mar 13, 2011.

1. clickerman

clickerman Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I think the original poster was talking about how much US Treasury debt the Japanese have bought. They now have about $875 billion in US debt - second only to China.

File:Composition of U.S. Long-Term Treasury Debt 2005-2010.PNG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The question is, what will happen if Japan decides to sell some of this debt to finance their rebuilding. It will cost more for the US to borrow, thereby raising interest rates. It will also decrease the value of the dollar, thereby raising the cost of Prii.

2. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    It would be in the US interest to help Japan weather this disaster. They're too big to fail.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  4. mainerinexile

mainerinexile No longer in exile!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Those aren't 'proud americans', they are 'cheap americans', not willing to pay for things that support society. I'm all for cost-effective smaller government, but the mark of a civilized society is one that is willing to pay for adequate health care, heating oil assistance for the poor, kindergarten for our kids, and even public broadcasting.

The GOP is trying to balance the budget by nickeling and diming cuts for programs that real people care about, while the GOP assures that they and their buddies get big tax cuts. Remember the wall street guy who (literally) made 5 Billion dollars last year? The GOP gave him a big tax cut when he should have been contributing to society to pay for things we need.

Not that I have an opinion! Hrmmmph.

1 person likes this.
  5. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Umm no I don't think you understand my point...

Japan does not have debt. They need cash. Right? When you see red cross commercials, they ask for cash. So Japan needs cash. USA OWES JAPAN ALMOST 1 TRILLION DOLLARS. Seems like they can get cash from this arrangement.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Sorry. I got it backward. Nevertheless, my point is that this kind of "arrangement" is not something that can be "re-arranged" on a moment's notice, even if you wanted to. These are complex financial instruments that can't be converted to cash on the fly.

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Of course not. If Bill Gate's house burned to the ground, he wouldn't try to liquidate his holdings of x,y,z to pay the firemen while they were still hosing down the house. Nonetheless, Bill Gate's house burning down hypothetically would merely be an inconvenience, and not a financial disaster.

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Japan economy: U.S. debt costs could rise as Japan seeks to finance reconstruction - latimes.com

While re arrangement isn't instant, the financial repercussions are pretty quick. I suspect another financial tsunami is coming our way in the form of high interest rates which will snuff out any pseudo recovery we might be having.

9. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ^ guess we better get serious about paying off our dept then and not racking it up with all these programs.