1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I lost my key.. kinda

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mcslain, May 4, 2007.

1. mcslain

mcslain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ok... I searched the forums and didnt find any threads quite like this one. Here goes... I have lost my second (and last) Prius key. The good news is that it is in my Prius somewhere. The problem is that I can not find it to save my life and I have really looked. So my car runs.. only I cant lock it or anything. And of course I'm worried the key will suddenly stop working sometime. The battery will die eventually I imagine... and depending on where it is, maybe it falls out of the car or something. What a nightmare...

So does anyone have any ideas on where the key might be hiding in my 2005 Pree? I can't imagine there is anyway to locate it, but who knows, maybe some genius has a suggestion or some insight?

Thanks
    -mcslain

2. priusmaybe

priusmaybe New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Could it have fallen somewhere in the hatch, even under the luggage compartment,or in the spare tire? I am sure you have looked carefully under the seats.

Could it be under your hood by some odd chance

3. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If it was in your pocket, try looking under the seat and the area right next to the rails. I have found many lost objects there. Stuff likes to hide between the seat rail and center console.

4. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    <_< Presto may be right... Items that fall out of my pocket seem to fall in the space between the seat structure and the side frame of the Prius... easy to miss. I have also had items found under the seats nestled close to the NAV system DVD reader.

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    if you have nav, you may want to check under the black nav box (under the seat) like they said above; things tend to shift around. carpet also sticks up under the seat. it could be between the carpet and seat rails. it's probably to the right ( or left) of the seats mounting bracket. very small amount of room. it's the type of place my razor would fall and get "stuck"

6. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I would strongly suggest after you find your temporarily misplaced key that you immediately have another one made. Yes, it's expensive. But less than if you lose your ONLY key.

7. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    losing all your keys means some more key programming, it's not THAT expensive.

8. Tyrin

Tyrin New Member

In the meantime...every time you exit your car, press the button under the steering wheel to turn off the smart key! ;) That way the battery doesn't drain, and no one who doesn't know about it can start the car and take off. You simply press the button again when you want to go. :D

9. mcslain

mcslain Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Found it!!!!

It was inside, deep inside, these little black vent type things that I have under the seats. I had checked in there before... but not good enough I guess. A check with a flashlight revealed a glint of the silver on the keychain ring. Then i was able to dig it out. What a relief! Thanks to everyone who responded... and yes I'm gonna have a second pair made...

-mcslain

10. walt

walt New Member

Bel Air, MD, USA -=- Blair, Merlin, Merka
    Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcslain @ May 7 2007, 02:11 PM) [snapback]436969[/snapback]</div>
    WOO-HOO! Victory for our team! Glad you found them.

And get a second set.

11. hschuck

hschuck Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(mcslain @ May 7 2007, 11:11 AM) [snapback]436969[/snapback]</div>
    I can't even find the "little black vent type things".

12. TNPapa

TNPapa Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    Glad you found it. Was at the dealers for 6 hours today as they tried to program another key for me. Bought the 2006 used and they had lost one key. They ordered another one, and then had to get 2 techs and several calls to the district help line to get it programmed.