1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I love to Mop (how sad)

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by h2photo, Sep 8, 2007.

1. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Going back to the fact that my hubby & I are trying to stop using chemicals to clean our house, we decided to buy a Bissell Steam Mop We'd been cleaning our floors with the vacuum, swifter, orange glow, you name it, we tried it. But nothing ever seemed to get it clean. Every night we'd have to wash our black feet before jumping in our bed with white sheets. It was nasty. So the bissell came 2 days ago, we moved everything around yesterday and gave it a whirl.

WOW, our floors are sparkling!!! It'll remove all those sticky spots in seconds (the ones i usually had to scrub with the mop), plus the floor is dry within seconds! No staying off them for 30 minutes until they dry! Some of the old cleaners we used, made the floors feel gummy, not this thing, our floors are smooth as ever! It's perfect for pets (& kids) because you're not adding anything to the floors thats dangerous. To clean it you just run vinegar through the head. It has a filter that turns blue when you need to replace it. You can use just tap water, though distilled will make your filter last longer. The cord is a bit on the shorter side, but we just used an extension. 1 suggestion, if you have a lot of rooms with flooring, I'd suggest 1 pad per room. Once they fill with dirt, it makes it harder to clean. I did take ours off, rinse it and throw it back on. But I think we'll be getting some extra pads.

Some of the basics... The Steam mop is safe and effective on virtually all bare floor surfaces. The Steam Mop is safe for use on marble, ceramic, stone, vinyl, laminent, linoleum and sealed hardwood floors.

* Upright electric mop cleans hard-floor surfaces using steam only
    * Provides an all-natural, 100-percent chemical-free clean
    * 360-degree swivel mop head; easy-to-press steam trigger
    * Washable, reusable microfiber mop pad; water filter; cord wrap
    * Measures 6 by 11 by 45-1/4 inches; 1-year limited warranty

We have 3 different types of tile in our house & floating laminate. I can't tell you what kind of tile it is, but they are all different texture, the kitchen is more textured, the laundry room is smooth & the bathrooms are somewhere in between.

Kitchen & Laminent (& Dog)
    [​IMG]

Laundry Tiles
    [​IMG]

2. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That's great!
    I have an iRobot Scooba, which I use with white vinegar (instead of their nasty clorox cleaning solution), for my hard floors. I'm not all that thrilled with her, though I also have very, very clean, squeeky floors, no sticky residue.

I do have two of the Roombas, and I love them... they are great vacuums, and keep the cat hair from taking over.

3. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    we thought about a Roomba, but we have those wood panels between rooms & were afraid they'd get stuck on them. I don't want a Roomba for each room. That would be crazy! But it would help cut down on the floating dog hair!

4. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you mean your thresholds, I seriously doubt a Roomba would get stuck on them!
    I seriously love my robots... the only reason I have two Roombas is because my first one (bought refurbished) is in need of some repair, so i got a second one at Costco... and, it would be better to have one for the front half of the house, and one for the back half, as it's a bit much for just one to trundle the entire floorplan!
    The amount of dust, measured by how often we have to clean the ceiling fan blades, has dropped drastically, since having daily vacuuming with the little robots. Cat hair is non-existent on the floors. Dust bunnies don't live under any of the furniture. :)

Anyway, if I decide to bail on the Scooba, I would look seriously at the steam mop thing. Thanks for your review of it!

5. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yea the thresholds. I looked into the Roomba last night & it made me want one even more! I'd LOOOOVE to get rid of the nasty, large, clunky vacuum!

but the mop is awesome, I just wish it had some smaller attachments to get the small spaces

6. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Something else that will help prevent getting your socks and feet black and reduce the amount of cleaning you have to do is to remove your shoes at the door. I grew up with no shoes allowed in the house (mom is Japanese). You never know what you step in during the day and then track it into your house. We like to sit on the floor to watch TV and my kid just started crawling.

7. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tadashi @ Sep 9 2007, 03:16 PM) [snapback]509723[/snapback]</div>
    Yea we do this already, shoes are off in the laundry room then moved to the shoe closet. It's too hot for shoes anyway!! But we still have a super black floor (I think it was due to the old cleaning stuff/dust)

8. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We are lucky to have just moved into a new house. Our last house was 31 years old. It took me 1 year of weekly vacuuming and mopping, and monthly steam cleaning the carpet before our feet and socks would not turn black. I am amazed at the dirt that was in the carpet. :p It was in El Paso which is a really dusty area. It did not help our heater was gas which blows soot into the house. You cannot see it (except at the mouth of the vents and on the bottom of our feet).