1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"I love you -- now go sleep in the other bed"

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Mirza, Mar 11, 2007.

1. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 12 2007, 06:47 PM) [snapback]404409[/snapback]</div>
    Rufaro, how is the Tempurpedic???? My husband keeps bringing up this purchase due to his bad back. Does it actually help to relieve stress and pain in the back?

2. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rufaro @ Mar 12 2007, 03:47 PM) [snapback]404409[/snapback]</div>
    :lol: Nice!

Since you bought another bed I stand by my reasoning that the GDP would go up. In your case the level of happiness may have increased so I cannot argue further. I was just making a funny. Newly disagnosed cancer patients make the GDP go up to. :(

I'm not married. I was just speaking from past experience where differences of worldview and maturaty levels led to a break up and "partitioning" of the bed till other accomidations could be worked out. I won't argue the last sentence, I'm secure. :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 12 2007, 06:51 PM) [snapback]404412[/snapback]</div>
    we have one... i can tell you that it's been great for both of us. i have residual effects from a back injury when i was 17 (the main reason we got it to start out with), and this solved them almost entirely. unless i work out too hard, or move lots of heavy boxes, i have no more back problems since getting this mattress.

it's the main reason DH gets any sleep on a bed, otherwise he'd sleep on the floor. takes a few days to get used to it... at first it felt really strange but now, i can't sleep right on anything else.

so... 100% satisfied, worth every penny of the purchase price for us!

4. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Mar 12 2007, 09:26 AM) [snapback]404242[/snapback]</div>
    There is no way I wouldn't be in Laura Petry's bed!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 12 2007, 06:30 PM) [snapback]404523[/snapback]</div>
    We looked at these for my back problem (similar to your DH), but we felt the fact that they tend to be warmer than other beds ruled them out (I tell my DW that she is still hot, but now it comes in flashes.)

So we bought a Select Comfort 7000 "sleep number" bed, and we both love it. In the Cal King model, you can adjust each side separately, so I can change it depending on what my lumbar disc is deciding to do that day. I'm finding it works well for me (the model 7000 has 3" of foam between the mattress cover and the inflatable bladder portion of the bed, so it feels like a "pillow top" mattress).

5. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Mar 13 2007, 12:50 AM) [snapback]404653[/snapback]</div>
    you're right, it does get quite warm between you and the mattress. that's ok by me but he sweats at night. has no idea, sleeps like the dead now that he actually gets sleep :lol: so for us that's a non-issue but i could see how that would be a major downside for people who like to stay cooler at night.

my in-laws have a select comfort mattress since it's adjustable side to side and they also highly recommend it. she has had neck problems for a long time as far as i understand and the mattress helps.

lots and lots of options out there!

...but we still sleep in the same bed. (hey i'm trying to *somehow* tie into the topic... lame attempt i know :p)

6. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Mar 12 2007, 07:08 PM) [snapback]404385[/snapback]</div>
    Yup. Your point?

If you can't stand the cheap shot, then perhaps your friends should spend more on etiquette, when it comes to slamming those who don't believe as they do. As they often do.

7. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Mar 12 2007, 10:50 PM) [snapback]404653[/snapback]</div>
    That is SO weird--I am a "hot" sleeper and dh is a "cold" one. I've not experienced this effect (except with Tempurpedic pillows on occasion) I DO know I cannot BEAR flannel sheets at all, but seem to require either 100% cotton (percale if necessary--sateen for preference) or silk (when they're on sale...and mostly silk pillowcases, mostly non-matching, and I try to get those on sale too!).

I find pillows to be more of a problem...don't like foam and down get too hot. I am very stubbornly hanging on to my grandmother's HEAVY (but now mostly too lumpy) feather ones. My mother told me they're so heavy because my great grandmothers would add the feathers from an otherwise worn out pillow to the new one. Modern feather pillows all seem to have some down in them, and even when they don't, they're too usually too puffy. And lightweight. The heavy pillows are of great value to my sleeping serenity. A family trait is sleeping with a pillow over our (respective) heads. Works pretty well for blocking out noise, except for DH's VERY loud snoring...Light isn't an issue for me. Not so for DH, who has taken to wearing eyeshades of late, mainly because I like to read in bed--and I finally won the battle so I COULD stay in our room instead of "my" room if I want read late. Additionally--the "hot" sleeping's gotten worse--I'm one of the hot (flash) babes, and our room has blackout vertical blinds that let no air through an open window. SO...dh now also needs the shades so I can leave the blinds open enough to let air in...in addition to early light.

Are we all just TOO fascinated by all of this wondrous detail? Hey...it's after 5am here, I'm sitting outside on the deck with the laptop, not having slept last night either, because I'm still too warm to sleep...Aren't you all the lucky ones? B)

8. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Do you have to flip the sleep number mattress and the tempurpedic mattresses every month as you do a traditional mattress? Also, maybe a mattress pad would help with the body warmth that accumulates w/ the tempurpedic?

9. desynch

desynch Die-Hard Conservative

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Mar 12 2007, 02:41 PM) [snapback]404304[/snapback]</div>
    Haw!!

10. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(galaxee @ Mar 12 2007, 10:14 PM) [snapback]404672[/snapback]</div>
    I've heard percale sheets help. I have an employee who just got their TempurPedic a month ago, and they love it. They are both "cold" people, so they haven't even noticed that the bed is warmer (they pile on the comforters, evidently).

Same bed for us; I have trouble sleeping when on the road, but after 32 years of sleeping with the same woman, I guess that's to be expected. We do find hotel queen sized beds almost too small, and will sometimes use both beds for a portion of the night (we retain visiting rights!)

11. rufaro

rufaro WeePoo, Gen II

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SSimon @ Mar 13 2007, 09:29 AM) [snapback]404864[/snapback]</div>
    Tempurpedics are not supposed to be flipped, and they also say not to use mattress pads, as pads will prevent the Temps from performing as they are supposed to (i.e., they can't conform to your body as they are designed to do for maximum ergonomic effect without the direct contact). But, I will repeat--I am a VERY "hot" sleeper, and have had no difficulties in that regard with the temp. mattress. I believe that most vendors have a minumum of a 30 day COMFORT guarantee, during which time you can check it out at home and return it for a full refund if it doesn't meet your needs. In any case--I DEFINITELY recommend going to local stores where they'll let you lie down on one for a while, while they leave you alone!