1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I loved my Prius until...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SuperiorRange, Dec 14, 2013.

1. SuperiorRange

SuperiorRange Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I love my Prius until...

... the heater failed. Or at least seems to have failed. It has been cold here the past couple of weeks with temps below 0F (-17C). The heater in my 2005 Prius has not seemed to have any heat and has been running the ICE for the entire 6 miles of my daily work commute. I took it into the dealer they checked it out. Their findings were, coolant temp of 190F, heater vent temp at idle 85F and 140F at 2000 rpms. Their recommendation is to replace the heater core at a cost of $1200. Apparently the heater core is behind the dash thus becoming a all day job. I don't want to freeze all winter but that seems kinda crazy to me. Anyone else had heater issues? What were the fixes? Cost? Thanks!

2. salguod

salguod Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That doesn't make sense unless the heater core is leaking. I don't understand how you're not getting heat if it's putting out 85-140 degree air at the vents. Something doesn't add up.

Did they test it outside in the subzero degree temps? If those readings are in their comfy shop, that doesn't really tell them anything does it?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it is the core, maybe you can find a salvage and have a local mech install it.

4. Joe 26

Joe 26 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A restriction in the heater core will not allow flow through it easily enough at low engine rpms. That could account for the difference in temp between idle and 2000 rpm. One thing to keep in mind is that there is an aux electric pump that pushes coolant through the core when the ICE is off, like at a stoplight.

Hopefully the dealer would make sure that the cooling system was completely full before making such a diagnosis.

5. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I thought there was a known issue with some of the plenum doors actuators failing or sticking for this GEN Prius? Might want to look it up.

6. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I agree that the possibility of the coolant pump not working fully needs to be looked at. Also, the coolant system may have air trapped, as it is known to be troublesome to get it completely purged. The heater core is the place where the last holdouts are trapped.

There are no verified reports of heater cores just going bad that I have read here, so I think it is pretty rare. (Someone let us know if that is not the case.) But there have been reports of those pumps going bad from time to time.

The Prius is subject to misdiagnoses at the dealers, so a second opinion is worthwhile if possible.

7. SuperiorRange

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the replies. Yes it was tested in their shop, not the 5degree temps of outside. Also the water pump is leaking. Coolant was topped up but the pump is recommended to be replaced. Drove the car today on my 6 mile in town commute and noted perhaps a slight, very slight bit more heat. I wasn't warm or turning the thermastat down so probably just wishful thinking. Lastly, the other mechanics I've called in town, unfortunately, have never worked on a Prius or have seen very, very few.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. How low was the coolant in the radiator itself (not the overflow container)? How much coolant had to be added?
    2. If the engine coolant pump leak is more than trivial, that pump should be replaced first. Look for a pinkish residue on the inside of the coolant pump pulley and on top of the air conditioner compressor.
    3. A significantly leaking engine coolant pump will result in the radiator coolant level dropping below the very top of the radiator neck because the pump leak allows air into the system. The radiator coolant reservoir will not replenish the leaked fluid in that case.
    4. As more and more air gets into the radiator, this air will eventually get into the engine coolant loop.
    5. Air in the engine coolant loop will result in air getting into the heater core which prevents the heater core from properly operating. You can sometimes hear air bubbling around in that case.
    6. There is an electric coolant pump whose job it is to circulate engine coolant to the heater core. This is needed because the Prius gasoline engine stops running from time to time during normal hybrid operation.

To summarize, I suggest that you first eliminate any leaks in the engine coolant system, by replacing the engine coolant pump. Then, ask the dealer tech to verify that the electric engine coolant pump is operating and then make sure that all air is purged out of the engine coolant loop. Finally, replace the heater core if the first two repair actions fail to get the heater to operate satisfactorily.

9. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Boy, I would be VERY leery of having the dealer replace a heater core on a 2005 car. Heater cores last a long time. They live a pampered life inside the cabin of the car. There is virtually no reason it should have gone bad this quickly. I personally wouldn't go back to that dealer again. I think they are trying to take you.

Here are some things for you to know
    1) heater cores are very reliable and usually only get replaced because of an accident (even that is very rare). The car usually wears out before the heater core.
    2) heater cores can be fixed (if they're clogged, use lp air reduced to about 15 psi and increase the pressure as necessary), if they're leaking, they can soldered. Complete replacement is almost always unnecessary
    3) I've been working on cars for 30+ years and the only time I've ever messed with a heater core was on a neglected 65 Ford Falcon. Even then, I fixed the original heater core.

Take a good look at what Patrick said above. That is excellent advice (as usual).

alekska likes this.
  10. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    As with any major repair, whether to your car or to yourself, a second opinion is always smart when it can be done.

11. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Big potential misdiagnosis red flag here! Make absolutely sure that the coolant is correctly topped off (in the radiator itself, not just the little plastic reservoir) - and the system "burped". You need to get that cooling system properly full and all the air out of it before spending $1200 on (possibly unnecessarily) getting the heater core changed.

alekska likes this.
  12. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Everyone has seemed to have missed an obvious question: does the OP park outside? If so......

Minnesota? Brrrrrrrrrrrrrr. Install a block heater or park in the garage if you have one.

13. SuperiorRange

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again for the help. I was thinking if just doing the water pump since its usually just me in the car, I can bundle up, and I'm cheap. Be great if it does fix the chill too.

It is in fact cold here but the car is garaged overnight. I have been toying with a block heater since the mpg does suffer in the winter as we all know. Mpg has dropped more this winter than past, if I my memory serves me correctly. I haven't dug around on PriusChat but oes the low coolant have anything to do with that?

One step at a time. Get water pump fixed and system free of air. Thanks again. All thoughts and suggestion are greatly appreciated!

14. frodoz737

frodoz737 Top Wrench

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Please post your vehicle mileage.

15. SuperiorRange

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2005 with just over 75,000 miles. Current milage on this tank after 115 miles is 37.0 mpg. Cold temps and snowy roads are what I'm blaming. Though today with the temp at 23F I averaged just over 50 mpg. Tank prior was at 44mpg with mostly highway/interstate miles over Thanksgiving. Tank from October/November with just city commute averaged 57mpg.

It is crazy how warm 20degrees feels after having a week of below zero...

16. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Not really - unless the engine has overheated to the point where it is starting to seize up.

The mpg results seem very reasonable given the ambient temps you drive in.

17. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Just to let you know (and you may already know), the engine water pump is one of the ways dealers use to seperate money from their customer's wallets. Since you park in the garage, do you notice coolant on the garage floor? Can you crawl under the car and see remnants of coolant under the pump? I'm not saying your pump is not the problem but, I have read numerous threads of dealers ripping people off like this. Pls be careful and don't let them take you.

18. SuperiorRange

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I did peak under the car when I left work today. I did find pink fluid underneath. Hard tell where from as I was on my hands and knees in a parking lot. It does go back in on Friday for a new water pump. They do purge the system, refill, and "burp" any air. I have no idea how long or how much fluid leaked.

19. usnavystgc

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Well, if there is pink fluid on the ground, then your car is def leaking and the water pump is a likely culprit. I believe you are well on your way to fixing your "heater" problem.

20. SuperiorRange

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Water pump replaced, coolant topped off, system purged of air, and..... hotter than ever heat! Back to loving my littl car. A huge thank you to everyone that replied to my post. You saved me a pile of money. I am hugely disappointed with the dealer's technicians. What a grossly misdiagnosis. I realized these things happen but it would have cost me an additional $1200 if I'd have followed their advice instead of reaching out to you fine folks. Makes me wonder how well they know the Prius's systems. Anyway, all is well. Thank you all again. Have a happy holidays!