1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I may be under false impressions about HV Battery indicator ?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by stevejay, Apr 10, 2016.

1. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The bars are in the green most of the time.

But now after research, I am finding 6 or 7 bars of green most of the time is not ideal after all? Purple is optimum? Is there a scenario where a prius in the green too often indicates there is something off with the car or my driving style? Is the issue here that I am generating excessive HV battery heat? I think I am a smooth driver, but I do use the pedal (and brake) to make minor adjustments in speed as I'm sure we all do. Cruise control? Well that would be fine, but you can't always account for the way others drive.

I usually just drive it, and don't think looking at displays too often is a very good idea for safety. I check my mileage and battery health though, and was satisfied. More curious than concerned btw....but am I officially a newbie under a misconception?

#1 stevejay, Apr 10, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

the indicator is purple when it has 2 bars, blue up to 6 bars, and green at 7 and 8.
    generally speaking, it hovers at 4-6, but can go high or low depending on conditions.
    the important thing is that it doesn't rapidly fluctuate top to bottom, that indicates a dying hybrid battery.
    driving style has nothing to do with it, you can't damage the battery, and you can't drive in a way that would be good for it. it's designed to be driven.

3. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Around 123K

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    anything is possible at 12 years and 123k, but unless you see the fluctuating i mention above, or get a dash light, you're fine.
    mpg's are your best indicator of a problem.

stevejay likes this.
  5. stevejay

stevejay New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II

Thanks Bisco. No I don't see the wild fluctuations you mention, and I'm happy with the mileage.

After reading through these forums, I may be developing the "medical student syndrome," where constant reading of health problems can make a person overly concerned with their own health. If the car can make it without major expenses for a certain amount of time, I'll be ok. It is still possibly the nicest car I've ever owned.

Such is the chance that a non DIY type takes.

bisco likes this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    if it's any comfort, our neighbor is still driving our old 2004, with around 150k, no issues whatsoever. that year was built like a tank. all the best!(y)

7. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The software does not allow the battery to go below 20% or above 80% so what your seeing is not really accurate as far as the true
    capacity of the battery. The 80% is so just like you said not to consistently overcharge the battery and heat the pack up. When you see full green take advantage of it and use Electric Vehicle mode as best you can. Will quickly burn that green up.

But your car is now 12 years old and hybrid battery will soon show its age. If your concerned about the Hybrid battery health I would buy a Hybrid battery charger as you can restore the battery health and extend it for a few more years. That charger does extend the capacity of the battery to full charge which is a very good thing to do to the battery once in a while under controlled temp conditions. The charger includes a fan harness that force's on the battery fan so it does not do exactly what you surmise which is overheating the battery pack.
    They sell the charger on this site its "Hybrid Automotive".

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    In winter we see Green quite often as cabin heat causes engine to run more.
    In summer we see mostly blue as the air cond sucks up power
    I hate purple but see that going up mountains or when A/C is on sometimes

9. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Normal is 40%, not 20%, though I have seen dips to 38% during a rapid fall-off.

I second the HA charger recommendation, but I would get the reconditioning kit. That allows you to discharge and effectively "recondition" the battery in the car. Check the "Quantitative" link in my signature.

For me normal operation is 6 blue bars with the occasional 7 green and 5 blue. A/C use can force you into the 2 purple bar zone if the ICE is off (long sit in a drive-thru). Allowing the A/C to run in auto at a reasonable set temp (75-78°F) in recirc mode with normal driving is in the 5-6 blue bar region.

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i was commuting 7 miles to work in my '08, i always arrived with full green bars. no idea why, and it's the only drive i could replicate it consistently.