1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I may have gotten something I don't need

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by suzisurrey, Jul 26, 2011.

1. suzisurrey

suzisurrey New Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I may have gotten something I don't need. That is the undercoating and paint protect, etc. package. Someone told me it is a scam and a waste of money. But my last car started to look bad with all the pealing paint...so I went for it. Very expensive. Can I back out since the work has not been done yet?

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You might be able to back out... just need to ask. I don't think it is necessary at all but it depends on how much time you put into cleaning your car and environmental conditions in your area and how long you want the car to last.

Welcome aboard!

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unless it's a film, those paint protections don't do jack squat for peeling/chipping paint.

4. Insight-I Owner

Insight-I Owner 2006 Insight-I MT + 2011 Prius

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Good point. If the dealer doesn't want to give your money back maybe they'd go for having the car filmed instead. The basic idea is here:
    Scotchgard
    I have it on my Insight-I and it has worked great. Makes the car a bit easier to care for: you don't need to wax the areas covered by film. I believe Toyota also offers filming as an accessory/option.

Forget undercoating, not worth it on today's cars.

5. UoD

UoD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I specifically ordered mine without it. I did a lot of google'ing on it before hand, and the consensus was that it was purely snakeoil. Just take good care of your car (wash it ... wax it as needed) ... and your car will take care of you.

6. stream

stream Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    This is the modern day snake oil. Total waste of money. Tell them you want a refund

7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup.
    It is a scam.....and it is a waste of money.
    Usually....it's a case of your not getting what you don't need....just paying for it.
    In extreme cases….their overpriced “protection” concoctions can actually do more harm than good.

In the unlikely event that they do try to spray undercoating on your car (something I'd actually like to see.....) I'd ask some pointed questions about what they intend to spray, and where they intend to spray it.

Paint protection?
    I'd be careful about that too....depending on what they apply, and perhaps more importantly.....HOW they apply it.

You might not be able to 'back out' of this service, since you've already signed your life away, but you can threaten them with abysmal dealer satisfaction ratings, and long and very angry letters to Toyota's vaunted "customer care" folks.

JMHO....

GOOD LUCK!

EDIT: By the way.... Greetings! Welcome to PriusChat! :welcome:

1 person likes this.
  8. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Back out of them NOW ... do not wait ... if they know you want to back out of them, they'll probably rush to do them ... then you're screwed.

Total waste of money.

REV

9. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    It is a scam. Get out of it any way you can. It can even damage your car, undercoating is terrible stuff and should not be used on any vehicle. We have had posts on here stating that the paint protection made certain areas look cloudy and would not come off.

10. DumbMike

DumbMike Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Believe it or not, this is something the employees really care about (I don't know about the dealership). So, I would show up at the dealership (you can call, but it probably won't have the same drama), and if they say no, you pull out your pen and paper (have it ready for some drama), ask for the person's full name and title, and start writing down the information. If the person asks why you need the information, you say you will be discussing this with Toyota. If the person says nothing, ask for the person's supervisor and ask for your money back. If they no, do the same thing of getting the name and title.

I would call Toyota, corporate (I believe they have a consumer number). And tell them you were defrauded into buying this. Give them the names of the people you talked to.

Then hope for the best.

Mike

11. revhigh

revhigh MPG Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I'd be a little careful about this approach. What makes you so sure that there was any fraud involved ? There probably were products offered for purchase, and the buyer purchased them. There's no fraud involved there ... but there might be slander if you accuse an enterprise of fraud, and it's untrue. Using this approach could wind up getting you sued in court ....

Your best bet is to try to get out of it civilly with the dealership.

REV

12. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yup, a scam and complete waste of money. If the work has not been done yet tell them you do not want nor need it and get your money back.

13. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is some aggressive tactic! :D Not so dumb anymore, eh Mike?

I say this works. Nowadays every large company out there is about customer service. That equals $ for company. Managers will bend over backwards to fix your situation. Happens whether your buying defective monoclonal antibodies or you want to take back your purchase on paint protection.

14. El Dobro

El Dobro A Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    It's just like when they try to push window etching on you. I asked my insurance how much of a discount there would be and was told $5 a year.

15. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    All good advice. It's astounding how aggresively they will push this cr*p. Really sours the car buying experience.

Have a look under your car. See the acres of plastic paneling, heat shields, counduits, brackets? Exactly where were they going to spray? It's fine, as it came from the factory. There is a bit of undercoat sprayed in some areas, wheel wells I think. That's mostly for sound proofing, it's not really effective rust proofing.

Paint protection? Just wash it periodically, thoroughly, yourself, being on the look out for chips, and deal with them promptly. Get the paint touch-up pen. When washing, pay special attention to wheel wells, any corners where grit/gunk accumulate.

Open the doors when you're finished washing, and wipe off the interior sills, undersides of doors (especially important, check the drain holes on door underside), any where you can reach. Pop the hatch and gas filler lid, clean inside. Periodically lift the gaskets around the hatch and clean the slime that tends to accumulate, harbouring grit/salt.

And wax it spring and fall.