1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need advice please on switching to a lower Prius package. (My 3rd Prius)

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by StarBrite310, Jan 18, 2012.

1. StarBrite310

StarBrite310 ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~ * ~

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Quick backstory:

So my 1st Prius was a 2006 model. I had package 8, which was the top package offered at the time and it was the first year of leather seats. I adored the car and had it for 3 1/2 years. Then in 2009, I traded it in for a new 2010 model, package 5, which again was the top of the line package. However, I opted to get the car without the advanced technology, but I have the bigger wheels and the LED headlamps. Please note, I would not have purchased package 5 if not for the LED headlamps which I had on my old package 8. I don't love Halogens and the yellowish color. The bigger wheels was never something I was dying to get. My thoughts on them are this: Yes, I guess they do make the car look "cooler" or whatnot, but I do not like the turn radius with them, I feel they make for a bumpier ride and my MPG suffers a few numbers.

Bottom line, I don't need the bigger wheels for my next Prius. However, I will sorely miss the LED headlamps. Package 5 is out though.

So I am planning to purchase the 2012 model, and this is where I need advice please. Coming from two Prius' already that had top of the line packages, do you think I would enjoy a package 4 model which has the smaller wheels and doesn't have LED headlamps? I am thinking of maybe getting the moon roof, but being I haven't had one in all these years, I might just opt for it without to lower my monthlies even more. Having said that, would I be crazy to even think about a package 3? I know leather isn't offered on that one, but now with Softex (which I have yet to see in person), leather isn't even offered anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but heated seats are not available or possible with cloth? That would be a deal breaker.

Also, I could have sworn I read that package 3 would now offer the 3 door keyless, because that is something I could NEVER live without. Is this true?

Now another idea I had, and this is where people I've spoken to, including my sales associate at Toyota, think I would never be able to enjoy. Coming from my past two cars, would I be crazy to even consider the PriusC? I think it looks sooo adorable in photos and videos, but I do think the inside may be a bit too plain for me and I worry that maybe that would be coming down too much. I just don't know and would need to see and test drive it. Thoughts?

Basically, I am wondering if any of you lowered your Prius package models over the years after realizing you may not need some of the goodies offered? I am trying to lower my monthlies, but still be able to enjoy the car as much as possible. As you see, I loooove the Prius. I can't imagine not driving one. After 2012, I am prepared to get the 4th generation :D

Thanks in advance for your help!

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We went for the Canadian Touring package, which has the 17" wheels, LED headlight, garage opener in the mirror and also the radio upgrade with XM ready. It was an impulse buy though, it was sitting on the lot, and so on...

It's sort of a stripped-down US V: doesn't have the radar cruise, parallel park, lane control. Anyway, I could live without all of the features mentioned above. We're actually on 15" steel snows right now, don't notice the difference. And I found sunroof a negative: just reduces headroom too much. I'd likely go for the II, if we were doing it again.

The one negative with 15" wheels: the dang wheel covers.

3. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Getting the full boat makes sense if you plan to keep the car for 10 years and run it into the ground. However, if you're upgrading every 2-3 years, getting the top trim makes less sense, unless you can lease for the same amount.

You don't have to live with yellow halogens. There are plenty of Twos through Fours with HID bulbs that do quite well in the Gen III's projector headlights.

4. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I agree about the years because I do like to switch my cars so often.

That is great to know about the headlights! I'm definitely going to look into that. Thanks!!!

5. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Interesting about the sunroof!! I really don't think I need it because like I mentioned, I'm used to not having one for so many years now, and before my Prius', I barely used the sunroof in my car. I could probably save like $40 a month give or take opting to get it without.

6. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    IIRC, you might have to pop for a four or higher package if you "have to" have 3 door keyless.
    I do not know. I'm one of the Prius Poor that have to roll around in a two---and it's not even my car...my beloved company owns it.

The more tightly you box yourself in with "gotta have" options, the more money the dealer (and the manufacturer) is going to make on you. G3's start at under 25-kilobucks and shoot very rapidly north of 30.
    It doesn't cost that much more to up-option the car, if you're the one making the car.
    If you're a bi-annual trader, you're paying even more!
    What did you pay for the 2010? What are they (really) going to give you in trade?

Do a little arithmetic gymnastics on the cost per mile and you'll probably be kinda surprised---or maybe not.
    It's yer dough, and car sellers have to eat too.
    If you can afford the cars, which for some people is entirely different from being able to make the payments btw.....then I'd say make a list of your "gotts to have" options and drive your 2010 to the nearest Toyota dealership. There will be a car on the lot that suits your needs!! If not....SOCAL has plenty of Toyota dealerships from which to choose!!!

Me?
    I have to factor daffy little things like eating and sleeping indoors, to say nothing of retirement, clothing, electricity, and so on.....so my list of "gotta have options" looks a little different. :D

Good Luck!!!
    Let us know what you get...

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think the 2012 Four will be a hot one because of the power adjust
    Softex heated driver's seat. Plus you get the new touchscreen with Entune apps and JBL GreenEdge speakers in the audio.

Skip the Four with sunroof as that will be bundled with the Advanced tech package with HDD nav, HUD and all that ..... $$$

2012 Three gets 3 door smart key, but the new sound system might be pretty limp. Gone is the amplifier under the front passenger seat and 2 less speakers. No power adjust seat and it's fabric.

There's likely a way to replace the halogens for HIDs or maybe LED headlamps later on.

The ride quality is pretty good with the 15" wheels too.

Prius c? Wow. Yeah, it's cute, but I don't think you realize how small that car will be - 156" long. That's almost 20" shorter than your Prius. It's a subcompact car.

8. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I do not know, FWIW, since you already have a 3rd gen, I don't think it makes much sense to buy another of the same gen (yeah yeah, the 2012 is a mid-cycle refresh). I'd wait until the 4th gen or maybe get some completely different car as a 2nd car? It's pretty costly to go through cars that often, although Toyota definitely prefers you buy more cars. :)

If you don't like your halogens, I'm sure there are upgrade kits for your lights to something you like better. That's way cheaper than getting another car...

Heck, when the 3rd gen came out in January 09 (shipped in May 09), I didn't see a real hurry to upgrade my 06 (bought in January 06) to a 3rd gen despite the many improvements and new available features. My 2nd gen still works fine. I'm unlikely to replace it until the 4th gen comes out (whenever that is) unless my 2nd gen gets totaled.

I'm still looking to lease a Nissan Leaf as a 2nd car, once I figure out where I'll be working. I left my last job awhile ago and live far from much of everything so its range might not work wherever my future job is.

I've never leased a car before and have only ever taken a car loan once. It was for my former 350Z, even though I had more than enough cash to pay for it...

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't like to switch my cars so often, just made a terrible decision with the 09 and Coupe, learned hard lessons. Isn't it nice to keep a car for a long time, cause you know it, like a pair of well worn jeans? I could see myself going at least 10 years with this 2011, maybe 15 or more. Well, depending on reliability and lack of accidents.

Your main complaint was the 17" wheel/ride quality. That's any easy change. Save a bundle just get new wheel and tires.

10. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The 2012 Three will have 3-door SKS.

11. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If you trade in the '10, you should get good money for it. It would be worth spending the time to shop around on the trade-in value.

If you can wait a bit for the c to show up, do that. My sense is, part of the value for you in trading in every few years is to get something new and different. The c (and the V, for that matter) score very high on that factor.

12. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I don't have Halogens on my car now. I have the LED or whatever the bright white lights are called. I was saying on the NEW car I get, it will have Halogens and I don't love them ;)

13. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am FOR SURE waiting on the C. Right now I'm all set to get that car actually. I just gotta make sure I like it in person and I feel it drives up to par with the regular Prius. We shall see....I hate waiting! :p

14. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My quick and easy advice?

You seem to be at a point where you have so many questions about what you want, that I think your best move is to attend an auto-show, or venture to a dealership and sit in, and investigate a hands on approach to the products you are considering.

You're really all over the map. Everything from Moon-Roofs, Heated Seats, LED Headlamps, Plus or Minus...and even throwing in The Prius c at the end.

Only you can decide what configuration or product you want. And right now? Your horizon seems so wide, I wouldn't venture a guess as to what your destination should be...

Go try out products. Experiment. And ultimately? If you can afford it? Don't compromise once you decide what you want...but deciding what you want is your first step.

15. rogerv

rogerv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you haven't already done so, check in with Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota. She makes good deals and is a lady of her word. Her dealership moves a lot of cars and will give you a good selection from which to choose, regardless of which model you decide to buy. Good luck.

16. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As a minor correction, it is not possible that your old package 8 had LED headlamps. LED headlamps were introduced for the Gen III. Perhaps you meant to say that your package 8 Gen II had HID headlamps.

Tom

17. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    She's my SA! :D Leased me my Prius that I have now and she will lease me my new one too!

18. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Yes, that's what I meant :) I couldn't remember the name but it was indeed HID. I was told they were even better than LED, but were replaced on Gen III because they were much too expensive to fix if they burned out.

19. StarBrite310

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Oh I'm really not all over the map :) I didn't mean to make it sound like I was. Basically I have opted to not get the solar sunroof package if I go for the 2012 regular Prius. I will just get a package four without it. But I'm actually truly leaning toward the Prius C and for that one, since it's a lot cheaper, I will most likely choose the sunroof option, which is just a normal sunroof and no solar.

I know I'm out on LED's one way or another since I'm not getting the highest trim anymore and that's ok. Heated seats I can't live without, so cloth is not an option for me.

So yeah, I'm really not all that confused ;)

20. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    How tall are you? You do know the c will be a subcompact car the size of a Honda Fit, right?

As for me, I've no interest in first cuts of first year models. And although I went into 3 cars in 3 1/2 years, that was not my original intentions. I am more than happy to be settled in on this 2011 and would be pleased as punch to drive it to 200k miles and beyond. :)