1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need b-pillar covers (or window frame molding)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by politemusic, Jun 6, 2007.

1. politemusic

politemusic New Member

Hi All,

Got a window tint guy over today who did a lovely job, but their heat gun made glossy spots on my window frame molding that covers the b-pillar area on the right side of the car...both pieces, the one attached to both the front and rear door frames.

I've attached a photo of the front door one, so you can see what I mean.

Anyway, I did a search and found this, item #15:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/ind...amp;catalogid=2

It's about $23 for the front or the rear. Would these be what to order?

And more importantly, do you think I could install them myself, or is it a body shop/toyota dealer thing?

Best,
    Justin
    [attachmentid=8605][attachmentid=8607]

Attached Files:

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I think the window tint guy is responsible for damaging your car with his heat gun. Bring the problem to his attention and ask him how he wants to take care of it.

3. politemusic

politemusic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Bill Merchant @ Jun 6 2007, 11:27 PM) [snapback]457192[/snapback]</div>

Yeah, he knows; he's coming by today to reimburse me some cash for this. I just want to make sure we order the right part (or I order it of the internet). And if the part is something I can install myself, or is it a dealer/body shop thing.

Thanks,
    Justin

4. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
  5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(politemusic @ Jun 7 2007, 10:46 AM) [snapback]457320[/snapback]</div>
    You made it far too easy on the Window Tinter and far too hard on yourself. You should have just taken the car to a body shop and sent the bill to the Window Tinter.

Here's what is going to happen. You are going to tell him it cost X dollars and he'll give you money. Then you'll get the parts and discover that it's really going to cost you Y dollars because you have to get a body shop to do it or you need additional parts, or whatever. You will then go back to the Window Tinter for Y dollars and he will rightfully say "Hey, I gave you what you asked for already. You can't keep coming back to me for more."

6. politemusic

politemusic New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Jun 7 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]457331[/snapback]</div>
    Marlin, I feel you. Makes sense. I didn't give the guy a total yet, I'll try and have something much more thorough before he comes by. I am finding those particular parts are cheap though, and they seem to be held in place simply with double-sided adhesive. I'll get more realistic estimates.

Anybody know if I have the right part at the link in my first post?

Thanks,
    Justin

7. priusincc

priusincc Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    The same exact thing happened to me yesterday. It looks like the moulding was overheated, only a worse blemish than politemusic's. This will give me ammunition when I go back to the tint guy Monday and jump in his Inbasket. The plastic must be overly sensitive to heat. Hopefully others will learn from this and pass info on to the tint shops to make them aware of sensitivity.
    [attachmentid=8751][attachmentid=8772]

Update (6/11/07):
    It gets worse. I also found gouge on door sill of left rear door caused by installer. The tint guy agreed to replace the door pillar AND the whole door panel. Should cost him about $400+ in parts. Simple tint job turned into a nightmare. At least he is making good on his mistakes.

Attached Files:

8. captnpops

captnpops Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I know this is a long-shot, but my 2005 Prius got hit by a errand rock(probably from a dump truck), and it ripped the front window frame moulding noted in this thread.. I've found the part, just wanted to know if I can do this job myself without screwing up the window belt mounding that the glass slides down on...btw I've got 165K on this baby and still running fine with one main traction battery replacement as the only repair.. as this is my 'town car', just want to keep it looking good.;. thanks captnpops

Central Virginian likes this.