1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need Prius driving lessons

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by dbacksfan, Jun 4, 2009.

1. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Okay, I've driven my new Prius for 50 miles, and I'm only getting 39.3 mpg. 42 miles were freeway driving, 60 - 70 mph with AC set to 77 (outside temp was 102). For the most part, the highway was a slight steady upgrade. The other 8 miles were on test drives. During my test drive, I was jumping on it pretty good in order to test its acceleration.

Is it too early to tell? Or will I be banned from PC for "achieving" the worst gas mileage. :eek:

2. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just read up on Pulse and Glide and the like ... I'm still surprised you are getting such low mileage even on the highway. The steady drive uphill though will make quite a difference. Just keep at it! :)

3. Blauer Glimmer

Blauer Glimmer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    50 miles? Waaaay to early to make a judgment.

4. wvgasguy

wvgasguy New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    So let me see, mostly uphill, you "jumped" on it and it has 8 miles of test drives. I think you need to drive normal for more than 50 miles to make any assessment on the expectations.

5. cultofprius

cultofprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My first 80 miles were driving back from the dealership at 65-70 mph. Mileage was about 45 mpg. It wasn't nearly as hot, so I didn't run the AC as much as you probably did. Next 80 miles were much more city driving and commuting at lower speeds. Also, I started to figure out how to keep the engine in electric mode more. When I left the freeway yesterday on my commute home, I was able to drive the last 3-4 miles on surface streets about 90% electric.

The mileage has started to creep up, now I'm more like 55 mpg. But I'm running the AC way less than I did in my last car.

It is funny, when I was at 45 mpg, I told my wife I'd just be happy getting to 50 mpg. A few days later I'm disappointed that I'm not at 60 mpg.

6. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was averaging only about 45 MPG during my first 50 miles, mainly because I was testing out the power mode in order to compare the 1.8L to the Gen II.

Now I'm at about 125 miles and averaging 55MPG. I started using the eco mode a lot, which is great for my all city commute.

Still learning pulse & glide, and can't wait to start learning other hypermiling techniques.

8. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hang in there. Sometimes when MFD mileage reset, average can be off for a while by a few short trips, climbs, etc...

Mine settles into an easy 50+ MPG's and I don't practice hypermiling.
    I'm at 56.x average today.

People talk about break in time. Mine was pulling over 50 MPG average brand new. Didn't notice an increase after break-in since was heading into Fall, October time frame.

Not to brag, that's just how it was for me.

9. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Also, go easy on the throttle. Pretend there is an egg between your foot and the gas pedal.

Accelerate smoothly, get off the gas whenever possible, glide into stop lights or traffic, but don't irritate drivers behind you. I accelerate reasonably when a faster vehicle is behind. If they're obnoxious, I move over if able.

10. HTMLSpinnr

HTMLSpinnr Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Few of the biggest things that help:

* Avoid excessive speed - speed limit or flow of traffic is fine.
    * Avoid rapid acceleration - while keeping out of the red power band in the Hybrid System Indicator might be too slow for flow of traffic, there's no need to gun it either.
    * Don't stay on the gas till the last minute before braking for a stop. Anticipate your stops where possible and break early and light to take full advantage of regeneration.
    * Try getting used to Eco mode. After the 1/2 way point on your gas pedal, it's the same as the other two driving modes anyway except for the reduced A/C output.

11. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    One more thing, if I got a 2010, and couldn't beat over 45 average MPG consistently, summertime, I would be upset.

One more reason to keep mine - it get's the killer MPG's!

1 person likes this.
  12. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    You Have 2 Weeks To Straighten This Out!:yell:

If We See No Improvement, You Will Be Banned!! :banplease:

1 person likes this.
  13. cultofprius

cultofprius New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, it will be interesting to see opinions of the Eco mode after there are more data points (more drivers).

I have avoided it in city driving, because acceleration from a stop is so slow, I have been caught off guard as lights changed a couple times and I crawled forward.

At freeway speeds it seems like just turning down or off the AC will accomplish the same thing as Eco mode.

Likewise, I haven't found it too _necessary_ to switch into Pwr mode, although I guess it is nice to have it there. There was a similar button on my MINI called Sport mode, that I never used, tho the MINI had way more acceleration when pushed.

And I haven't figured out the advantage of EV mode, since I can keep it all-electric without the 25 mph limit by keeping acceleration low. I did notice that if I hit the EV button right when I turn the car on, it keeps the engine from turning on.

Am I missing something, should I be using these buttons more?

14. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Ummmm.... this is pressure. I will try to do much better. :p

15. catgic

catgic Mastr & Commandr Hybrid Guru

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    HTTP 404 Not Found

16. dbacksfan

dbacksfan Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I'm normally one of the slower folks on 101 - do no more than 5-6 miles over speed limit.

I probably accelerate off the line too quickly, but I try to anticipate and glide to stops when safe and otherwise practical.

Being new to this, I find it difficult to scan the gauges and be attentive to traffic. I'm sure this will become much easier as I become more familiar with the operating the display and how to access, read and comprend the data quickly and safely.

Someone ought to build a computer simulator / flash application so that newbies like myself can practice without getting behind the wheel.:p

Oh well, back to my lunch and reading the owners manual.

17. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You mean if you got out and pushed you had better acceleration than using the engine?
    Now that is showing a total commitment to hyper-miling. :D

1 person likes this.
  18. scienceexpert

scienceexpert New Member

Model:
    II
    If you have to coast in neutral to get great gas mileage what is the reason for upgrading?

I do that in my SUV coasting in neutral up to lights and coasting down hill.

NOW Something I learned taking flying lessons.

Drive and fly LOOKING AS FAR AHEAD AS POSSIBLE!

BE PREPARED TO STOP OR GO!

A little gas saving tip.

Take a look at the don't walk signs. In my city the old ones would flash 13 times before the light changed.

If you are driving and looking ahead you can count them and know if you can go through or you will need to stop..

The new ones have a count down number system so just look at the numbers if your eyes are good enough in city traffic.

I liked the old flashers I could see them a mile ahead and coast without breaks knowing the light was going to change and never stop. It has saved me a ton of gas.

My flight instructor gave me a great tip for driving. Avoid accidents look far, far ahead!:rockon::rockon:

19. Steve Cebu

Steve Cebu New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got my car and I have noticed it does not like to glide. If you put it in neutral sure no problem but if you just take your foot off the gas it slows down very quickly. Any ideas why?
    I have to have the dealer check some things tomorrow and was hoping to have an answer for him about what might be wrong. Oh and yes even going down a hill but less so.
    Thanks

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Great tip that, how come no one ever told me before to avoid accidents?
    Some great tips on this thread and lots of reading in the economy threads.

OK, enough warm and friendly, 50+ numbers by the end of the month or we get the admins to ban you. We can't have these bad numbers messing with the average. This is like a private college hey?
    Your Prius will accelerate just as hard in Eco as in Pwr if you floor it, the modes only change the accelerator response in the top half of its travel. Even in EV mode, if you floor it you get full power.

This could be crap advice but this is how I drive my 04 Prius and get 55mpg around town.
    Tyres at 41/40 up to 50/48. I haven't notices much benefit having the tyres harder than 42/40 but my car handles better at 50/48.
    Accelerate at about 50% throttle or more. Do not lift at all until you hit the speed you want to cruise at.
    At your cruise speed lift off then press down to a no arrows glide.
    Accelerate slightly before you hit a rise, like at the bottom of a bridge and hold your foot steady. If you do this right you will crest the rise at the speed limit.
    Avoid stopping by trying to glide to a stop at red lights. Often the light will change before you get there.
    When there is a line of traffic and the light goes green try to arrive at the end of the line after the last car is rolling at a reasonable speed, thus avoiding stopping and needing to accelerate from a stop.
    It is better to arrive at a traffic light as it changes while you are rolling, no mater how slow, than to stop at the light. Maintain momentum.
    Drive on the battery as little as possible. I use a little electric when on slight down hill slopes to maintain speed especially if there is a slight rise which will require me to light up the ICE (internal Combustion Engine).
    Use EV only to reverse out of your driveway or in shop carparks.
    The last 3km of my journey home I try to keep the ICE from starting. I don't know if that helps but I do it anyway.
    Turn off the AC when the temperature is comfortable in the cab for the last 3km of your journey.

That will do for starters.