1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need some help with no- start 2010 Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by toywithit, Mar 4, 2018.

1. toywithit

toywithit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    My car was running fine as I parked it after about 100 mile trip and the next day I got in it and got the check hybrid system , everything still works and I tried jump starting it but it does noting. big battery still full and 12v is 2 years old, I bought the car with 91,000 and it has 102,000 now as I am the second owner, first owner had

Date 3/18/14 Mileage 54,335

3/18/14

RECALL
    CUST REQUEST RECALL SSC EOE SOFT WARE UPDATE FOR MOTOR GENERATOR ECU AND POWER MANAGEMENT ~|~EOE ~|~PERFORMED RECALL SSC EOE AGG0 9A

I do not see movement it the coolant as I think it is why it's not starting .. what can I do next as does it have a fuse I can check?

I checked it with Zurich zr8 and really says noting about a lot of red lights blinking.

Thanks.

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I don't think a coolant pump problem will give you a no-start, though it can give you a limp-home condition while driving if the electronics overheat.

You will probably not find any shortcut to just reading the trouble codes to find out what the car is trying to tell you about. That can be done at a dealer, or any independent shop that has Toyota Techstream, or by you if you have a laptop to put Techstream on and buy a dongle to plug into the car.

You mention that the 12 V battery is 2 years old, but you don't mention actually checking its voltage. Have you checked? Do the instruments, dome light, etc., seem normal in brightness when you get in?

-Chap

m.wynn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. toywithit

toywithit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I have not check it for voltage but it is the Prius 5 with JBL and it has full power to blast it so it does not seem weak,, I kind of thought maybe starter itself but I guess it doesn't have a starter .

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Right. Don't do too much blasting so the 12 volt doesn't get too low, and get the trouble codes read. It may even turn out to be something simple.

-Chap

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are the hybrid battery fan and intake grille clean and free from blockage?

6. toywithit

toywithit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I finally had it towed to dealer ship and Invertor was burned out , Toyota is taking care of it 100% with new invertor and all labor and when i get it back she may stop by CarMax as in bye bye.

Raytheeagle and bisco like this.
  7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    wow, i had no idea the inverter was covered that long. why not look at a marque with higher reliability?(y)

8. toywithit

toywithit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    After reading all the flaws the 2010-11 have it's hard to have faith ,, Never understood why Toyota just didn't care to fix them or buy them back and update needed changes and resell back as improved and cheaper as building all new platforms as just update existing .

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no doubt they go the most profitable route.