1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need the tire talk.

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by Higgins909, Apr 15, 2018.

1. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I'm looking for new tires. I've included my "list of things I've noticed" about my car, to possibly give a better insight to my problem (s).

I've got a 2010 Prius that's pretty much stock. 164K miles. It's got douglas tires, 195/65/15. I use the door psi. (Doesn't over inflation cause the tire to wear improperly and unsafe handling?) These tires are alright in dry conditions, but wet can be very scary... One day I was coming to a smooth stop and the last 10 ft or so, one of the wheels locked up for a second. (have actually driven in some super rain where the roads were a bit heavy in water and it was pulling me around)

When I first got this car the computer said 73mpg even though the trip meter was reset at a later time, than fillup. I've had fillups where the computer says I've averaged 43mpg and now after my last fillup I'm at 39mpg. Although in reality, I've been getting 40-41mpg, calculating at the pump. I've noticed the eco meter will increase as I increase the throttle, but to actually accelerate any real amount I have to take it into the power. At certain speeds I could be say 1/8-1/4 above the center line and taking it all the way to the end of eco will accelerate 1 mph every 3 seconds... Then there are times were it feels like the car accelerates without having to putting my foot down.

Back to tires a bit more... I feel like my car understeers in the rain sometimes. Doesn't seem like I'm taking the turn fast enough to do that. (Used to have a 04 accord I4 with also cheap tires. Tires are part of why it's RIPieces) Also my suspension feels swayee and loose. When I come to a stop on a empty tank even if smooth, the car shakes and it gives me the impression that someone has rearended me. I'm not sure if the tires could be a partial blame or if something is wrong with my car. I know I'm getting a bit off topic, but I've read around and it seems that struts are supposed to be lifetime? Replacing them seems to be unheard of.

New tires have been on my list since I've gotten the car. Does my car sound normal for the rain? What about mpg? I found in my last car, it didn't matter how I drove, I was averaging about 23mpg. Even if I drive nice I have yet to get near EPA mpg, with this prius. Pulse n Glide or try to take roads I can drive electric only. I'm wondering if my tires not being low rolling resistance are hurting me.

Thanks,
    Higgins909

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!

are you burning any oil? sounds like tyres might be the least of your problems.

i love my michelin energy savers a/s, but have no idea about wet handling. you should be able to find old threads on that. you want something that will still give decent mpg's.

3. Higgins909

Higgins909 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I don't think so, but it looks like my oil has finally darkened a bit. (only put about 1500 miles on it and assume the dealer changed the oil, which I want to do with oil I know is good) I did notice that the oil might be a bit overfilled though. I'm not sure if it gets smeared when I pull the stick up or what. I'm not really sure if I can remove the drain plug for a few seconds and then put it back in with lots of oil still in it. I think I would rather get new oil and filter, but I don't know when I would get either done.

I discovered a layer of dirt/mud/sand/something in at least the rear wheel wells. It also looks like there is dried up oil on the rear struts and the front strut seals are very ripped.... I also notice a clunking sometimes when doing back into D after reversing.

I put the cold tires to 42/40 while it was 73 deg out. I guess I can try it for a tank and see if it does anything. Supposed to be 64F next morning, last morning it was 48F. Wonder if my psi drops in the morning and it's effecting my mpg.

How many miles have you put on those tires?

4. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Any random acceleration, check if your Prius has any recalls pending to performed for a fix.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    about 5,000. but i drive like an old lady, and have never had trouble with any tires. i bought them because i knew they were very quiet and get great mpg's.

you can siphon out extra oil through the dipstick with a cheap syphon from an auto parts store.
    i don't think tyre pressure is your problem.

if the struts are shot, that might affect handling.