1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need to be prepared to be screwed by the dealer?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by marblekit, Oct 6, 2011.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    they are more difficult than 100 level.;)

2. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    This is what a slow leak in the water pump looks like. I had to add coolant just once the past 10,000 miles, and there was still plenty left in the overflow.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  3. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yelp reviews should be taken with a grain of salt because people who usually go on there to write about dealerships are the ones who were very dissatisfied. Therefore, it is not a good indicator of the overall customer satisfaction.

4. EffinRed

EffinRed Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This is true for the most part and I have had a few experiences where the reviews and the service I received were not in line (in both directions).

I found a great local dealer asking here and at work.

5. marblekit

marblekit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked my water pump and there is a very small amount of that pink crud on the outside. It doesn't appear to be very much and my overflow tank is full. I assume this is nothing to be too concerned about?

6. The Critic

The Critic Resident Critic

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    That is enough of a leak for the dealer to try and upsell a water pump replacement. And yes, I would replace the pump.

7. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Once it starts leaking past the seal, there is a risk of bearing failure. It is always better to replace it as soon as possible. But you have time to call around and find a good deal, or research the procedure here and do it yourself. On mine, I tolerated it far longer that I should have, just to see if it would eventually suffer a catastrophic failure

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its dicey to watch a water pump for failure that you know is weeping because our car does not have a temp gauge so unless you have a scangauge like alot of us you will never know if it has sprung a leak and the engine is overheating.
    You do not know the engine temp and won't know you have a problem till it throws a check engine light and that is why past when you need to know.

I would replace a pump that is weeping. Its trying to get your attention.

9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If it were me, I'd buy a pump now from the cheapest internet source I could find. Then I'd put the pump in the trunk and wait for something more exciting. Until the system starts losing enough fluid that you have to top it off, I say let it weep.