1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need to vent...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Prius92, Aug 10, 2022.

1. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whoever designed the hybrid battery mounting system is a complete moron.

Sure, I'm sure it was probably made to be easier to put together at the factory, and quite frankly it's rather environmentally unwholesome that Toyota's official stance is just to replace the entire battery rather than failing modules, or even replace all the modules with new ones, saving hundreds over all the other stuff that is stuffed in there.

The sheet metal for the battery is way too thin, especially for something meant to hold so much weight. I had to use a rubber mallet and shape a lot of the metal back into place, some of it is thin enough to just easily bend with your fingers.

Toyota should have designed the modules with eyelets on the sides where the rods go through it, that way all the modules can easily be lifted out in one large unit.

But no...they use hard plastic blocks on each side, that have a tab on one of the mounting holes for no good reason, which means you have to do a bunch of tweaking in order to get the nut threaded, because this tab interferes with it.

You have to have these in place before you can bolt the lower rods in, so you have to crawl underneath the modules with your fingers to line them up, and of course the holes on the "ears" of the lower rods where they slide over the plastic tabs on the hard plastic blocks.

Once that's done, you have to turn into the hulk to slide the mounting holes of the hard plastic blocks over the bolts sticking out of the bottom tray.

I've designed a lot of stuff over the years, and this is by far the most moronic way of making a system of holding batteries together.

2. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It's difficult at first... But over time you refine the sequence of one step after the other. For example the pack is mounted to the rack and four metal rods and two plastic end caps. If you're going to change modules then optimize cooling when reconditioning by taking the rack with modules off the thin metal plate aka, chassis.

When it's time to put the rack w/modules back on the chassis you hang one edge of the pack off the edge of the table and put a mirror under it and use the mirror to see where to bolt all the modules into place. Once you get the mirror in the right position bolting modules down goes very quickly. All 28 bolts under modules and 56 bus bar bolts takes less than 20 minutes once you have an established routine.

And compared to how Honda mounts the NiMH modules, I like Prius way more, it's way less hassle! But perhaps that's just because I've worked on more Prius than Honda hybrids.

3. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When the modules are new at the factory they go together in seconds, all used modules have some swelling bulging distortion). They weren't designed or intended to be serviced. Core exchange by a dealer with in house recycling to meet regulations, whatever that is. Thin sheet metal with multiple breaks (engineered bends) to provide longitudinal strength, with reduced weight, weren't designed to be handled by the layman/end user/reconditioner.

Another likes this.
  4. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I agree in some ways. Toyota went a bit overboard in some areas when trying to save weight. That said, how often does the average Prius owner have to replace the HV battery?

From a technical / company perspective, I can understand the "all or nothing" battery replacement rule. Anything else will result in high warranty rates, tie up shop bays for long time, and need special equipment and training for limited return.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

Doug McC likes this.
  5. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    They should have been in a slide out tray, and all shipped to a central facility for disposition.

6. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well I am pissed, I had a 2nd module fail the final cycle.

I have an insurance settlement check coming my way, might just order an entire assembly.

7. PriusCamper

PriusCamper Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A shop loses money if a repaired pack comes back... But if you're DIY and you're doing the work for yourself or your friends, getting back on the road for the cost of a $35 replacement module compared to several thousand dollars is an impressive magic trick. And if that only lasts a little while and you've been honest with the vehicle owner, then you get paid to fix the next bad module. It's a great way to save money a few times. But after a few times most everyone is ready for a new pack.

8. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Toyota does replace all modules with new ones as the default solution

This is the smart move

seatbeltfastened likes this.
  9. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you try taking it below 6 volts ?

10. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    All modules were originally taken to 3 volts on the next to last cycle, with notable capacity improvement, except one module, the capacity went down, quite a bit.

I did another cycle on it, this time to 2.9V, and the capacity halved.

I am thinking maybe a module that has halved it's capacity may be experiencing a reverse polarity in one of the cells, and rather than charging it at .5A the entire time, I might try a full 5A rate for 2-3 minutes to "shock" the cells back into correct polarity orientation.

11. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry, but it does not work that way. A module with a reversed cell is junk and there is nothing you can do to revive it. Save yourself the hassle and time-wasting and just replace it.

#11 dolj, Aug 11, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  12. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    And... do not take the modules below 6 volts, or they an be damaged, per panasonic, and industry

13. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    For the 1400 we spent probably the best deal for this car and just eliminates that for a long long time like the original did my original came out at 19 years and some change and it was failing and the new one has completely eliminated me even worrying about the hybrid battery portion of the vehicle completely don't even look at the bars anymore doesn't matter it's a brand new battery it's working fine.

Doug McC likes this.
  14. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Ugh...there's a lot of conflicting info about RP situations on this forum as well.

Also irritated the replacement I bought off eBay is from an 05 and junk as well.

15. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    you cant fix a reversed cell, unless u r panasonic

i wouldnt buy a module off ebay unless he gave at least a 10 day warranty and he paid the return shipping if it didnt meet whatever minimum amp hour he says it has, i bet he doesnt say how many ah it has either.

16. highmilesgarage

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I have extra 2 modules that are good if you're interested. I'm supposed to use it but found out that my existing ones are okay, I bought 4 but only used 2.

I bought 2 modules from 2ndlifebattery.com and 2 from a guy in Chicago via marketplace. eBay or Amazon is not my goto place for used/reconditioned modules.

17. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    As a last ditch effort, I charged the reversed polarity module at 5A until the voltage hit a peak, then I slow charged it at .5A, also increasing the cutoff from 7200 to 7500MAh.

Today I ran my discharger on it, and it came back at 4990MAh, which was the same capacity before it reversed.

I am running another cycle, this time to just 6V on a discharge, to see if will repeat a good capacity. Reason I did this..I could have sworn I read on here on a rebuilding thread that reverse polarity is usually NOT a permanent condition.

The eBay module is coming up too, I forgot capacity is usually lower on the first cycle hence why sometimes 5 are needed. It came back with a touch over 5000MAh on the 2nd cycle discharge.

18. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly, the module did not have a reversed cell, you need to consider some other explanation for what you observed.

#18 dolj, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
    tracy ing likes this.
  19. tracy ing

tracy ing Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You cant undo the damage of a reversed cell, even if it APPEARS to go positive under a hail mary charge, it is ruined. But, it is easy to prevent, do not discharge below 6 volts (1 volt per cell)
    1reverse.jpg

Google not only has sheets, they also have powerpoint lol, I MADE THAT

THE ONLY WAY TO PREVENT THIS AND GET ALL YOU CAN GET IS TO DRILL ACCESS HOLES IN THE MODULE AND ATTACK EACH CELL INDIVIDUALLY WHEN YOU RECONDITION THEM, WHICH IS TOTALLY POSSIBLE I HAVE DONE IT ON PRIUS AND HONDA CELLS. WITH THAT METHOD YOU CANT REVERSE A CELL AND YOU WILL GET BETTER RESULTS THAN ANY OTHER METHOD THAT CHARGES DISCHARGES AT THE MODULE LEVEL. IT IS A FACT.

On the honda its easy, the outside metal case is the negative, just insert a probe into the mylar.

#19 tracy ing, Aug 13, 2022
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2022
  20. Prius92

Prius92 Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just stuff I found online.