1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need to wash my car already! Any reccomendations

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by tracysbeans, Jan 12, 2006.

1. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Many Zaino users are not so enlightened as you though LOL ;) I've seen people get banned from boards trying to defend Zaino.

Just out of curiosity, have you seen the car detailed with anything else?

2. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Member

As for the blue, I agree about the plastic look but disagree about how I perceive it. I have 4 coats of Zaino on, but I would not go further down the plastic path. I think it looks good though, and its not all about looks for me. I sure am happy with the performance on the 3 cars that I've applied too (white, black and blue). My car is dirty and clean and just downright appealing all at the same time, and couldn't say that until I started using this stuff.

(Speaking of Zaino, where the heck is popoff? Hadn't seen him in a while.)

And your right, autopia is a much better place to have the zaino zealets run you down.... :)

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    used plain old caranuba- turtle wax- for the first 3 months, looked beautiful but i had to wax monthly and got pretty pissed after the 3rd time. considered meguiars NXT but decided just to take the leap and get zaino.

i like waxing every 6 mo or so, i like how the water still beads after all that time, i like how the car looks nicer than all the other black cars in whatever parking lot i'm in even if i haven't washed it in a week. i like how the car looks overall.

4. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    You're entitled to your opinions, but if you've never detailed your black car with a high quality carnauba like Pinnacle Souveran, your opinion is uninformed.

5. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    That's an excellent point. Final appearance is much more dependent on surface preparation than the sealant you choose to use. And surface preparation is much more dependent on the skills of the detailer than the products he or she uses. As much as I like to bash Meguiar's, the truth is, in the hands of a sufficiently skilled detailer, you can get excellent results with their products (just not as easily or quickly, in my experience).

News flash for you newbie Zaino users: the preparation steps that Zaino recommends are not unique to applying Zaino. They're the same for every product, and have much to do with the results obtained with Zaino. Other mfgrs just assume you already know this, and don't feel the need to describe each step in excruciating detail.

6. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with priusenvy, you should try something else. The Turtle Wax doesn't have very good optics obviously, NXT has a pretty good pseudo-carnuaba look but the durability isn't there, and its not a cleaner free LSP so I personally only use it on one steps.

I bet if you were to see your black Prius polished out properly by machine, glazed with Vanilla Moose and finished with 2 coats of Pinnacle Souveran you'd never want to use Zaino again.

As for waxing every 6 months, I still would wax at least every 3 months with the Zaino, I doubt much of anything is there after ~4 months, especially if it sits outside.

The effect you're seeing that your car looks better than most black cars actually probably has very little to do with the Zaino itself. It probably has more to do with the fact that:

1. Its new. Most paint will bead regardless of whether it has any protectant on it at all.

2. Its regularly cared for and regularly washed, you'd be shocked how long some people go between washes.

3. Its clearcoated, a lot of black isn't clearcoated and it gets dull quick if its not maintained. See aforementioned #2 lol.

Again I'm not saying that Zaino is a bad product, I'm just saying that a lot of the benefits people attribute to Zaino aren't caused by the Zaino at all, but simply by routine care. You'd be surprised how good a modern car will look if you just run it through the car wash every other week for its whole life. I'm not advocating that obviously, but its the truth.

7. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    None taken...... I have never had a car before that I wanted to baby like the prius.
    Except my first car when I was a teenager... nufinish was the cool thing... especially if you were poor and had some piece of crap car "like I did" that you wanted to make look nice.
    My first car was a 64 olds cutlass and I polished it about every 2 days! I was offered to sell it all the time!.... I used turtle wax type products back then, but I didn't mind putting forth the effort to make it pay off back then.

Later I was very happy to find silicone!... a better looking finish with less effort and you could apply it in the sun!... yaaaa!

I'm guessing that some of the power of nufinish is the fact that it does have abrasive qualities... thats how it removes road grime and oxidation.... But it in fact may not be fit for a new finish "I don't know".

I am definately open to suggestions. It needs to be something I can do without having to have a detailing degree to learn.
    Based on my old school mentality... I have avoided "waxes" that come off and wear so easily.....and have leaned more towards silicone that bonds and last much longer.

I would be interested to know about any products that are more modern and can be applied easily that won't damage. I shouldn't have to be able to devote a whole afternoon to "doing it right", and have to start all over because I missed a step or did something wrong.

Isn't there a remedy that won't hurt the finish that doesn't take all day to do every time and is easy to apply?

Maybe thats too tall of an order?

It may not look as good as "doing it right", but if it does a better job than Nu-finish.. I'm game for learning about it.

8. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Exactly... Zaino may be the cats meow... but if you use it with the same care that people usually do that use cheap waxes.. then it may not fare so well!

Many products carry the phenominon... Even excercise!..... anytime something costs you a high price.. you take care not to screw it up!..

If the price was cheap... you treat it carelessly!

9. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Is there something I can buy locally to wash my car with? I don't like to have to have to order my products on the internet unless it's only available that way.

I just NEED to wash my car. These are the auto stores I have here locally

Toys for Trucks
    Advanced Auto Parts
    AutoZone
    Checker Auto Part

The temparture is 23 here. It's ok to wash my car at that tempature?/

I really want to take care of my car. I guess I was hoping I go do that by just going through a car wash. :(

I just want to make sure I take care of my car properly! That's all!

10. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

I just talked to one of the top Auto body repair shops and he said going through a touchless car was would be fine for the car. He said probably better than washing it by hand.

So many different opinions.

11. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    in the winter, go ahead with the touchless. but wash it by hand during the summer if you can. i notice the bottom half of my car doesn't get clean in the touchless and there are some things that just won't come off.

a good careful wash by hand will get all that junk off.

12. harrv

harrv Member

Tracy,

Most of the people in this forum are a bit obsessive. That's what makes it fun. But your car will be fine going through a touchless carwash. And it will be happy it is clean. Just unscrew the antenna first to be safe.

Go for it!

13. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok I will do a touchless wash just for today since It would be way to cold out to wash it by hand!

14. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Touchless car washes that I've ever used are sucky.... they do a very poor job.. unless your car was pretty much already clean.

15. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Oh so the antenna just screws off easliy?? Glad you mentioned that cause I didn't realize that should be taken off.

16. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Well it's TO cold here right now to do it by hand ;)

17. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Just go to Target and get some Meguiar's Gold Class car wash. It's plenty good enough, even for enthusiasts who would never let a parts-store brand product touch their paint.

18. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok that's the reccomendation the autobody person told me too.

19. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok so they tell me via phone that there's 3 different types of washes they offer with the touchless wash. The basic wash for $5 and then the better ones that include underneath washing and wax etc.

So which one do I get. :blink: (Take it easy on me I'm blond ;) )

20. tracysbeans

tracysbeans Member

Ok I just got back from the touchless car was and let's say so far I'm not impressed with it.

Here are the options I picked from

Blue Wash $5 or $4 with 8 gallons of gas
    Single Pass Wash
    Clear Coat Sealant
    Blow Dry

Silver Wash $6 or $5 with 8 gallons of gas
    Under Car Flush
    Single Pass Wash
    Clear Coat Sealant
    Blow Dry

Ultimate Wash $7 or $6 with 8 gallons of gas
    Under Car Flush
    Tire Chemical Spray
    Rocker Panel Blaster
    Tire/Wheel Blaster
    Single Pass Wash
    Clear Coat Sealant
    Blow Dry

Double Ultimate Car Wash $8 or $7 with 8 gallons of gas
    Under Car Flush
    Tire Chemical Spray
    Rocker Panel Blaster
    Tire/Wheel Blaster
    Double Presoak
    Double Car Wash
    Clear Coat sealant
    Blowdry

I chose to do the ultimate car wash. When I pulled out and when to put my atenna back on I notice it had a film of dust all over it. :( I looked it over further and it was like that ALL over my car. I complained and showed the guy I could write something on the hood of my car with my finger. He was real nice and said touchless washes can do that. The sometimes leave a film of dust on them. I said that sucks cause it's to cold right now to be washing my car. He gave me a FREE ticket to try out the Double Ultimate car wash. Maybe that will work. He also said to bring a towel from home to wipe it down once you pull out of the wash. He said that's what many people do. It might or might not help. I'm going to give it a try next week.

Living in Wisconsin it's kinda cold to be washing your car in the wintertime.

I hope my next wash with them works out better. If not I will have to freeze my butt off washing it in winter.

I guess that's what I have to deal with having a black car. I like the look of a black Prius though so wouldn't have picked any other color though.

The guy at the gas station explained that the touchless car wash is kinda like taking a shower with no soap. The water will spray you off but not clean you. Same thing he said about the touchless wash. It hoses the car off but since it doesn't touch the car it can't remove everything.

I'm going to give it one more try next week with my free double ultimate car wash pass and a towel. Hopefully that will make a difference!