1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need your ideas, I am attracting every idiot on the frwy...

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Absolutly Red Hot, Oct 8, 2013.

1. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Since he didn't write a clear statement, it could also be read as "Most of the jerks [on the road] are "members"" Thus saying that most of the people he sees on the road that are jerks, happen to be NRA members. Words don't translate well when you don't write what you mean.

steveoknievo likes this.
  2. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
  3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    interplanetary ;)
    His problem is actually quite simple ... Besides (as stated above) finding himself with lanes to the right of him (where I hope he only drives from now on) he should be driving slower . Yep ... once he starts driving in the far right lane - he's still driving too fast. You see - once you're driving slow enough ... NO one's going to pass you - then cut you off hard, because once they speed up to pass, they won't want to slow down enough to cut you off.
    ;)

4. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    He only had lanes to his right because they were exit only lanes that were ending.

5. Jeffrey Jessup

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    As a new Prius driver but a long time NRA member and a CCW legal daily gun carrying driver, I previously drove a Scion xA. Always had my NRA sticker on the Scion and is the only sticker I put on my Prius so far. IMHO, it seems like other drivers see a small car as just an irritant in their way of getting to their destination. I also drive a motorcycle and a full size Ram 4x4. People will always tailgate the small cars regardless of my speed unless I'm passing everyone on the road at 80+ but normally don't drive that way ever. When in the Ram, it's like they fear they will be killed if an impact occurs so provide space and on the bike they realize that they (not all) realize they may kill me so (normally) provide space (if they see me). When in the small cars, it's like the other drivers (not all) are irritated if I'm in front of them even when driving over the speed limit. I always drove the Scion 5-10 mph over the limit and almost always were being tailgated/cutoff. The perception seems to be that the small car driver is still protected to some degree with a metal cage so can take a bump or worse, can't catch the offender, and since he/she is paying so much more in gas/diesel "I'll be damned if I'm gonna let that gas saving, tree hugging liberal be in front of me". As far as the gun thing comes in, I find that since I've been carrying, I'm much less aggressive as I hope to never have to take someones life unless I'm in imminent danger of losing my own or another innocent around me. Road rage is a very real problem and I try not to add to it whenever possible. I try to live by the golden rule and that includes while driving regardless of what I'm driving but know not everyone feels that way. When in heavy traffic, I find while changing lanes to be where I need to be, I may be tailgating briefly but I still brake slowly to allow that legal (safe) space. If other drivers fill that space, I'll slow more. Yes, it does seem like I may be backing up as others take advantage of my polite but safe driving methods, but I arrive almost as soon as the aggressive drivers, save gas doing it, and have less stress and guilt by otherwise losing it. Aren't the drivers filling that space doing the same thing I did by getting in the needed lane as an opening occurred? Just focus on your own legal driving practices, be tolerant to idiots as time may educate them or they won't survive. Your own safety is the important issue here so focus, focus, focus.

jonb505, Mark323, xraydoug and 6 others like this.
  6. 2015Prius2

2015Prius2 Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    6 in one hand, 1/2 dozen in the other....

As a long time NRA member, I'd ask you to take the sticker off your car if you don't believe in what it stands for. If you are just using it for personal gain and don't stand for your 2nd amendment rights, please take it off.....

Jimmy005, Mark323, RickInMesa and 3 others like this.
  7. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Very well written and I concur.

2015Prius2 likes this.
  8. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    His post revealed some very serious and unfounded bigotry.

Around here, jerks are quite common but NRA stickers are very rare. The only way to say the majority of jerks are NRA members is through an unsupported assumption. And a very bigoted assumption at that.

steveoknievo likes this.
  9. oberkc

oberkc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Of course, if someone said,

"most idiots I know are liberals"

there would be plenty of of righteous indignation from many. Comments like that ARE meant as derogatory...no twisting of words necessary.

Now...back to complaining about those darn BMW drivers.

fuzzy1 and ztanos like this.
  10. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Or you could say something to the effect of
    Anyone who would say
    would HAVE to be a liberal.

and their response would then be
    And then they'd remain silent on the issue because, afterall, that's how liberals are.

Or you could maintain a neutral statement instead of playing your hand so early in the game, and that way people on the other side of the fence wouldn't feel the need to reply... Don't liberals drive BMW's too? Maybe there's a correlation there we should take a look at..

Be sure not to "twist my words!":rolleyes:

One could even go as far as to say that the Prius is a Democrat car. This is yet another crude generalization that is utterly false. I should know, I'm a walking contradiction.:giggle:

We could do without these stupid (incorrect) partisan remarks. They are simply uncalled for and unneeded.:mad:

xraydoug and 2015Prius2 like this.
  11. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    The difference is that the BMW drivers have been categorized as the worst drivers in the world by facts provided by insurance companies and speeding ticket demographics.

12. oberkc

oberkc Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I am one of those contradictions, as well. It has always amazed me that people assume I drive a Prius C out of concern for the environment. I assume such assumptions are part of the stereotype. Nobody accuses me simply of trying to save money.

Ironically, I am not even convinced a Prius is any better for the environment than any other small car, given batteries, metals, disposition, etc...

Did I mention that evil BMW driver that flashed his lights at me?

steveoknievo likes this.
  13. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Those 'facts' must be subject to a severe selection bias. The worst drivers I've seen have been in areas (outside the U.S. but still in this 'world') where nearly everyone could not afford BMWs or insurance, congestion allowed very little speeding, and traffic tickets were nearly nonexistent.

14. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Don't know, but the 'facts' probably take into account that there are more BMWs worldwide than those 3rd world country bad drivers cars. ;) The speeding was just saying that BMWs have received the most tickets out of any other type of car.

15. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Advice: Get out of the way

16. winnertakesteve

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    i guess i'm just getting a thick skin driving in downtown toronto. its not really hybrid rage though, drivers here get mad at you for not plowing through a pedestrian filled crosswalk. sometimes you just have to roll your eyes. :rolleyes:

17. steveoknievo

steveoknievo Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I've noticed that after debadging my Prius C, folks tend to calm down about it. They don't realize it's a Prius since it doesn't look like the typical hatchback, so they default to some strange looking Yaris or something and carry on with their day.

Mark323, Shibby and minkus like this.
  18. Bingee

Bingee Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Take both your middle fingers on each hand , and using one rubber band each
    Band the center finger with your fore finger ... Then when some schmuck up sets
    You , give him the finger , will look like a peace sign

19. Gne

Gne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If you want respect on the road I suggest you get your hands on a Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, Dodge Charger, or whatever your local police force/sheriff's department drives. Outfit it as a clean roof car. Otherwise go the speed limit or flow of traffic whichever is greater. Problem solved.

20. JG2

JG2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I am a new Prius owner and I experienced the same thing. My other car is a Jetta, and although I have been cut off and passed on the road, I had NEVER experienced the type of aggressive driving that I have in my first week driving my Prius. I first thought it was the color (red) but now this post has made the reason clearer.

My first night owning the car I drove on the highway. I was driving a bit over the speed limit in the right lane - it is a 4 lane highway. Suddenly, in my rear view mirror, I see a big pickup truck approaching VERY fast. He quickly overtakes me but not by getting in the clear lane to my left...he goes to my right in the emergency lane kicking up all the debris on the side of the road. Yes, I had some choice words but it scared the s*** out of me.

First day driving to work in the new car, as I'm taking a left exit off of the highway, a Caddilac driver drives closely behind me, dips left overtakes me while tailgating the other driver in the furthest left lane, then cuts me off and crosses two lanes to go straight- he didn't even take the exit and there wasn't any traffic in the straight lanes, he could have just put on his blinker and moved right, but I guess he had something to prove.