1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I need your ideas, I am attracting every idiot on the frwy...

Discussion in 'Prius c Main Forum' started by Absolutly Red Hot, Oct 8, 2013.

1. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Idiots exist at all levels. A fast car driven agressively will attract its own group of idiots. A sensible car, like a Prius, driven conservatively will attract other types of idiots.

Don't let the idiots get to you - there are too many of them.

This makes me think of a joke...

Two drivers arrive at an open parking spot at the exact same time, and now neither can get into the spot. The one says, "I don't back up for assholes." The other driver says, "I do", and backs out of the way to let him pull in.

Always take the high road. :)

2. ShirLit

ShirLit Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    Two
    Such a simple reply....says so much! Thanks for the laugh!

3. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well said.

Jeffrey Jessup likes this.
  4. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I find it's not just the freeways but most roads in general. Even on county/town roads where I might still be doing a couple miles over the posted limit there is always someone who decides to stay about 5 feet off my rear bumper. I just continue on my way and if they get to/want to pass when can then more power to them. Funny thing is the next car in front of me that they get behind they will give space to - so I just get me some consolation from looking at my mpg readout knowing it's at least twice what they are getting.

5. acceleraptor

acceleraptor Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Pretty sure it is Prius hate. I've driven the exact same way, speeds, and accelerations with my '94 Camry or minivan and never experienced the same level of instant "oh, I'm gonna show you, you stupid Prius driver" attitude on the road.

Of course, I catch up to 95% of them at the next traffic light and, having driven SUVs and multiple minivans (that get even worse mileage), I've a pretty good idea how much gas that is costing them all.. :cool:

6. JPTuck

JPTuck Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    The latest was surprisingly a Ford Escape hybrid in a section of city/rural traffic for about 35 miles. He was in some kind of hurry trying to push me along and weaving back and forth along the 2 lane section o f road. He arrived at the end only 1 car ahead of me and I smiled while looking at my mpg for that 35 miles- 75 -- about 50% better than the Prius C EPA estimate and I know his results were no where near the same.

acceleraptor likes this.
  7. Mark323

Mark323 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Had someone from PA side swipe my new car and then he ran. Gave plate to police, car is in shop now being fixed. HRC-6742 was the PA Tag No. Dark Blue Chevy Sedan.

8. Spock

Spock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    funny thread! if someone is aggressively tailing me on the freeway I'll just go down to 60 from my normal 65-70, and even down to 55 if they're really persistent ;) And I never move out of the way. It's honestly not safe to move first anyway when you're being tailgated since a fast car my try to instantly zoom past you - it's best to let them make the first move.

Another thing to consider: those high end sports cars that like to tailgate and cutoff have to be insured to cover that car. If a car is worth 100k, and hits you, let's say you happen to feel a tweak in your neck or back, you could get that whole damn deductible. So please, feel free to hit me if you wish. :ROFLMAO: I know someone that made a house down-payment after getting hit by an s550.

9. mahout

mahout Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, me too. I'm getting tired of picking Prius C parts out of my electric car bumper.

10. Spock

Spock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    so this just happened - tales from the PriC file! disclaimer - I don't advise anyone to mimic my behavior :p

driving back from lunch and I'm coming up on a red light. Dude in a Ford-whatever comes rushing up on me, obviously he's mad I didn't run the light so he could run it too. Already in my head I'm thinking "we got a live one!" :D As soon as it turns green I'm in no rush to accelerate and he's on my nice person. Due to his behavior I only go up to about 30 in a 45 zone and he's swerving behind me trying to look or possibly zoom past but I keep swerving with him. The whole time I'm hoping he has to follow me because I'm going towards a parking lot and can REALLY go slow. Just my luck! We're going the same way. Now I'm crawling in a single lane and he has no choice but to take it :ROFLMAO:.

Anyway, once he's free he zooms up a parallel lane and parks waiting to get a good look at me, since my windows are limo-ed out. I'm sure he's hoping it's a 100lb woman he could bully but nope, he's now in a stare down with an actual full grown man. :cool: he gives up his posturing and drives off without a word or gesture.

No doubt in my mind he saw "Prius" and thought it would be someone he could bully - that type of behavior is one of my pet peeves and these type of people must be put in line! :cool: anyway, thanks for listening (y)

mmmodem likes this.
  11. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    My advice to my daughter during Driver Ed:

Never run a red light that the person in front of you does not run.

Never stop for a red light that the person behind you isn't stopping for.

12. ztanos

ztanos All-around Geek!

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Good way to get shot... I agree with everything except you swerving the lanes with him.

13. DKTVAV

DKTVAV Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Agreed.

I posted somewhere in this forum my friend witnessed a gangster/killer/drug user ... came out of his car, walked back and pulled a gun killed a man in the car right in front of my friend just because of a horn. No matter how big you are or how fast you are the bullet still wins.

14. Mike Rosenzweig

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You have to be so careful when living in USA. This country has become so violent that it's embarrassing on a global scale. That being said, I try to be polite when I drive and patient as well.

SAMSUNG-SM-N900A ?

15. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    I wish I was a CHP officer. I'd set my cruise control to 55 in the right lane (official speed range on I5 is 40 to 65), and then just observe everybody's driving styles as they speed by. Tickets for reckless driving, improper passing, or aggressive driving would be flying all over the place. I've seen people pass me in the righthand gutter! It would be a 16-hour a day job.
    It bothers me how you are "dressing down" the original poster who did nothing wrong when the *other* driver almost caused an accident. Hmmm..... Did you do any lane-splitting while in California? If the cars were moving faster than 30 miles/hour, then you violated the law per the central CHP.

I didn't believe you until I googled & discovered you were correct. Unfortunately I also found this:

Wealthy Prius drivers can be huge jerks- MSN Money
    Prius drivers just as rude as BMW drivers? Study says so - DailyHerald.com
    BMW, Prius drivers have worse road manners - Autofocus.ca

#155 Troy Heagy, Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 12, 2014
    ztanos likes this.
  16. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife gets very nervous when I blow the horn at someone... she always plays the "what if he has a gun?" card.
    I always respond "then I'll tell him you leaned over and pressed the horn..." :p

Seriously, too much rage/mental disorder/access to guns nowadays to get into a pissing contest with another driver.
    That being said- I still give em the horn once the light turns green, they don't move and I see the driver's head looking down (obviously texting)... or as my wife would think- reloading his gun.

17. Troy Heagy

Troy Heagy Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Logic Fail. He said he thinks "most" of the jerk drivers are members of the NRA (based upon his observation). He never said "all" NRA members are jerks. I would have to say your lack of basic logic is "pretty ignorant". ;)

18. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ironically, there are valid reasons to use the horn, as a neutral heads-up of impending disaster, or to wake someone up when the light's gone green and they're still rooting around in the glove box. Sadly, too many even-tempered dispensed warnings are taken as a territorial challenge.

I do not know, as I get older for the most part I don't give a r*t's a** if someone "cuts me off". I'll continue to leave a decent interval in front, the buffer allows me to keep a more steady pace, stay off the brakes for the most part. If someone wants to move into that space, so be it. Sometimes they really do really need to, sometimes they don't. I don't differentiate. And with the latter, I don't get some sort of warped satisfaction if I happen to catch up with them at the next red light.

If someone's insisting on staying glued to my back bumper, after a while I'll hit the hazards and just carry on, no faster, no slower. If they persist, I'll shut off the hazards. If it goes on much longer I'll look for some way to get out of their way, when it's convenient. I don't try to rile them, there's no profit in it.

I'm just trying to get somewhere, in one piece, without stressing too much.

Fuu likes this.
  19. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You'd write about 16-20 tickets per 16-hour day, when you're not in court presenting your case for people who fight the ticket.
    Meanwhile......during the 15 hours that you're running registrations and writing the summons, listening to excuses, getting cussed/cried on and propositioned, and sweating your butt off underneath the vest....traffic would resume its normal abnormal pace.

After about 15,400 You-tube videos and calls to City Hall you would be suspended or promoted out of traffic.

There's a reason that the Chippies don't do what you're daydreaming about.
    I'll let you figure out what that might be. ;)

You shouldn't give other people the power to torque you off.
    That applies to to many things in life, as evidenced in this forum.
    The "ignore" function works quite well, and if you feel that I have acted in a manner that would warrant more official attention, you can always run crying to one of the moderators.

In case you were genuinely interested instead I never lane-split, and I could give a rats about how many laws I break as far as the Chippies are concerned.
    I try to drive as carefully and considerately as I can, and I have the clean driving record and low insurance rates to prove it.
    However (comma!)
    I neither drive nor post perfectly, so I don't have daydreams about 'getting even' with people or trying to make them conform to my idea of "good" .
    Maybe I spent too much time punching holes in the ocean and visiting warm sunny locales on the the Gov'Mint's dime, but I kinda figure life is too short to get your knickers in a knot over stupid crap. :D

If I genuinely offend, I offer genuine apologies.

Have a nice day! :)

#159 ETC(SS), Jun 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  20. Spock

Spock Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    Slamming your horn to another driver in L.A. is really something else, not even the guy I mentioned horned me. It's a call to arms - no matter what walk of life you're from it seems people are ready to fight to the death if you horn them in L.A. Not even if you went up to a stranger on the street and called him an A-hole to his face would he get as angry. :D Maybe it's like that elsewhere? People from out of town always bring it up to me - they're shocked how pissed people get here.