1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I never thought I'd own a Prius...

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by sweetbeats, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Brian in Tucson

Brian in Tucson Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, but a replacement pack would have a wrong serial number.It sounds to me like Toyota is very anal about these things.

sweetbeats and WHCSC like this.
  2. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If somebody purchased an OEM pack from the dealer & installed it that would not show in the owners portal.

sweetbeats likes this.
  3. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It shows on mine. it was done in late 2013 at Mitchell Toyota in San Angelo Texas. I wouldn't install one myself, that only gets me a 1 year warranty. And, MOST dealers won't sell packs to customers or indy shops.

10/4/13

ELECTRICAL
    CHECK VEH WILL NOT START-- VEH H AS BEEN SITTING FOR 8 MONTHS ~|~ ~|~

Parts

Name
    Part # QTY
    BATTERY ASSY, HV SUP G951047020 1
    PLUG ASSY, ELECTRIC G383047040 1
    CABLE, MAIN BATTERY G924247020 1
    CABLE, MAIN BATTERY G924247040 1
    CUSTOMER PAY

#23 Brian in Tucson, Feb 14, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2018
    sweetbeats likes this.
  4. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    @ericbecky purchases them quite regularly, for instance.

5. WHCSC

WHCSC Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Do we have any verification on what cells they are using in new packs? Are they Gen2, Gen3 or recently manufactured Gen1?

sweetbeats likes this.
  6. sweetbeats

sweetbeats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That price is from the invoice. No Toyota part number on the invoice which is suspect, and pulling the carpet cover off of the H/V battery reveals [drum roll please].....

Dropbox - File Feb 14, 10 31 31.jpeg

...a Dorman branded assembly.

Crap.

Well...it is what it is. I wouldn’t have taken the car to a non-Toyota servic center for the work, but they did and it just is what it is.

No warning indicators again on the drive to work this morning. It rained all night and was drizzling on the drive. I shoved some plastic grocery bags into cavity at the very rear-most passenger side corner of the trunk to mitigate moisture infiltration. It’s not pretty and not ideal but I checked when I arrived to work (13 miles, much of it at highway speeds) and the bags do prevent rain water from getting into the trunk space.

Raytheeagle, WHCSC and Prodigyplace like this.
  7. sweetbeats

sweetbeats Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So...I think my plan at this point is to keep on driving it...clean it up...inspect connections and address anything that appears less than spotless...keep my fingers crossed that the gross lack of use after both the H/V and secondary batteries were replaced has resulted in some instability the hybrid system didn’t like or didn’t know how to handle which threw the codes and requisite warning indicators. I think it’s important to note I believe both batteries were going bad at the same time. First my folks replaced the secondary battery. That addressed some things but not all. Then they replaced the H/V battery but the trunk was damp and moldy and the car would sit for long periods and was driven little...mostly in town driving. My Dad has said all along the warning indicators would go out sometimes, but then it seems to me the car would sit a bunch. Now that it is dry in the trunk and the car is being driven regularly the warnings are staying quiet. The H/V battery level indicator on the MFD always appears to have good charge capacity and I’m getting reasonable mileage.

By the way, a shout-out to ChapmanF for the links to the headlight aiming and dashboard finish panel removal threads...both extremely helpful. Your video on the finish panel rocks.

Thoughts?

Raytheeagle, Prodigyplace and WHCSC like this.
  8. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Unlike the 12 volt system, where the car's body serves as the − side of the circuit, the high-voltage system is designed to have both sides completely isolated from the body metal at all times. If you open your manual to the P3009 code, you'll see that the checks of the various possible leakage suspects (power cable, cables at transaxle, inverter assembly, components inside battery case, etc.) recommend a 500 volt megger tester and a reading of at least 10 MΩ to be considered good. The exception is the inverter itself, which is good as long as you read 0.9 MΩ or more. That's still nine times higher than the threshold for reporting a P3009 code, which doesn't happen until a reading hits 100 kΩ or lower. For all the other components besides the inverter itself, normal good readings are at least a hundred times higher than what it takes to trigger the code.

In other words, this is not a code that sets on a hair trigger, but only when isolation readings have deteriorated beyond an already large designed-in safety margin. Corollary: if you have a P3009 that's kind of coming and going depending on how soggy the weather is, it doesn't mean your stuff is kind of at the borderline of ok. It's more like kind of at the borderline of 1/100th of ok.

The battery ECU monitors that isolation all the time (when IG ON or READY) by superimposing a distinctive AC waveform over the DC from the battery, and watching for how much of it can be detected relative to chassis ground. Somebody (I forget exactly who, but Bob Wilson or hobbit would be the usual suspects) got some oscilloscope shots of the test signal in action.

Right, that's not terribly surprising. There's probably a track of some electrolyte or other gunk running between a high-voltage point and some nearby metal, and it conducts better when more damp. Drying the car out some has taken the reading from just slightly under a hundredth of what it should be, to just slightly over a hundredth of what it should be.

If the only problem is leakage, a Dorman branded assembly won't be any more trouble to clean up than an official Toyota one would. (It might be easier, because it probably won't have the hideous sealant that got applied to the early Gen 1 batteries, and probably will have nickel-plated bus bits ... I think that was part of Re-inVolt's process, and if I remember right, they were the outfit Dorman bought.)

Thanks!

-Chap

padroo likes this.
  9. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Thanks Chap.

My plan is not to keep cars so long that I have to get my money out of them. I like the one I have now but want to move up to either an advanced hybrid plug in or an electric. My wife is my biggest drawback.

HPrimeAdvanced likes this.
  10. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Maybe Not!:unsure:

At the end of last year Dorman changed their warranty from 3 years to twelve months. Your battery could still be under warranty.

Brad

Prodigyplace likes this.
  11. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :(:confused::eek::oops::rolleyes:o_O:cautious::censored::cry::sick:(n)

12. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four

My wife also takes care of all our cars. She always washes and waxes them and everyone gives me the credit.

13. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    He must have realized he posted that on Valentines Day. :ROFLMAO::p

14. Brian in Tucson

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't have a wife, so instead I bought a subscription to the local car wash chain. Wash, hot wax, wheel and undercarriage wash, and tire shine unlimited washes for a year. Smokin' deal for $30 a year. I think if I had a wife, I'd still buy the subscriptions. I wish I dared to run my Boxster thru the car wash!