1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

i noticed my FE dropped DRASTICALLY

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by redhandeddenial, Jul 25, 2008.

1. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    from 46mpg in town to 38 mpg.....i also noticed when braking the car would veer to the right. so i checked the tire and low and behold i picked up a effing screw.

so whats the consensus? should i take it to a shop to be patched? its towards the middle of the tread. ill see if i can get pics.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If the tire is still in good shape, take it to a tire shop and have it repaired properly.

Tom

3. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Exact same thing happened to me. TWICE!

Take it in, get it patched and forget about it.

4. redhandeddenial

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    my dad and i plugged that freaking thing today. it was a wee little furniture screw i think.

oh well. now i will need to get new tires sooner and can actually justify it with the wifey! ;)[​IMG]

5. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Personally, I plug tires myself. It's far easier than removing the tire. I've plugged motorcycle tires as well as high performance tires run on the Autobahn when I lived in Germany. I see no reason not to plug a tire, but some people consider it unsafe and not a real fix. I have never had a problem myself.

6. PA Prius

PA Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I plug as well. Just keep an eye on the psi.

Barry

7. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not sure what kind of plug you used. The advice is good. Watch your psi, as mentioned. The problem that can result from plugging a tire, without removing it from the rim, is that you cannot evaluate the damage to the inner liner, although in this case it should be O.K. Another is, if using a string plug, while you may seal the inner liner, you may not have completely waterproofed the hole through tread. If moisture can penetrate the string, it can work it way up into the tire between the inner liner and the tread. Winter weather, freezing/thawing, can play havoc with any moisture that gets into the string. That's why a solid plug inserted from the inside is recommended. That said! Have I used external string plugs? Yes, and without problems! But that doesn't mean it's as good or as safe. Just keep an eye on it, especially during and after any long, high-speed, high load trips, i.e., family if 4, luggage, above normal load. And, I'm sure everyone knows this, but just in case someone reading this thread is unaware, you never plug or patch a tire's shoulders or sidewalls, if the tire will be used on the road.

8. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    FWIW my experience over the past several decades in various vehicles is that when I start getting flats the tread is getting too thin anyway. If I try to continue running on them I notice the wet weather handling has deteriorated and the thin tread starts picking up screws, nails, and other debris at an increasing rate.

9. dwreed3rd

dwreed3rd New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    That's true, but the example looked like they picked up a screw that was probably setting straight up on it's head. We had a flat on our brand new Michelien MXV4's on our Avalon. Roofing nail. Big flat head, sits up nice and straight.