1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I now understand the limits of the Goodyear Integritys

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tideland Prius, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I now understand why some of you say the stock tyres are crappy. No, I didn't crash the car but VSC did engage. The road was damp from a rain shower and I was making a left turn. Didn't check the speed but it was over 20km/h (most likely). I was running the yellow (distance too short to brake before the line so I ran it) and the street was quite wide (3 lanes on both side plus boulevard). THe moment I turned left, I could hear the TRAC working as the car dipped and dive as the wheels braked. Finally, VSC engaged as the beep sounded and I managed to turn into the proper lane.

Yes, speed and damped conditions may be a factor but I didn't expect the tyres to give up so easily. That and the Prius really wants to keep you out of trouble. Not even a tyre squeal was heard.

2. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    [font=Comic Sans MS:47e22fbffa]Three words: Goodyear ComforTred tires.[/font:47e22fbffa]

3. Emilyjohn

Emilyjohn New Member

Tideland, are you sure the road surface wasn't oily? I enjoy taking curves and corners pretty fast and haven't yet experienced any problems with the stock tires in either wet or dry weather.

4. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ive actually taken a turn at 45 mph... happens when you've only got package 4 (aka no nav) and you're looking for a turn on the roads next to the highways

nothing happened... just was sad to push my car like that

5. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Don't take this the wrong way, but when I saw your subject my initial thought was, "what'd Tideland do to his car?"

6. tomdeimos

tomdeimos New Member

That's one of the things that got me to switch tires. My biggest problem on wet roads is on local on ramps that look like asphalt over buried bricks. Rear tires get airborne easily over each bump.

The second reason I changed was in deep puddles I found the tires hydroplaned easier than anything I've had before, other than completely worn out tires.

Third reason was I can't handle the bumpy ride with the high tire pressure. My new tires I can use extra pressure for mileage, and still get a better ride than the Integrity tires at Toyota pressure. Much quieter too.

7. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for the response guys. A corner isn't the same as a left turn. My left turn was basically a 90° turn while a corner can be 10-50°. It wasn't a sweeping left turn to put it in other words. It was possible that oil could be present but it rained overnight and that morning had a few showers.

Bill, I would switch except my tyres already have 13,000kms on it. Who'd buy tyres with 13,000kms? I've tried looking for ComforTreds to replace the Camry's tyres but no one around here sell them. Is it only available in the US or did I just have bad timing?

Tony, hence I wrote that line you quoted ;) hehe.

8. Frank Hudon

Frank Hudon Senior Member

so you found the limit. I'll change the tires on the wife's 2k4 probably this fall, before the monsoons set in. There is one spot on Boundary Road that kicks in the trac and will shurly get her hit one day. I'm thinking of HydroEdge for our wetter climate. Like the 1" of rain we got in 45 minutes yesterday afternoon. And yes I parked in the far corner of the mall parking lot.

9. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yep. Never thought I would in any car as I'm not the aggressive type but apparently I did. Haha, Boundary. I assume you mean the hill down from 49th/Imperial to SW Marine?

HydroEdge is a unidirectional tyre. I didn't realise that until an STS with a set of those parked next to me. Does it wear out faster? I was thinking either the HydroEdge or maybe the MXM4 for the Camry. It's in dire need of replacement and I hope my dad can get it replaced before winter arrives.

10. jamarimutt

jamarimutt New Member

The stock tires are fine for me, no problems at all at 22,000 miles.

11. Frank Hudon

not the hill but merging on at Douglas Rd. up by Hastings there is a water main cover right at the apex of the turn, they are about 10" square and it's in a very slight dip and always has a bit of sand in it as well and with the rain it'll set the trac and the car literally dies for a moment, just long enough to scare the life out of you as your trying to merge into the traffic that is going 45-50 mph on that section. I know that the HydroEdge is uni and the design is for wet roads and with global warming bringing us almost continual rain probably the best choice. But I have considered the MXM4 but like the HE tread pattern better for the wet. What I'd really like is to drive a Prius with HE on it get a feel for them. But that'll probably never happen.

12. Frank Hudon

Tideland said exactly the same thing up until yesterday.

13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ohh I see. Yep, happens to me on railway tracks.

Yep. guilty as charged.

14. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Frank:

Geez that must be what is happening to Winnipeg and surrounding area. Did I mention we've been absolutely soaked with rain the past month?

So far my Michelin Harmony tires work well on wet roads. Naturally, if I have to drive through a flooded intersection with 1 ft of water, then I creep along.

Jay

15. Frank Hudon

where's the challange in that?

16. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    HAHA I see your point.

I suppose if a sinkhole forms I'll find out quickly if the Prius can double as an Emergency Flotation Device.

17. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    hey Tide?

what do you keep your air pressure at? also how many miles on this set of tires?

i "thought" i tested my tires thoroughly last winter for wet weather driving and was very satisfied over most conditions. i was going 42/38 which has been my standard difference front to rear for winter (i do 42/40 in summer)

just wondering if handling is that different after the tires are worn a bit. im at 15k now so should be in the 18-20 range by winter.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Air pressure is 35 front, 34 rear. There's 13,200kms on the tyres as of today.

19. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    there is recommended difference of +2 lbs for the rear for tire pressure. i think it has to do with trying to control understeer. you might want to increase the front a bit.

20. Frank Hudon

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jayman\";p=\"106269)</div>
    ifin yur goin fast enough them sinkhole is no problem. I dun see tham swamp boats with wheels do it so why can't you?