1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I officially hate my prius and toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BROOK SIDE, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My woes with my 2007 prius continue... (note I have proudly owned this vehicle since new) I posted about this last year and have had no resolution, and it continues to worsen...

My mileage has continued its nose dive - I now get below 30 mpg from my previous average of 58mpg . The dealer was totally useless.. all they did was pump up my tires (like I hadn't tried that). The dealer says that there are no error codes being created even though the MFD clearly displays the dismal economy and it's reflected in my now frequent fill ups at the pump. According to the dealer Toyota simply doesnt care and apparently nothing is covered by my 8 year extended warranty I shelled out for when I bought the car.

The engine runs ALL The time. even when the battery is charged, in full green and I am coasting the engine is running and the MFD shows a draw (in Canada here) of 3.7 - 8.0 l/100kms) continuous. I have photos of this and will post them when I have time.

To stick the knife further into a loyal customer's back and twist it, the car sprung an enormous water leak in the back hatch, soaking the side curtain airbags and filling the spare tire area... guess what.... again NOT covered under warranty. I just spent the last 2 weeks driving around with the whole rear interior removed drying it out, and putting a space heater in at night. I had to fix the leak myself (hopefully I have found it - appears as though the chassis is simply a piece of crap and none of the seems are welded properly around the hatch... but hey... again not covered by the warranty)

Basically the car is broken. I have about 4 years left on an expensive warranty that Toyota won't honor... crappy mileage and a moldy, smelly car.

I really cant believe it but I honestly hate the car. I wish I never bought i. I hate toyota and I have NEVER been treated so poorly by a car company. NEVER. I have owned countless vehicles, from Japanese to Euro to made in America... all of them stood behind their products but Toyota takes the cake.

No wonder I see them in the news all the time being roasted... I can now see why.

Anyone want to buy my car from me?

OR PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE FIND ME SOMEONE TO HONOR THE WARRANTY AND FIX IT.

- desperate for help in Vancouver BC.

-thanks... I wish I could say I feel better after typing that, but it just makes me sad :(

PS... yes I followed all the mileage tips here and even shelled out for the optima battery. Not the problem. Car is broken, plain and simple.

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    If you want fuel economy help, please answer the questions at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...-answer-these-questions-esp-if-youre-new.html. May as well answer in this thread.

The weather is colder now, so you will experience some mileage hit.

The ICE will run to provide cabin heat if the ICE is cold and you're demanding heat. What if you turn the HVAC totally to OFF (fan to OFF, no auto)? The ICE should be able to shutdown around FWT (Fahrenheit Water Temp) of ~110 F or so or ~43 C. I'm guessing you have no means of monitoring.

I've discussed heater and ICE on/off at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-iii...r-in-history-in-winter-13.html#post1249210and many other posts before. If FWT is <146 F, and heat is set to I can get the ICE to turn on/off, at will by merely turning the HVAV fan on/off.

As for water leak, I haven't seen the terms of your warranty so I can't say anything about whether it should be covered or not.

There are several Canadians here on PC. I don't know where in Canada you are.

1 person likes this.
  3. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Aside from oil changes, the leak fix and the Optima battery, what services have you had performed?

4. don_chuwish

don_chuwish Well Seasoned Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You really need to see a different dealer in my opinion. Don't even go into the history with the first dealer, just tell them your problems and ask for their help. Getting someone with the right skills interested in solving your problem is key. So far either they don't have the skills or aren't interested.

- D

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    For the mileage complaints, we still need more info from the OP. Answers to the questionnaire will shed some light as to whether things are normal, given the OP's drives, conditions, car condition, etc.

6. toyolover

toyolover Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    When you say the gas mileage dropped to 30 mpg, is this the figure showing in the MFD or by your actual calculation between fill ups?
    There are so many Prius taxi in Vancouver. Can you ask there they do they have it fixed? I have a feeling that those cab drivers may know of the best place for repair other than the dealer you are dealing with now.
    Good luck.

7. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

Look.... I live in Vancouver (said so in the post) and the temp. is well above freezing. As I mentioned earlier, the problems began a year ago and has been an issue regardless of the season.. basically this car hit about 48,000kms and that was it.. the mileage tanked instantly - the mileage issue is NOT weather related. In fact there appears to be no correlation to specifically why the engine runs almost all of the time...

I've attached an example photo I snapped with my iphone while driving - car is warmed up and after 15 mins of driving, coasting down the street foot off the gas and engine is running full blast 12.5 l/100kms draw on it.

I do recall there being a post here years ago that explained the various states of ICE and the hybrid drivetrain... it seems to me (as a layman) that the car is "stuck" in one of them all the time or simply not switching to EV mode as it should

as for the leaking it appears as though in the factory they shoved some sort of putty in the the very poorly welded seems and plate joints underneath the weather strip that surrounds the hatchback. It appears as though that putty has completely dissolved - must have hit the same "48,000km" wall the engine did. I bought some new putty ("dum dum strips" if anyone else has this problem and packed it in all the cracks. Waiting of it to rain to confirm it is all good but it did pass the test with the garden hose.

Attached Files:

8. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

As mentioned it's the avg on the MFD and I've been resetting it and keeping track every fillup since I bought the car new. I know for a fact it's correctly displaying the crappy economy because I used to get min 700kms to the flashing pip and now I get 378kms to the flashing pip. Basically the mileage is halved.

FYI taxi drivers here simply go to the dealer.. I tried that approach.

Now I'm at my last resort before trading the car in on some other brand and that's throwing myself and my car on the mercy and knowledge of this site.... maybe there's a toyota canada employee here that can help?

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Whoops... sorry. I originally even posted BC in my reply but then noted your location was Canada and thus removed my mention of Vancouver. :redface: There are at least one or two Priuschatters in BC.

12.5 l/100 km would = ~18.8 miles per US gallon and yes, I'd call that unusual for coasting. But, that's far outside the range that you were saying earlier.

I believe some symptoms of a failing HV battery are ICE running a lot and also the battery fan (intake vent in the back seat area) running at full.

Again, please fill out the questionnaire so we have more to go on. I noted in one of your old posts that you stated "even thought the MFD does not show the engine to be running,". There is NO ICE on/off indication on the MFD. One way to tell is via a tachometer. ScanGauge includes one. (Until I got my ScanGuage, I discovered I was sometimes wrong about whether the ICE was running or not, when not stationary.)

Yes, I'm familiar w/the 5 stages doc as mentioned at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...angauge-best-threads-mileage-improvement.html. I can easily see when I'm past stage 1a by the ignition timing change.

As a side note, the guy at http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ng/89063-help-nearly-no-heat.html#post1250695 had trouble w/his ICE getting above 145F. It turned out that he had an air bubble in his cooling system. I later hypothesized that perhaps some people complaining of poor mileage might have this same issue. But, alas, the Prius doesn't come with a temp gauge nor a ICE cold/too cold light, so it could be happening silently.

10. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

sorry... where is the questionnaire?

11. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  12. ystasino

ystasino Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

13. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Could your one problem be connected to the other?

You "notice" the failure and the sudden springing of a leak in your back hatch area, once the seals totally failed. But I wonder if you haven't had a growing leak, or a serious but subtle problem perhaps for a long time.

Water in the back of a Prius is NOT a good thing.

In anycase, problems CAN be solved. But from what you are saying about the support you DON'T seem to be getting from your dealer I commiserate.

Good Luck. As already suggested, you might try another dealership. How could it hurt since evidently the one you are going with now....is not helpful.

14. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'd replace the 12V battery.

...right after replacing the dealer, of course.

2 people like this.
  15. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Actually you cant say anything about this without knowing the speed. If the engine is not cutting off and essentially just idling (idle fuel usage is approx 0.85 L./hr), then the expected L/100k is equal (0.85 divide speed) * 100. So if the speed was only 7 km/hr then the fuel consumption rate is largely what you'd expect.

As to the question of whether the engine was running "Full Blast" as the OP described it, or if it was merely idling, I'd assume it was merely idling but with the speed very low unless more evidence was shown to the contrary.

Ok so 378km is the distance, are you also measuring the number of liters?

BTW Brookside. I'm not asking you these question because I don't believe you. I do believe you are getting crap fuel efficiency. It just helps to have all the information.

16. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow!
    I'm really sorry that this is happening to you... You must have gotten a freak Prius!
    I've never heard of this issue but all I can think of is..possibly a new 12v battery like Rae_Vynn said, or HV battery...Or the fan!

17. That_Prius_Car

That_Prius_Car Austin Kinser

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I'm going to quote what i said to a fellow PriusChatter today, but here's something to definitely check out.

One thing I would definitely look into is looking at your battery cooling fan.
    The HV battery fan isn't even on Toyota's service menu, but what can happen is, you know in rear seat on the passenger side right beside the door is a vent. That vent as you probably already know, draws in air to cool the battery when it gets hot. Well, the fan that spins is a duct fan which can clog over time with hair, dust, dirt, and debris causing the battery to overheat and age more quickly and eventually go bad. I'd deffinetly have it checked out, or you can even do it yourself! It's very simple, I've used these instructions and looked at my fan too.

The symptoms of an over-heating battery is the engine running all the time, reduced MPG and performance.

--> Here's a link for you if you want to try and see if the battery overheating due to a clogged fan is the case. There is a PDF file that you will see, click it and check it out. It gives very specific directions on how to do this procedure.

Battery Fan Cleaning

1 person likes this.
  18. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The "issue" may actually be a combination of smaller issues so that's why as much info as possible is needed from the OP.

Let's look at the issue of engine running excessively first up. Brookside can you let us know what happens if the car is fully warmed up and you come to a stop, with your foot on the brake pedal and the car remaining in "D". (with auto AC and fan off).

1. Does the car continue to idle for about 7 seconds and then cut off or does it just continue to idle?

2. If the engine does cut-off in the above test then immediately continue to drive. In this state does the car still keep the engine running when you're coasting. (again, auto AC and fan off during this test).

Please test the above and let us know the results.

19. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dont know about you al guys but it seems a bit odd that there are al those complain topics opening??

20. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a few suggestions that you might try:

1. When you replaced the 12V battery, did you apply an auxiliary source of power (in an effort to keep radio presets, etc.) or did you allow the car to power down? If you used an auxiliary source of power, I suggest that you try disconnecting the 12V battery negative cable where it connects to the body for 5 minutes, then reconnect. The point of that is to allow all ECUs to power down, then reboot.

2. If you still have trouble with the gasoline engine running at all times after trying #1 above, then I suggest that you visit another Toyota dealer. Explain that the car doesn't produce any warning lights or DTC, yet the gasoline engine will not shut down. As a result your fuel consumption is 2x the levels that you had previously experienced.

- Ask that the tech verify that engine coolant is reaching normal operating temp of ~82 degrees C.

- If no problem is found with the engine coolant system (such as an engine coolant thermostat stuck in the open position), then ask for the hybrid vehicle ECU and engine ECU to be reflashed with the latest firmware applicable to your model year. Maybe the HV ECU firmware became corrupted. The HV ECU is responsible for telling the engine ECU when to turn on and turn off the gasoline engine, how much power the engine should produce when on, etc.

3. Your rear hatch leak is very interesting to hear about. If the car had not previously been in an accident to provoke that leak, I am really surprised that such a major leak happened. Was the car parked on a downhill slope? Are you sure that the hatch rubber seal is intact?

Good luck.

OP says that the 12V battery was replaced.

3 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.