1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I officially hate my prius and toyota

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BROOK SIDE, Feb 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Why are you so evasive on this? If you told us what it read after being left overnight or say 8+ hours and it was "within spec", then we would rule it out as a problem.

You already got 75% of the way to checking the 12 volt's voltage via the MFD.

2. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Ok, I think the best thing Brook could do is follow don_chuwish's advice above and find a dealer to visit. I hate to say this but for the rest of us I think we are :deadhorse:

1 person likes this.
  3. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am still waiting to hear from the prius mechanics members said lurked here

4. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Everyone!
    Let him sell/trade the thing in. Someone will buy it, put in a thermostat, temp sensor or battery and be happy as a clam. 142 posts back and forth. Unreal.

5. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    ..and several have asked you questions that you've refused to answer. Flat out refused.

So, they should help you more -- why?

1 person likes this.
  6. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sorry but apparently you can't read - I've answered every question and even filled out the redundant questionnaire. Only a few have offered real technical clues - ie reflash the ecu and check the thermostat. Beyond that the much of rest has been basically anecdotal advice from armchair quarterbacks who are clearly not mechanics asking me to pursue anecdotal remedies that I have already tried. Clearly since the anecdotal fixes like the battery and the sensor in the throttle body did not solve the problem there is something else wrong with the vehicle that requires attention from a real mechanic who deals with this sort of issue all the time.

Btw the most reasonable explanation would be that the hybrid battery is failing, and logically Toyota is doing everything in their power to avoid having to address that costly component.

7. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    First of refrain from insulting the members here who are trying to help you. Problem with your logic Brook is you've gone to mechanics and they've basically said sucks to be you. You've came here looking for advice and have gotten several bits of advice yet you still feel the members of this forum haven't helped you at all. I suggesd once again that you put down your Iphone and go to another dealership and hold them at gun point until they tell you something you want to hear. There is no way in hell Toyota would replace a HV bat unless it was throwing codes.

8. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Clearly you haven't read what ive posted either - I am going to another dealer already . And apparently you can't grasp how unbelievably insulting it is to have certain members parrot the same pap over and over trying to get me to repeat something that's already been tested and eliminated as the cause of the problem. I'm not your puppet to dance on a string on the Internet where you can get me to try mindless tests.

9. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You certainly have a knack of choosing words that denigrate others, and generally tick them off. Good luck.

10. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

they're being chosen carefully. I dont appreciated being trolled for 13 pages.

11. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    :wave::wave::wave::wave::
    Dear TROLL SIDE,
    Good luck. I'll be surprised if you get much more from all the stupid dummies on this forum. Good bye.

12. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    First off you go to a public place and ask for help, you will get help. Don't piss off the free help.

Every suggestion has been ignored. You went to one other dealership of the 6 in the immediate surrounding area from where you are. If you are actually an engineer then you should know that new things don't always work. They can be marginal or just DOA. The purpose of a diagnosis to to rule out all other possibilities. If you cut yourself and it hurts, I think you would appreciate the doctor looking at your cut rather than suggesting it is obviously a neuron disorder and we need to remove part of your brain to dull the pain.

I have seen brand new batteries be dead from the factory. The Prius doesnt "crank" like a normal car, so a dead/marginal battery can look fine unless you actually test it.

And your last statement of it probably being the hybrid battery failing is a load of crock. That is the LEAST likely scenario. If your battery was failing you would get wild and fast swings of the SOC with normal driving. Once it filled up (and quickly) the HV ECU would be happy and command the engine off. Then after you go and it quickly drained down to nothing, the HV ECU would start the engine back up to charge it again. This is not happening from the symptoms you provide.

If you want the help of the experts on here that in most cases know as much if not more about the Prius than the original engineers that designed the damn thing, then just shut up and follow directions. Stop being defensive and evasive. Stop putting off the experts on here and then calling them back in.

If you are really ready to do anything like you suggested above, then get in your car and drive to the nearest dealer that has a Prius tech and a techstream and get the ECUs flashed. Call right now, see if they have the equiptment, make an appointment for a couple minutes from now, and go.

5 people like this.
  13. mike lipke

mike lipke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    TROLL SIDE:

You have not chosen carefully, you have pretty much ticked off everyone. Very unusual for this forum. Take your Prius and do whatever you want with it. Bye now.

14. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Then stop posting and just go away.

1 person likes this.
  15. BROOK SIDE

BROOK SIDE New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm not sure where you get that from. NONE of the suggestions have been ignored right down to me actually buying an optima battery and supporting a site sponsor buying the kit, replacing my stick battery that was in good working condition in the hopes that it would miraculously solve the problem

This counters what most people with similar experiences both online and in person I have spoken with have had

you may be taking that statement a little far. and I'm not going to keep buying optima batteries over and over for no reason because that appears to be the depth of your expertise.

again, clearly you havent read my posts. I stated more than once that I have contacted another dealership who state they have a mechanic who specializes in the prius and when he's available, I'm first up.

I'd like to thank the few members (tideland, patrick, electric me etc) who have contributed with some valuable advice... I will definitely be taking your suggestions along with me when I take the tech for a test drive to try to narrow down the problem.

As for the rest of you who have treated this topic as your personal playground - I spent a lot of my family's money to buy this as well as to support the environment. I really dont appreciate the bashing and general rude behavior from you .

Wanted you to know that.

16. snead_c

snead_c Jam Ma's Car

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Summary:cool:
    Reflash
    12v Battery check (and connections)
    Coolant thermostat
    Demo time in Prius with a qualified tech
    Good Luck :rockon:

1 person likes this.
  17. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    +1
    No, you've chosen to ignore many of the questions and tests asked by others and myself. Others were finally heeded after multiple requests. For instance, you never told us the 12 volt battery voltage even though you got 75% of the way to viewing it. I had to ask you repeatedly whether your commute had changed. We asked you many times to fill out the questionnaire before you finally did.

I've pointed out what I've heard are common symptoms of a failing HV battery. You might have some of them (like ICE running all the time). Others are the HV battery fan running at high speed and the SoC on the MFD taking big swings between empty/full in a short period of time.

As with all mileage complaints, we have been trying to identify and rule out causes such as short trip length, commute, driving habits, common problems we've encountered (and common fixes), etc. Again, I really wish someone near you could loan you a ScanGauge to observe coolant temps and whether the ICE reaching the proper temp.

18. andyprius

andyprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Hello BROOKSIDE, I skipped pages 5-15, too repetitious. However I sympathize with your plight and hope you get the mileage problem solved. I only have ONE question: as Patrick suggested, did you ever reboot???? :mad: about your problems.= (Mad about your problems)

19. Ryanpl

Ryanpl Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Since you claim to be a licensed electrician have you checked the voltage on your traction battery to see what those volts are? I do not know the normal voltage but someone here would.

20. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Back in my mechanic-ing days I would have checked the temperature sender responsible for telling the ECU the coolant temperature as well as the actual temperature of the coolant, but I don't work as a mechanic any more.

Patrick Wong might know if there is a voltage spec or something for the temp sender. We have an electrician who must own a multimeter at the other end of the line, who knows what we might find.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.