1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I ordered an eco TWO, my buying experience

Discussion in 'Dealers & Pricing' started by fsu23phd, Jan 15, 2016.

Tags:
  1. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    So I had my name in with three dealers in my area. The Wilmington NC one called me this morning with a Package 4 touring available. We went in and test drove it.

I told the guy that I wanted a TWO eco, Sea Glass Pearl/Beige. He found one, but it had 2 options that I didn't want (Floor matts, and a wires package that cost $69). It should arrive Feb 1 (about 2 weeks from now).

I asked him to reduce the MSRP by the price of those options, and he agreed.

He came back with the cost printouts, and there was a $649 documentation fee.

I asked if that was something that they pay, or if it went to the dealership. He said that it goes to the dealership, and that they have to legally include it. That doesn't make sense to me (with my Ph.D. from a top 40 business school...). So I asked him to reduce the MSRP by that much and he refused. We had been there for about 2 hours by then, so I suggested to my wife that we go to lunch and contact other dealers about their documentation fees. I asked if I could take the printout with me, and he said no.

We walked away and had lunch.

A "manager" called as we were on the way home, and I recapped what happened. He offered to not only reduce MSRP by the cost of the unwanted accessories, but also by the dealer fee. He insisted that the dealler fee had to stay there. Here is the e-mail that I got from him:

Dr. Furner

Msrp $25943.00

Discount $1017.00

Selling price $24926.00

Tax $767.25

Tag $97.30

Dealer admin $649.00

Total price $26439.55

The discount includes the items we spoke about, this is the sea glass pearl with harvest beige fabric

Prius TWO ECO.

------
    I put down $5K on a credit card. Here is hoping that there is no funny business... I am sure that the number I saw included the 895 delivery/processing fee. Anyway, I will let you know what happens from here.

Blizzard_Persona and bisco like this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    great write up, thanks! what are 'wires', phone charging?

fsu23phd likes this.
  3. Blizzard_Persona

Blizzard_Persona Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Congrats!! Eagerly awaiting your review and first impressions :)

4. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, it includes a few iPhone wires (I use android) and two cigarette lighter to USB charger cables. The Washington NC dealer wanted 190 for the same package. Junk. :)

bisco likes this.
  5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    thanks, that does seem silly.

6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Pure BS. Everything is negotiable.

sdtundra and fsu23phd like this.
  7. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Good luck with the local Toyota dealership. When I bought my car back in 2009 I was turned off by their sales staff BS and found my car in Fayetteville.

I used them for some service at first and still use their parts department. I have no problem with these two departments.

I just do not like their sales staff culture, though.

fsu23phd likes this.
  8. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Ah, so you tried to buy from Wilmington too? Did you encounter any issues that you care to share? I just want to make sure I am not missing anything. Thanks!

9. BigFan

BigFan Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FYI, in NJ the Documentation Fee is $349. So this charge is not unique to NC. Although the $300 differnce suggests NC requires a lot more documentation!

10. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The times were different in that I bought mine during the Cash for Clunkers campaign and Prii were hard to find. I wanted a Winter Gray color and they had one in the pipeline so I put a deposit down. Somehow this car got taken and when I went to check out the car it was Silver Gray. When I declined to accept the car I was told I would lose my deposit. The deposit clearly indicated a Winter Gray color and I told them I was in no hurry and when they had a Winter Gray on the lot I would accept it.

Since they did not have that color in their pipeline they attempted to force me to accept the Silver Gray, especially since they had brought the car from another dealership. When I refused they finally returned my deposit and I went to Fayetteville and bought the car I wanted. The interesting thing is both dealerships were owned by Rick Hendrick.

My encounter does not help you now but from what I have seen the sales culture has not changed. The Fayetteville store was 180 degrees in culture and professionalism.

fsu23phd likes this.
  11. sillylilwabbit

sillylilwabbit Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ^^

That is why I hate salesman. (No offense to anyone is who is a salesman of course)

I bought my car through Carmax, and if I remember correctly, documentation fee is $80 there.

iPhone ?

fsu23phd likes this.
  12. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Surprised you were surprised by the dealer paperwork fee.
    Bet it won't happen again.
    If it were medical it would be 40%

13. Caniac

Caniac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    The document fee on my purchase last month in PA was $134.

I lived in NC for about 10 years and bought several cars but at the time didn't pay any attention to the details. $649 seems slimy to me.

fsu23phd likes this.
  14. fsu23phd

fsu23phd Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I am convinced that they inflated that because I had the price of the carpet floormats and the wire package taken off. The lesson here folks, don't be afraid to walk away.

Elsith likes this.