1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I ordered my Apple Watch

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by SPEEDEAMON, Apr 11, 2015.

1. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Big deal, who cares? But as an Apple fan from the beginning I had to have this. I don't consider the Apple Watch as a watch but an extension of the iPhone. That's why I ordered the Watch Sport in 42mm space grey with black band because its got a bigger screen. It still cost me $399 plus $49 for the Apple Care and with tax a total of $490.56. I look forward to seeing how it works for me. It will be convenient to just look at my wrist for messages and calendar. I've been waiting for this since Dick Tracy's Two-Way Wrist Radio.
    Anybody buy the 18k Edition model?

2. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I think it's fine.
    But I also think you are correct to define it as not really a "watch" but a computer tool you happen to strap to your wrist.

I wouldn't want one.
    I'm an old fashioned purist in this regard. I still wear a REAL watch. It's not as antique as to wind up, but it's mechanical. I've worn it for so many years I can't imagine NOT wearing it.

Real watches? I'm afraid they are a dying concept. When I was a kid? I wanted a watch. One Christmas I received a "real" watch as a gift and it seemed so great to be part of the grown up fraternity of a "watch wearer".
    Today? My 9 year old nephew wonders why I bother to strap on a watch every day. Doesn't my cell phone, smart phone, tablet...all have the time on them? Why do I want some piece of metal on my wrist that is so archaic as to ONLY tell the time, and possibly if I squint the date?

And I think that IS the future.

So if the "Apple Watch" can in any way salvage or keep alive the tradition in any form, even if REALLY much more than just a watch? I guess I have to support it. Because I'm NOT going to win this generation over with my quartz, dial, minute hand technology.

3. SPEEDEAMON

SPEEDEAMON Professional Car Nut

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I agree. The watches I like are mechanical.
    This is my favorite watch, a vintage 1966 Heuer Carrera chronograph
    upload_2015-4-10_23-48-38.jpeg

4. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've got to tell one more story, then I'll leave this thread in peace.

I was just about to start 7th grade. And my Mother surprised me by buying me a watch I wanted.
    This "watch" was a mid 70's marvel...the "Apple Watch" of it's primitive day.
    Seriously, I should of known that someday I'd be driving a Prius, because this watch was "Big Bang Theory" nerd material. It really was hilarious but to the 7th grade me? It was great.
    I can't even remember all it did or attempted to do. It had a calculator function. But more strangely stop watch functions, timer function and more than one "Musical" tone alarms. I think you could make it play "Charge!" and/or "Fur Elise". Keep in mind this is during a time when nobody had cell phones with personalized ring tones. The ability to walk into a room and make a beep tone version of Charge! spring forth from your wrist was somewhat unique. In hushed environment "Fur Elise" was near scandalous. I don't know what happened to it. I wish today I still had it. I didn't get too much time to enjoy it, as 7th grade was when I started to take closer notice of what girls thought was "cool", and peer pressure was strong enough to make me abandon this wonderful gift clearly before 8th grade, and well hidden by high school. Strangely the girls I liked, were not impressed by being able to do simple math from my wrist and the ability to offer a Beethoven concert in disconcerting beep tone quality. It's debatable as to whether I was hanging with the right crowd or the wrong crowd.

My mother seemed to know I liked watches and she would often find me unique ones. The other watch I really wish I still had today, was somehow at a garage sale or other outlet, my mother found a electronic watch given away at the premier of the movie Zulu Dawn. It wasn't made to be quality, but it worked. And the neat thing about it? Was that in the LCD window it said, "It's Coming! Zulu Dawn!". I think it cycled about every 3 seconds from promotional message to "time" but the "Time" part was really an afterthought.

Many, many adult years later a long running personal inside joke between my mother and me was when she would ask me what time it was I would respond..."About 3 seconds to Zulu Dawn".

Nobody around us had any idea what I was talking about. But my mother would respond..." I hear it's coming...".

I have to hope "Watches" continue to exist, in whatever form they adapt and evolve. Computer/Smart Phone accessory or otherwise. They still sell them, they still exist. But I'm am afraid, since my 9 year old nephew looks upon them with such disdain. Asking him if he wanted a watch was taken as nearly an insult.

I'm afraid he'll never be 1/2 the nerd I was when I was his age, nor perhaps will he ever be as cool as I am now.

ftl likes this.
  5. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I've heard that it won't keep a charge for an entire day. Is this true? I can see this being a potential show stopper for many.

6. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Apple - Apple Watch - Battery

General Battery Information

Apple Watch is so capable you’ll want to wear it all day long. So we made sure we gave it a battery that lasts all day, too. Our goal for battery life was 18 hours after an overnight charge, factoring in things like checking the time, receiving notifications, using apps, and doing a 30-minute workout. And because everyone will use Apple Watch differently, we tested several other metrics as well.

Apple Watch battery testing was conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an Turn off signatures in Tapatalk preproduction software. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

All-Day Battery Life
    Up to 18 hours
    Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an Turn off signatures in Tapatalk preproduction software. All-day battery life is based on 18 hours with the following use: 90 time checks, 90 notifications, 45 minutes of app use, and a 30-minute workout with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth, over the course of 18 hours. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Talk Time Test
    Up to 3 hours
    Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an Turn off signatures in Tapatalk preproduction software with a call placed from Apple Watch. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Audio Playback Test
    Up to 6.5 hours
    Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an Turn off signatures in Tapatalk preproduction software with music playback from Apple Watch via Bluetooth. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Workout Test
    Up to 6.5 hours
    Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an Turn off signatures in Tapatalk preproduction software with a workout session active and the heart rate sensor on. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Watch Test
    Up to 48 hours
    Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an Turn off signatures in Tapatalk preproduction software with 5 time checks (4 seconds each) per hour. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Power Reserve
    Up to 72 hours
    If your battery gets too low, Apple Watch automatically switches into Power Reserve mode so you can continue to see the time for up to 72 hours. Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software with 4 time checks (4 seconds each) per hour. Battery life varies by use, configuration, and many other factors; actual results will vary.

Charge Time
    About 1.5 hours to 80%
    About 2.5 hours to 100%

Testing conducted by Apple in March 2015 using preproduction Apple Watch and software paired with an Turn off signatures in Tapatalk preproduction software. Charge times are from 0% to 80% and from 0% to 100% using the included MagSafe inductive charger. Charge time varies with environmental factors; actual results will vary.

Apple Watch battery performance claims are based on test results from the 38mm Apple Watch. A 42mm Apple Watch typically experiences longer battery life.

7. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    Look cool. But the price is too much. I am sticking with my Omega Seamaster.

8. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yet another thing a person has to plug in everyday. Oh, the horror.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've got the iPhone, posting with it, but still: I'm partial to one of these for wristwatch.

image.jpg

I've got a watch and a smart phone. Digging my smart phone out every time I want to know the time doesn't cut it: the other day I misplaced my watch, and I was missing it. But a $20 Casio digital works for me.

apt5020 likes this.
  10. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Doesn't work with my iPhone 4s. :cry: Why Apple? Why have you forsaken me?

11. apt5020

apt5020 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Five
    Did you upgrade to IOS 8.3? I saw an update the other day.

12. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Yeah, everyone with a 4S, 5 or 5C on iOS 8 should update. It makes everything smoother and faster. It's not quite as fast as iOS 7 still but I'm not complaining. I remember waiting up to 2 seconds to load up the dialer to make a call. Now it is back to instant. Don't update yet if you have a 5S or 6. Heard there are touch ID problems and the speed increase is negligible on already fast phones.

And yeah, no Apple Watch support on a 4s. Makes sense. If I'm using a $100 phone, I'm not likely to purchase a $350 watch.

13. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Problems for me. Only 18 hour charge time. Needs phone to act properly as a sports watch. My garmin watch is huge compared to this but at least it is functional. Put me down for next gen watch though, if they get more watch battery life (I'm in a foreign counry and can't plug-in and my phone is dead, leave me with at least a gps watch) and sports and music functionality without a phone close by.

14. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh my god!
    Or to save time...OMG!

2 full seconds?

15. mmmodem

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I know, right? 2 whole seconds! That's like forever! I could've blinked my eye almost 3 times.

Paradox likes this.
  16. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    having worked on UI, 1 second is way too long for most people before they get irritated. On a non smart phone, phone is always ready. 1 second is a long time versus right now ;-) In the 1980s it would have probably been acceptable.

mmmodem, Trollbait and Paradox like this.
  17. Sergiospl

Sergiospl Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I would prefer to pull the phone out of my pocket instead of having to charge one more device daily!

Except of course, charging a plug-in car.

18. KennyGS

KennyGS Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I can't see having a phone and a watch, but maybe that will change. I'll wait for now.

19. The Electric Me

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL! really?

One Second is "Way Too Long" for most people?

I concede I'm old school...maybe "old world" in many avenues. But...

When "One Second" becomes the time marker for onset of irritation or frustration? Then I don't think the problem is with the technology. The problem is with US.

I have nothing against improvement of technology, software, hardware...whatever...

But for example? I haven't updated my computer in YEARS. It' a dinosaur by todays standards and I know it. But it's good enough for what I use it for....

There's a point where I can't really perceive the value of the improvement. In computing time, in pixels, in sound quality. I don't doubt it exists, I just don't care.

If simply saying the word "Relax" takes longer than resolution of the "problem" itself? Then we all need to relax.

I don't expect technology or performance to move backwards. "Instant" or on demand is near the standard today, will be the standard tomorrow.

But there's something lost in human terms when we measure the onset of frustration in seconds or less.

20. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Yes, for example, at the beginning of this video the lag found when pressing the home button and other app buttons on the phone would be annoying or unacceptable to many nowadays.