1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I-PASS Transponders

Discussion in 'Local Prius Club Main Forum' started by meezercat, Jul 5, 2006.

1. meezercat

meezercat New Member

So where do you have yours? I'd like to place it for optimum visibility, as well as have it actually work. My last car had it on my side of the rear view mirror, but I'm thinking it may be better to put it on the passenger side? Thoughts?

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I keep mine in the drawer under the cupholders.

I used to drive the Tri-State every day but when I switched jobs, I changed routes. Then I get Priapus and just never mounted it. When I need it, I just reach down and get it.

3. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Yeah, mine is in the cupholder now, but I commute on the Tri-State, plus I go up to Wisconsin a lot.

I'm planning to go pick up some more velcro strips on Friday, but haven't decided where to mount them.

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Answering based on the assumption this is the same basic size and type transponder as mine, which is for the Smart Tag/EZ-Pass system used on the East Coast.

Mine is mounted just below the bottom edge of the "mesh" at the top of the windshield, to the right of the rear view mirror. I'm tall, so with my line of sight to the mirror, it doesn't affect visibility at all. I can't even see it unless I lean to the right or duck my head.

Jim

5. parrot_lady

parrot_lady Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jul 6 2006, 09:23 AM) [snapback]281910[/snapback]</div>

Same place mine is. I hardly notice its there anymore.

6. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Someone once posted here that the I-Pass/EZ-Pass/Fastlane transponders are readable from inside the top glovebox (with the glovebox closed). I haven't had the chance to try this out yet, but maybe I will some day when I'm feeling adventurous.

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Yeah. That was Jim, I think?, of Downers Grove, IL.
    Because I have the "old" model that beeps when I go through, I could tell easily if/when it worked. And it did! However, it rattled up there and I didn't like that so I moved it. And I use it so rarely these days that it no longer needs to be "at the ready."

8. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

The original sticky stuff that comes with the transponder (Chicagoland IPass) works great. I had it mounted on that in my pickup for a couple years with no problems.

February, sold the pickup, bought the Prius...

I used that white foam stick forever stuff to mount it to the passenger side, forward corner of the big window on the hatchback... (I know, it's supposed to be in the front) but I thought that the visibility sacrifice was not necessary and it works great mounted back there...

Right now, it's on the dash because the white sticky stuff is not as good as the original and the transponder (in the heat I guess) decided to fall off. I'm planning to superglue the transponder back to the white strips and see if that does the trick.

Anyhow, it works great back there... I get the blue light at the smaller gates.... I assume it works at the open road tolling ones since I havne't been contacted by the toll people.

9. tacomel

tacomel New Member

We have ours behind the rear view mirror on the passenger side, out of sight of the driver. I have the "old style" one that beeps so I know it's working. I have never had any problems. We obtained additional velcro by stopping in the manual lanes at a toll booth and asking for it - the guy had a cup of it zip-tied to the inside and gave us a handful.

Not to say it won't work another way, but I will quote from the Illinois tollway website (link):

10. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Try the Radio Shack Superlock strips, with proper prep it will be hard to pull it off.

My transponder is behind the rearview mirror on the dotted area on the passenger side. At the Chicago Auto Show I bought some transponder holders since they are black and I do not want anyone to see the transponder behind the dots. An added benefit is that since I have rotated my Auto-dim mirror the transponder covers the ambient light sensor and the mirror dims sooner in low light conditions.

Wayne

11. philwojo

philwojo Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I just remounted mine in about the same place as everyone else, but I got a cool holder for it from Jewel. It will hold ez-pass or Ipass units, and I also have the old one. I just have to put it in upside down, but I don't care it works.

Now the holder is mounted but I can take the Ipass in and out at will no problems. That way I can also use it in other cars, easily or just pull it off if I don't want to see it. The holder I got is clear and looks decent.

I have also seen a black holder, but it looks like it will only work with the new silent models of the Ipass.

Check out your local Jewel, mine was up near the registers.

I plan on being at the meet on July 16th at Grossmans, so if you want to wait and are going to be there you can see mine.

Phil

12. jkaplan

jkaplan New Member

Mine sits on the top shelf in the glove compartment. No problem at all.

13. meezercat

meezercat New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(philwojo @ Jul 6 2006, 08:43 AM) [snapback]281951[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks! I will definitely run into Jewel this weekend and see if they have them. I noticed in the similar thread in the main forum, there was a link to a place that sold those online. I have the non-beeping type. Haven't decided yet about Grossmans, but I guess I better make up my mind soon since RSVP is needed.

FireEngineer - why don't you want anyone to be able to see it?

Oh, and it definitely doesn't work from the center console cupholder... I forgot to hold it up on my way home today. :unsure:

14. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well two things come up. First in Chicago, where I live and work, the transponders are a smash-and-grab item - what you don't see you can't grab. Second I don't like the look of a white box in the middle of my windshield.

Wayne

15. meezercat

meezercat New Member

Ahh, got it. I can deal with the look of it, but I sure would want to avoid a smash and grab!

16. Skwyre7

Skwyre7 What's the catch?

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(JimboK @ Jul 6 2006, 08:23 AM) [snapback]281910[/snapback]</div>
    Mine is there too. I have my rearview mirror inverted for more visibility and it almost completely covers the transponder.