1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I Pulled The Trigger... Where Do I Begin?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by PriUncut, May 24, 2016.

1. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Let the learning begin! I'm not sure where to start?

That's right my 2016 FOUR Touring is home! Just in time to beat the threatening rain clouds! :eek:

I ended up Magnetic Gray Metallic, Black Interior and Premium Convenience Package!

So far I'm LOVING IT!! Everything I hoped for and more! I will post a pic when I get a chance.

I want to thank everyone on this forum! Your help and input was invaluable in making my decision. I am so thrilled and looking forward to getting to know even more. It's truly an awesome car!!! :D

Not bad for someone who only joined this forum on May 9th... and NOW I'M AN OWNER!! Whahooo!!!

KimPrius3, ETP, skayaks and 6 others like this.
  2. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Most important thing right now is just drive it, find the controls, get used to the mirrors, learn your sightlines.

In about 3 tanks, you can start to work on getting the most MPG, but first, lets be safe in the car.

ETP and PriUncut like this.
  3. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Congrats!

The Knowledge Base section has some tips (mostly gen 2 but still applicable).

John1701a.com has some useful tips on his website.

This is also a good video to watch.

4. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I always recommend a conservative start.
    So would agree with simply driving it for a while, getting use to it just as a vehicle.
    Once you are just comfortable with driving it, you can start worrying about techniques and/or additional technical knowledge.

I personally enjoy reading my owners manual. So in the meantime I'd also recommend reading the owners manual. Can head off a lot of basic questions that might arise.

5. pakitt

pakitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    The key to high mpg is "smooth driving". Like in all cars. The Prius allows you to do this really well.
    Fill the bar progressively and don't drive either there is no tomorrow or as slow as a slouch, and your mpg will go up up up. :)

6. Frederickdawg

Frederickdawg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations fella, you wont be disappointing.

PriUncut likes this.
  7. Vintage Pep

Vintage Pep Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Congrats!! I'm glad and a fine color!! It's my first prius as well and I"m very happy with the Gen4.

ETP, bisco and PriUncut like this.
  8. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Next order of business... programming a rolling code for the garage door opener into HomeLink. Luckily I've done that before (although it been 10+ years). So out comes the ladder!

Then I've got to figure out why the album artwork (Gracenote) info is not displaying from my iPhone? I know there's the setting to "Display Cover Art" (in setup) and it's checked. And I know it does work (with material playing from iPhone)... I'm just wondering where the Gracenote info coms from? Maybe because I'm sitting in the garage.

I know when I paired my iPhone at another dealer (before I bought) and listened to my music for about a half hour... the album artwork wasn't there at first. Then I noticed it was appearing... for the material playing from my phone. I was surprised! So further exploration today. But for non-radio, non-XM sources, where does the car pull the Gracenote info from?

#8 PriUncut, May 25, 2016
    Last edited: May 25, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  9. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No need for ladder. All I did was get the garage door opener fob , press open on fob whilst pressing the home link button on mirror. I programmed both garage doors using this method. Basically first pressed the home link button and kept finger pressed on it, then within a second pressed the garage door opener fob next to the Prius mirror. It programmed it. Easy peasy.

LG-H901 ?

PriUncut likes this.
  10. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Tried that. But I have a Rolling Code system. That method requires putting the garage door into a "training mode". Not hard, but requires the car outside, a ladder to push a button on the garage door head, then you have 30 second to get down the ladder, into the car and hold the button etc. - I've done it in the past. Unfortunately the easy peasy method doesn't work with my type of opener.

ETP likes this.
  11. Jim in NC

Jim in NC Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Congratulations Priuncut! (y);) You won't be sorry. :D

Like others have said, go slow and BE SAFE. There are a lot of controls and distractions in this car, so don't be fiddling with buttons and run into a curb, or worse! (A member on PC did just that and blew out 2 tires and bent the rims).

When you are safely parked in your driveway, go through the audio system screen and set all your settings - (pair your phone, set your Home Address, and display preferences, set your radio presets). Then you can go up to the top screens and set up the displays with what will help you to be a safe and efficient driver. I have been learning to drive and safely park the car. I have yet to do some fine tuning on the audio system preferences and NAV unit, and haven't done the AUTO PARK yet either.

By the way, great taste on your color choices! I have a 4 w/ black interior too. Doesn't it look classy? Metallic Gray was one of my final choices when I was picking colors. Please post pics! :)

12. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks Jim. I am learning the controls... starting at least to get a handle on what's most important.

I think this car might actually make me a safer driver (without even realizing it) ;). So much fun to drive. I've got the pairing, address book... allot of the essentials already done. Many of which were surprisingly easy to do! Who needs Apple CarPlay? Not me! I thought I did... but I don't. iPhone integration is much better than I thought it would be.

Side note: I even have the Cover Art Display (Gracenote) info working properly. [the artist name, album title etc. - on one on particular album was wrong and not properly entered in the Gracenote format]. Everything else displays impressively well.

Yes, the whole car inside and out looks classy! The Metallic Gray is a superb choice... amazing metal flake detail shows up in the sun. I think all the colors are winners... and look much better in person!

I am LOVIN it!! Pics coming as soon as I come down off of cloud nine!!!

I did get it sorted out. As I posted... mine is the "rolling code" type. But a ladder, remove a cover, push a button... then push button on HomeLink... bam... done. Easy (almost as) peasy as yours!

ETP and krmcg like this.
  13. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes fella mine also a rolling code. Was installed this century ;-)

LG-H901 ?

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats man, pics when you have a chance please, all the best!(y)

ETP likes this.
  15. William Redoubt

William Redoubt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    And stay under 80 mph. I do most of my driving on the I-10 between LA and Phoenix. Once you get past Moreno Valley it's pretty much a flat out "speed limit" (meaning 80 mph) situation. Keeping it at 70 or below makes a big difference in mileage. You also add about 8 minutes for every hour at the lower speed. On a 3 or four hour trip that adds up! Still getting 44 mpg average after 8,000 miles in 3 months.

16. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Welcome PriUncut!! You will not be disappointed with your choice. Others may scoff at you. But to me, dollar for dollar, the Prius with all the bells and whistles is a great buy! Not to mention the low maintenance costs over the years!! Enjoy!!

17. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I couldn't agree more! (y)

What's interesting is... there has not yet been an ounce of buyers remorse!! :cool: This is one cool car... and I have never been happier with a car purchase.

Photo op at somewhere very scenic... coming soon!

ETP and krmcg like this.
  18. PriUncut

PriUncut Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Blind Spot Monitor (BSM) on the outside rear view mirror... I know the indicator lights come on... but I was under the impression that IF your turn signal was on as well, the would be audible alert. But I can't find any mention of that specifically in the manual and I don't want to find out the hard way.

Is there any audible alert if changing lanes, the blinker is on and the indicator in the mirror is flashing?

Please tell me there is sound too? Or do I have this wrong?

#18 PriUncut, May 26, 2016
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
    ETP likes this.
  19. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I found Homelink programming a breeze: just got my son on it. :whistle:

ETP likes this.
  20. Frederickdawg

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I posted the same question about BSM when I bought mine. No, it doesn't have audible alert unfortunately. You'd think with all the beeps and sounds. One extra one wouldn't have hurt Toyota to implement.

LG-H901 ?

PriUncut likes this.