1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I put a small amount of diesel in my Prius and now it won't start

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by kissinger, Jun 1, 2016.

1. kissinger

kissinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So yesterday when I was filling up I foolishly put a small amount of diesel in my '06 Prius (the meter got to around £2.50 before I realised). I thought I would be okay if I just filled up the rest of the tank with petrol (which is what I did), but I've just went to start it and it's dead.

It did start at first just now, but I think it was running on the residual battery charge because the engine didn't kick in and the fuel gauge showed empty. I drove it around 10 miles home from where I filled up and then used it again later that evening.

What should my next moves be? Is draining the tank and refilling likely to work or will it have caused more severe damage? I did read somewhere online that diesel in the tank can cause the gauges to go haywire so maybe if I can get it running and top up with a bit more petrol it will eventually 'flush' out the diesel?

2. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    So does it start or not? The battery lasts less than a mile so it couldn't have made 10 miles without the ICE coming on. If it does start, I'd just keep driving and filling up to dilute the rest of the tank.

4. kissinger

kissinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It won't currently start, but it ran absolutely fine yesterday (even after putting the diesel in), and I did about 20 miles after the incident.

5. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    if it was biodiesel, the pistons and cylinders are all covered in deposits and engine needs to be rebuilt. there is a video on youtube about it. not sure about regular diesel, maybe purging/cleaning the whole fuel system (including injectors) and spark plugs will help. IMHO, the car should not be driven with diesel contamination.

here is the video, the guy claims he put a gallon of biodiesel in his prius:

#5 Former Member 68813, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  6. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    You're not being consistent. Your OP said you got 10 miles without the ICE coming on and the fuel gauge showed empty. Now you're saying you got 20 miles yesterday without incident. Which is it?

The way I see it. You already have diesel contamination in it. Your engine is already damaged or it isn't. Thats why I recommend to just keep driving it. Be more specific when you say, "it's dead." Any lights come on? Can you shift to D?

edthefox5 likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Nobody bothered to ask whether the gas tank was half full or near empty, nor did the OP mention it - IOW it makes a big difference if that amount of diesel is just a couple liters mixed with 6 or 7 gallons -versus basically being nothing but diesel in the gas tank.

8. Kenny94945

Kenny94945 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four
    Post # 7 asks a valid question...ratio of diesel to gasoline.
    I also agree with post # 5 ...don't try to drive the car until you do some inspections/ repairs.

Might be best for a shop to do.....can be messy and you may need specific tools for the fuel lines.
    Drain fuel tank, refill with gasoline, disconnect fuel line at injectors, turn on car and operate the fuel pump to purge the fuel lines, reconnect and go for a start.
    You might even consider (mentioned above) inspecting or replacing the spark plugs.
    Not sure if removing the injectors is necessary to clean them of any potential "gunk" which maybe affecting their spray pattern.
    This is just a procedure not specific to a Prius.

Of course it could be Murphy's Law and something else failed at the same time.
    Hook up a OBD reader and inspect for codes before doing anything.
    The basics are test for spark then test for fuel.

Good luck.
    S**t happens....don't feel to foolish.

kissinger likes this.
  9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I too would have thought a small amount of diesel could be handled. Like the video above, I believe it's also true that's its hard to siphon out the fuel from the filler tube side.

10. kissinger

kissinger New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I am being consistent. I drove home 10 miles. Then I went back out later that evening and drove another 10 with no problems. So altogether I did 20.

When I first turned it on this morning I got the dash, but the engine didn't kick in and I had an error light. Then I turned it off and on again several times hoping it was just a sensor issue but each time I had less and less battery. Also, the fuel gauge was showing as empty for as long as the car was powered at all.

11. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I worked at a trucking company and saw a gas vehicle stop running after a diesel fill up.
    About one hour before it stopped. Not sure what the gas to diesel ratio was.

The mechanics were able to drain the diesel out and get it running again in about 30 minutes.
    It did take a couple minutes cranking to get it started.

Good luck.

So, your Prius doesn't have the "bladder" gas tank, right ?

I'm optomistic that your mechanic can get it running without too much work.
    Surely they've seen this before.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It's probably 5% biodiesel right? and I do not know if you have 5% ethanol in the gasoline? Any water probably gets kicked out not sure what happens.

That's sounds like a fun test tube test. Maybe something drops out not sure. Earlier in the week one EU member was saying they are trying to give water with ethanol in EU if so there could be water dropping out.

#12 wjtracy, Jun 1, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2016
  13. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Did not know the UK doesn't have different size nozzles on diesel and regular gas pumps like we do so you can't do that over here.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what part of a gallon does 2.5 pounds buy? how many miles on her? could this be a coincidence?

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dstahre and mmmodem like this.
  16. Kevin_Denver

Kevin_Denver Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agree with others, if you take it to a shop and fully drain the gas tank, refill with maximum octane fuel available, then run the fuel pump until clean fuel comes through in the engine bay, there's a good chance the car will start and run. After that I'd run engine/ fuel injector cleaner in the gas for several tanks to clean as much gunk out of the engine as possible from improper running. Also probably worth changing the oil after a few tanks. Inspection of the spark plugs will reveal if anything too bad has occurred in the engine. Putting octane booster in immediately after discovering adding a small amount of diesel might have been sufficient, but is unlikely to work now.

#16 Kevin_Denver, Jun 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
    dstahre likes this.
  17. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    £2.5 = a tad over ½gal U.S.
    heck I probably swallowed that much siphoning when I was a kid ... which explains a lot

dstahre and bisco like this.
  18. Eastside

Eastside Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    bisco likes this.
  19. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    it's a shame some of the most interesting threads lack a follow up.

mmmodem likes this.