1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I put Nitrogen in my tires.

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by TJandGENESIS, Nov 12, 2006.

1. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    How would you know if nitrogen was actually put in the tires? Costco doesn't charge so they probably are doing it. There's really no way of knowing is there? How would you test to see what percentage of nitrogen is in your tire? At least with magnets on the fuel line you see the magnets. I bought new tires at Costco and my mileage dropped. I could say it's the nitrogen with the same logic as used above. But it's really the different size and make of tires I had installed. If I drained them and refilled with air would my mileage decrease some more?

2. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jan 25 2007, 03:09 PM) [snapback]380848[/snapback]</div>

DRAINED??? <_< Did they put liquid nitrogen in there??? Now there is an idea... B)

Tell me, did you have to squeeze the tires to get the last bit out? or did it just rush out all by itself?

I don't have liquid nitrogen handy... so I am going to try Dihydrogen Monoxide.... see if this helps my mileage any! (It certainly will make my car safer - based on its new 7,000 lbs of weight!)

3. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Jan 26 2007, 02:34 AM) [snapback]381022[/snapback]</div>
    Funny how one wrong word and the whole meaning changing and everything can be misunderstood. I should have used empty or purge so you would have understood. Sorry.

To justify my wrong terminology I and most every diver I know would understand you don't drain your scuba tank down to zero because of possible moisture getting in. Scroll down to the first dot under "Keeping Moisture Out of Your Tank" as an example.

http://www.sharkyscuba.com/service-tank-maintenance.html

4. John in LB

John in LB Life is good

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ Jan 26 2007, 08:54 AM) [snapback]381155[/snapback]</div>

Koa, I was just having some fun - and not making fun of you. There is certainly no need to apologize. I completely understood what you said.

5. member

member New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jan 25 2007, 11:46 AM) [snapback]380691[/snapback]</div>
    Did they "drain all the air" and water out of YOUR tires? How would you know?

Your claim was about nitrogen, not benefits from the act of drying, although that wouldn't matter either.
    Our humidities are very low here, but that doesn't matter either. Theoretically a very cold tire may improve gas mileage as the rubber is stiffer and will not submit to flexing. Not sure that effect would be measurable. The only thing that matters for handling and fuel consumption in a given set of tires is tire pressure. You could prove it to yourself easily. Go fill your tires up with Helium. See if you get a change in gas mileage at all. You won't, but it would be a good experiment for you. Helium is gas that does have fast permeation rates through practically all materials, so you will lose tire pressure far faster than with air. For a given tire pressure though, you will not see a difference between air, N2 and He in your mileage or handling.

6. priusenvy

priusenvy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jan 25 2007, 01:06 PM) [snapback]380784[/snapback]</div>
    When the tire is mounted and the beads set, there is air in it at atmospheric pressure. So assuming an inflation pressure of 42psi with N2, about 25% (by volume) of that is regular air and 75% is added N2.

So imagine if the tire could have been mounted in an 100% N2 environment, and the tires filled with 100% N2. He might have gotten a 26-27% increase in fuel economy. :rolleyes:

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(John in LB @ Jan 26 2007, 09:11 AM) [snapback]381255[/snapback]</div>
    I know, I was just having some fun too. :D

8. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jan 25 2007, 06:06 PM) [snapback]380784[/snapback]</div>
    Rick, I have learned that you get your information about world events from Fox News.
    So I wonder how that effects your thought process.

Wait. One has to have thoughts...sorry. I assumed you did.

9. viking31

viking31 Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jan, 04:38 PM) [snapback]381343[/snapback]</div>

I also often watch CNN, MSNBC, ABC, CBS, etc. I suppose you could call me a news junkie. To objectively see the world, one must gather information from many different sources.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Jan, 04:38 PM) [snapback]381343[/snapback]</div>
    Alas, though, I think we have discovered the root of your nitrogen riddle. While we can be tolerant of the occasional spelling error in online posts, grammatical errors such as the one in your above quote quickly reveal your thought processes and perhaps educational level. I'll leave this riddle up to you to solve.

Rick
    #4 2006 sans magnets on the fuel lines

10. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(viking31 @ Jan 28 2007, 10:54 PM) [snapback]382107[/snapback]</div>

Four college degrees. Masters in Education. Working on a Doctorate in Theology.
    IQ off the chart. So, I'se got the brains and the edumacation.

Spelling, okay. Grammatical errors? This is the internets. Where one speaks in LOL and POV.

In other words, it ain't that important.

(above errors intentional, BTW)

So, enjoy your magnets, firmly wrapped around your cerebellum.

11. markderail

markderail I do 45 mins @ 3200 PSI

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I told the clerk in Costco promoting it....did you pass high school?????

Our atmosphere is over 95% nitrogen. Whats evacuating 5% of oxygen and trace gases going to do to my mileage? C'mon.

Pure Hydrogen mixed with Argon, ya, that I would try.

12. GripperDon

GripperDon New Member

Comments:

You do need to "Drain" the air out to get full benefit of the new added gas. I flush the tire several times to do this as best i can.

I Use Argon, It is trully inert and has the largest molecule that is available in gas form and Finally has the lowest thermal conducitivy.

All these are benefical but only worthwhile if you cna get the Argon for free as i do. It's too expensive to buy for tire filling purposes.