1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I put sealant into the tires

Discussion in 'Prime Main Forum (2017-2022)' started by PT Guy, Feb 28, 2017.

1. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Just to forestall a flat tire, I put tire sealant into the snow tires. I'll put sealant into the all season tires when I put them back on.

I used Ride-On Auto & SUV formulation sealant. I haven't used this before, but friends have had good results with their motorcycle formulation. This product also balances the tires. The tires must be machine balanced first, and cannot be machine balanced again after the sealant is added. Here's how the balancing works as demonstrated on truck tires and even on my Speed Queen washing machine:
    How Centramatic Tire Balancers Work Video
    Front Load Washers - Speed Queen - Home Laundry Equipment

Installation was kind'a a pain. The stuff is viscous and not that easy to get into the tire valves. I have an air compressor, so reinflating was no problem for me. Our size tires takes 12 fluid ounces each so three 16 oz bottles does our cars. The Ride-On maker says their product is water washable and no problem for tire installers when the tires are changed, not a mess like Slime. We'll see. Ride-On says to inspect the tires periodically and pull out nails or unscrew screws in the tread, then follow a simple driving procedure to get the sealant into the holes. I can do that.

I think it's a good idea. Time will tell. If it prevents the Mrs. from having a flat...with no spare...and avoids a tow bill, or the time and bother of an insurance-paid tow, that's all good. I could use the Toyota inflator and sealant. She wouldn't want to be bothered. The car rides the same with the sealant in the tires. At first it takes a few miles for the sealant to get dispersed around the inside of the tire so it gets to be in balance--right out of the garage after installation it felt like I was driving on square tires. Now they run nice & smooth.

Tire Sealant | Tire Protection System - Ride-On
    AUTO and SUV

#1 PT Guy, Feb 28, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2017
    jtg61 likes this.
  2. xliderider

xliderider Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Is it safe for the TPMS sensors?

3. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    What happens when it dries up in your tires?

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This product is kinds cool for M/Cs because, unlike automobiles, motorcycles usually do not have the ability to carry a proper spare.

.....However (comma!) in the US motorcycles are ALSO primarily used as a recreational vehicle and smart cyclists (both motor and pedal) always carry enough kit to plug a leak. Commuters who ride are fairly rare and even those brave souls are selective about distance, routes, weather, hour, etc.
    If you live in one of America's vast grey sloburbs then it's possible to get by without a proper spare since there's always roadside assistance - BUT you should also be careful to avoid areas that one would not willingly walk through at night because Mr. Murphy WILL come and visit you and one should not think that a can of "spray and pray" will plug all leaks in a tire.

If you do not live in urban sprawl, then you should consider carrying a proper spare, because time and distance can work against you and once you get out into America's heartland you'll find that there are actually areas where cellular communication isn't 100-percent reliable....and bad things can happen to good people out there too.

Drive without a spare?
    I do it all the time.......on a motorcycle.
    Wouldn't think of it in a car.

YMMV

6. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I haven't gotten a flat in 40 years, and tires are way better today. Nails and screws in tires don't count. Just don't be stupid and pull them out unless you want the tire to go flat on you. Mostly, they cause a slow leak. Have the tire shop deal with it or wait till you get home. Sometimes the screw or nail doesn't penetrate the casing anyway. Pull it out slightly and if you hear air leaking, push it back in. I don't believe in goop in car tires. It isn't needed. Mountain bikes, yes. If in the rare event you get a flat and don't have a spare, you can try the Toyota compressor goop or just call for road assistance. Well, maybe if you are out in the middle of nowhere with no cell service... Not saying a spare isn't a good idea, but there are a multitude of other ways a car can breakdown.

jtg61 likes this.
  7. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Tires can go flat as a pancake with the screw/nail/bolt still in.

But yeah: if it's holding, or partially holding, leave it be as long as possible. Same thing if you're doing plug repair: have EVERYTHING ready to go before you pull the offending object out, and immediately put in the ream tool, and then the plug ASAP. It's easier to push things in when the tire's still got some pressure.

And less exercise later, if you're using something like a bicycle pump to re-air it. Which is possible, a bit of a workout, but not that hard.

jtg61 likes this.
  8. PT Guy

PT Guy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    The maker says it is.

Doesn't dry out.

I carry a Nealey tire repair plug kit on my motorcycle along with a compressor. It has worked well for me in the past. I could use it on the Prime, but I'd never consider asking the Mrs. to use it. I'm not as dumb as I look....