1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I put the wrong oil filter but it works!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by mlibanio, Jul 24, 2009.

1. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Um .... that isn't what I meant. For reference, the excellent documentary/educational film "Deliverance" may be viewed. Although filmed in Georgia, close enough for discussion purposes

Yes, I'm referring to obvious inbreeding, human isolates, various birth defects, etc. I trust you've never had to "squeal like a pig?"

Move at once. Today if possible!

Yes, most vehicles with spin-on oil filters can take a wide variety of oil filters. Not sure what advantage there is to using a different filter, perhaps cost savings or perceived better filtering

Of course, with the 2010 Prius and Corolla, you need a cartridge filter. This appears to be Toyota-only, at the moment

2. nthach

nthach New Member

I use the taller Scion/Corolla filter with no issues.

3. danl

danl New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Just to add about Fram filters. I've been using fram on my '92 camry since I took delivery of it 17 years ago. 17 years later, the car still runs fantastic.

4. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    In most states, you cannot pass smog with the engine check light on so I'd say your friend was limited at most to 2 years of this.

5. sorka

sorka Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    I bought a box of ten of the taller filters from a mail order Toyota dealer. Shipped was a little over $30, so about $3 / filter.

I don't use Fram anymore. I had used one on my SC400 in a pinch a few years ago. The rubber check valve wasn't sealing which resulted in the engine oil draining back into the oil pan slowly over a day or so. If left unstarted for more than a day, the valve train made a horrible clattering sound. Finally figured out it was the filter. Replaced it wih a Toyota filter. Problem hasn't been back.