1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I read that People are leaving California by the thousands=Take your Prius with you!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You don't really drive in California you just follow endless lines of traffic to nowhere must be horrible

2. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    LOL! They've been doing that for decades.

There's an old joke about four men riding in a car.

One was from Florida, one from Nebraska, one from Idaho, and one from New York. All of a sudden the Nebraskan who's sitting in front, pulls an ear of corn out of his pocket and chucks it out the window. "Why'd you do that?" asks one of the others. The Cornhusker says, "Well, in Nebraska we have so much corn we don't even know what to do with it all."

A few minutes later, the driver, who's from Idaho tosses a potato out the window. "Why did you do that?" asks a fellow traveler. The response? "I thought you knew that we have way more potatoes in Idaho than what we can use," came the reply.

Almost immediately, the Floridian in the back seat reaches across the New Yorker, opens the New Yorker's door, and kicks him out on the pavement."

Isaac Zachary, m.wynn, Rph74 and 2 others like this.
  3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'll have it if he doesn't want it :)

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Actually, I don't think Elon has a house like the rest of us. So yesterday. He lives on the factory floor wherever the hottest action is. Fremont, Los Angeles, Nevada, Austin, probably China in the near future. Real question is where do his wife and kids reside? Betcha it's one of the historical places in Northern California... His lawyers are probably working on a mailbox in Bermuda...

bisco likes this.
  5. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well my mom's husband lived a majority of his life in Iowa and told me he never had such good corn as he had from Sloughhouse California.

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Consider the OP. One of the dumbest posters on this site.

7. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I was born & raised in Iowa. Iowa grows feed corn. Sweet corn is quite different. And the secret with sweet corn is that, no matter where it's grown, you want the water boiling before you pick it. It loses flavor that fast. :D

Skibob, fotomoto and John321 like this.
  8. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Ditto here in Texas. Each late spring, we'd shuck an entire truck bed full of fresh picked feed corn for two families for the year. This was pre-gmo and completely organic (couldn't afford fertilizer, let cows eat the corn plants and grass/weeds after final harvest in August and poop it all back into the fields before tilling back under) but, yeah, it wasn't sweet at all.

jerrymildred likes this.
  9. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yeah, I had field corn once at a friend's ranch in Nebraska. It was picked pretty green, so it wasn't bad. But nothing like what we picked from our own garden in Ohio, which was about a thousand times better than anything in the store.

My father-in-law used to grow lots of sweet corn. Then, when it was ready, he'd have as many of the family there as could make it, he'd get a big butchering kettle boiling over a fire in the back yard next to the garden, and load in the sweet corn with a pitchfork, husk and all. We'd pull it out of the boiling water, gingerly peel back the husk & silk to use as a handle, roll it in a stick of butter and sprinkle on some salt. And then eat like pigs!! I miss those days. My wife's uncle still has corn boils but we haven't been up there at the right time.

Skibob likes this.
  10. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I had never seen anyone toss it (husk and all, soaked) onto a grill before moving to Indiana, but gee, that's quick, easy, and tasty.

jerrymildred likes this.
  11. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've had it that way a couple times. I prefer the boiled taste. Seems like the grilling alters the flavor. Some like it better one way and some the other.

12. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Works like a treat in the micro too. Wrap 2-4 cobs in a small cotton hand towel (to keep in the steam) for about 5-8 minutes on medium power (YMMV).

I tend to over cook them on the grill but love it that way too!

John321 and jerrymildred like this.
  13. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I once rescued a microwave that was old enough that it really had different power levels. There were only three, but they were genuinely different: high was full power, and then medium and low, involving nearly Coke-bottle-sized power resistors in the back of the case, being switched into the circuit. That thing must have weighed 60 pounds.

Since then, I've had a little Sanyo that, like everything these days, has like ten "power levels" according to the controls, that don't mean anything other than different on-and-off timings for the fixed-power 1100 watt magnetron.

1100 watts is enough to make potatoes kind of jump, so "medium" power in the new thing just means jumping potatoes for about 10 seconds, then nothing for 10 seconds, then jumping, then nothing .... The old one could just steadily cook them on medium. I kind of miss that.

jerrymildred likes this.
  14. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One might say that modern microwaves use PWM with really wide pulses. :)

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Born in California in the 1950s and spending almost our entire lives there, we moved out after my wife fully retired from the LA Sheriff's Department in September of 2019. California has a lot to offer but the quality of life overall has gone down substantially. We believe it was due to two things. First is the overcrowding. Rats in an overcrowded cage will go crazy and turn on each other; the people in California are no different. Second, the liberalism in California actually led to a lot of good things (leading the country on environmental issues is one) but the pendulum has swung and stayed too far to the left. The "powers that be" think the people can continue to afford the more extreme portions of the agenda they want. They need to return to more moderate positions or they will lose almost everything.

Our plan was always to get our retirement pensions and income set up and then take it to some place more affordable for us in our senior years. It worked out well for us. Along the way we raised a family and enjoyed what the state had to offer. The same opportunities no longer exist for the average family there.

Skibob, jerrymildred and John321 like this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it seems to be working. more people are moving in than out, no?

i have visited many times, never really noticed any quality of life issues. maybe you have to live there to understand.
    the fires are a concern though, and selective location would be important.

17. srellim234

srellim234 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    We were in southern California usually 20-40 miles east of Los Angeles. We watched the area go from towns separated by citrus groves and vineyards to miles and miles of concrete, homes and businesses. Crime out there is now rampant enough it's no longer safe to walk around town, especially after dark. Parks are crowded, you now need permits to go hiking in the mountains, amusement venues are overcrowded, just about any commercial entertainment is too pricy for someone struggling on minimum wage to pay their bills and pay exorbitant rent for their apartment. For many, moving there is a result of a perception from the past that California still is the most likely place in the USA to achieve the American dream.

In the right location California can still be a good place to live but a tremendous amount of the luster has come off of it.

Skibob and jerrymildred like this.
  18. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Reminds me of a lot of people here in Colorado. Seems like a lot of Coloradans hate anyone from out of state, especially Texans and Californians. Which is kind of ironic especially in tourist areas like where I live. If the Texans and Californians didn't come by and spend their money to visit, these towns would not be able to survive economically. Basically there's tourism (hotels, restaurants, guided tours, equipment rentals, etc.) and a cattle ranch out east of town since nothing else grows up here. Not everyone in town will be able to work at the cattle ranch if tourism dies.

But back on the main topic, I've read the reason lots of people are moving out of California is because of the economic inequality and the high rents and property prices. For an example, more and more high figure workers keep moving to Silicon Valley. They buy up property and in turn property prices keep going up. Therefore rent goes up. But the people that have been there for years and work at lower income jobs still get paid about the same but their rents are now through the roof.

Just looking at the country's averages, life is kind of hard... on average. A family's median wage in the United States is just north of $60,000 per year, which once you take out taxes is around $4,000 to spend per month. But rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is around $1,500 on average. So over 1/3 of a median wage, which is doable. But the average appartment is over double that in San Francisco. So 2/3 the median wage, if your family makes that. There are families that make more than that, but there are also families that make less than that as well. Imagine making $60,000 a year and having less than $1,000 a month to spend after rent and not really having any cheaper rent alternatives to move to in your area.

#58 Isaac Zachary, Dec 12, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2020
    srellim234 and jerrymildred like this.
  19. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    In the area we live (Northern California between Sacramento and San Francisco) we have not seen a decline in population, still more people moving in and more developments being built ;).

The development we live in is one where her parents still live, and we are in 1/3 of an acre :).

While crime happens in every area, we walk with the kids at all hours and viewed the Christmas lights in the neighborhood last weekend. Cost of living is higher than other areas we have lived in the country, but the weather outside is nice this time of year, so we'll take it(y).

Skibob and bisco like this.
  20. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yup. We lived in the Denver area in the 70s. I remember that well. There's a saying here in Florida. "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot 'em?" And up in Wyoming, they used to refer to Coloradans with their green mountains on the license plates as "Greenies."

I spent the summers of '73 and '74 in Berzerekley." (Did I write that out loud? LOL!) Other than a disproportionate number of nut cases, it was very livable. Then I spent nine months spanning 1998-1999 doing consulting in Torrance, CA. Not nearly as pleasant. I had a genuine feeling I was trapped and might not be able to get out of the city. And prices were already insane. I can't imagine how much worse it is now, two decades later.

srellim234, Skibob and Isaac Zachary like this.