1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I read that People are leaving California by the thousands=Take your Prius with you!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ski.dive, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends on who you ask.

According to Wikipedia the coldest town in Colorado is Fraser.
    Fraser, Colorado - Wikipedia

According to this other site Gunnison is the third coldest in the country, after Barrow, Alaska and International Falls, Minnesota.
    Top 5 Coldest Places in America – Air Conditioning & Heating Repair Maintenance (wordpress.com)

Many days the temperatures are the same in both towns. But Alamosa may have a lower average temperature. The San Luis Valley, where Alamosa is, is also just over North Cochetopa Pass from the Gunnison Valley, so they're not that far from each other and are very similar geographically.

Alamosa does seem to have a better growing season, or at least they grow a lot more than just hay like in Gunnison. Alamosa grows lettuce and potatoes, for an example.

2. Another

Another Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In my experience, Leadville, CO, gets pretty uncomfortable

3. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Alamosa, Gunnison, and Fraser all still remain in my memories as cold spots from when we lived in Colorado. Leadville, too, to some degree. (Pun not intended, but enjoyed. LOL!)

4. Isaac Zachary

Isaac Zachary Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    South Park isn't as cold, although it was there where I was outside in -52°F weather. The problem there is the wind always blows which makes it feel even worse.

Some people say that Colorado isn't that bad because it's not a humid cold. But in reality, once you get down to -20° or so humidity doesn't matter because the air just can't hold the humidity any more. It can be 100% humidity and dryer air than the Sahara. Personally I'd take 30°F humid cold over -40°F windy cold any day.

My mother was born in Leadville.

5. ski.dive

ski.dive Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Cold Weather like that Sucks...I live in Florida:D

Another likes this.
  6. The Lizard King

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring