1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I really don't need an oil change until 10K??

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by schiffy, Sep 13, 2014.

1. schiffy

schiffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I got my '14 PiP in July. I'm at 4400 miles and just had my 5K service done yesterday (basically just tire rotation) because I don't have time next week and I didn't want to go too much after 5K (I have a daily 100 mile round-trip commute).

I asked the service manager if it's really true that I don't need an oil change on a brand-new car until 10K and he said that I definitely don't because it's full-synthetic and there isn't any "break-in". My husband, however, really wanted me to get an oil change back at 1K because he said it's a new engine and there could be stuff in the oil from the engine breaking in (I don't know all the technical terms that he used).

So...PiP experts...what are your opinions? Toyota says I don't need an oil change. Husband says I do and should get one soon (and should have gotten one back in August). Who is right? What have you done with your new PiPs?

2. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    No you don't need to change your oil until 10,000 miles. It seems very strange and weird because you're not used to it but modern synthetic oils can easily (and I mean easily) handle 10,000 mile changes.

Here in the UK Toyota are regarded as very conservative with 10,000 mile changes, with most other manufacturer requiring oil changes at 12k, 15k, 18k and 20k+ miles or 12/24 months. We don't have engines falling out or breaking down any more often than any where else and if anything we have higher engine warranties than the US with 100,000 miles not being unusual.

So relax and save your money and time.

(It is important to use the correct oils though. Don't skimp on some rubbish stuff from your local supermarket)

Priusmpg likes this.
  3. Priusmpg

Priusmpg Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Grumpycabbie is right, even if you don't have a plug-in you don't need an oil change until 10k, even then you don't "need" it. If you don't want to or don't have time to, don't sweat it.

There's a company online that you can send your oil samples to. Just can't remember it's name.

I have used redline oil and royal purple in all my current cars from the '10 E-class to the '14 GS to the '13 corolla, just a personal preference though. I own my own shop so I don't take them to dealers, even if I have free ones.

My '14 plugin has had 5 oil changes, 10k, 20k, 30k, 40k, 45k, 50k. I just wanted to do the 45k because I did allot of heavy hill driving, it was absolutely not necessary.

It can't hurt to do it. Although, if we're on the topic, I'd recommend a magnetic plug; high quality oil and filter will do you a world of goods. Proper tire inflation will serve you better than frequent oil changes.

#3 Priusmpg, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
    GrumpyCabbie likes this.
  4. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    The Toyota service people told you correctly, you only change the oil every 10,000 miles including the first oil change. The first 1,000 mile oil change your husband is referring to applies to vehicles of many years ago. You have synthetic oil in your's, modern engines are different, the gasoline engine in your car does not run constantly. All of that stuff combined, just 10,000 mile oil change or once a year whichever comes first.

Priusmpg likes this.
  5. schiffy

schiffy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Thanks, everyone!

Priusmpg...what is a "magnetic plug"?

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i had mine changed at 5,000 and 15,000, i agree with your husband. it was a fight to the death with the service department though, and i barely got out in one piece. anyways, if you only keep your cars for 4 or 5 years, it doesn't make any difference.

Ken Blake likes this.
  7. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to complicate the issue, but it's true Toyota say's that Oil Changes are only needed at 10,000 mile intervals including the first one.

I would say, it's probably OK and you would be fine waiting until you reach 10,000.

That being said, I personally had the Oil Changed at 5000 at my own expense.

I suspect I'm embracing "Old School" thinking here. I suspect I'm not respecting the On/Off nature of the ICE in a hybrid coupled with the durability and longevity possible with today modern synthetic oils.

Deep in my heart, is suspect I wasted time, money and resources changing the oil and filter at 5000.

But damn if I wanted to wait until 10,000 on a brand new engine, on the original oil. I just HAD to have it changed.

Even if it is perfectly arguable that NOT changing and waiting until the recommended 10,000 mile interval is fine, I feel changing it at 5,000 miles won't hurt either, outside of the pocket book....and knowing that I have changed the oil out on my new engine makes me feel better. Well worth the modest expense of doing so, IMO.

I changed at 5,000- My expense- again at 10,000-Toyota Care-Free....and now I plan to change every additional 10,000 as recommended.

Your husband and I might be entirely wrong in our desire to change the oil prematurely in relationship to Toyota's recommendation, but in this case? It's cheap and changing it early is a modest investment into the realm of "It Might Help and it Makes Me Feel Better".

I think you have nothing to lose by changing it early except for money and time. I would of had them change it at your 5000 mile service. Even though they might of balked or told you not to do so.

jdcollins5 likes this.
  8. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Everyone seems to agree that with synthetic oil, you can go farther between oil changes, but most advice seems to consist of "overlapping margins of error," which is my way of saying that nobody is willing to say (at least publicly) how long you can go between oil changes before the synthetic oil actually breaks down.

"Better safe than sorry," may be good advice in lieu of actual knowledge, but I happen to think that actual knowledge is better than no knowledge. That's why, through experimentation over the years, I have gradually stretched the oil-change interval to twice a year. At times, I have driven 30,000 miles between oil changes, to no apparent ill-effect. My Dodge Ram pickup has over 160,000 miles on it, and it shows no signs of cylinder wear. The same has been true for many vehicles I've owned over the years.

Take that for what it's worth; I'm not going to tell anyone that it's safe to do what I've done, but that is what I've done, and I've seen no harmful effects.

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    For folks north of the 49th Parallel, Toyota still sets the regular change interval at 6 months or 8000 km (roughly 5000 miles). Same 0W20 weight. It's not like you drop into a deep freeze as you cross the border, lol. Our winters in the lower mainland are a LOT balmier than Fargo, Dakota, for example.

There's a lotta things we do in life that are overkill. Chasing a few wrinkles out of a perma-press shirt with an iron, two or three times a week comes to mind. Ambulance and various emergency response vehicles change their 12 volt battery bi-yearly, or even yearly. Most of us armor up with multi-millions of third party liability insurance, year after year.

If you're in the states and looking for an avenue to justify 5000 mile (or 6 month) oil changes, just take a close look at your driving habits. Most people are at least on the cusp of "severe service". At least close enough that they can't have you committed. ;)

#9 Mendel Leisk, Sep 13, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2014
  10. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    5,000 is all a scam to keep the service departments in work. Norway have 10k mile (16km) intervals and they're as cold as most civilised parts of Canada.

11. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Since I switched to 0-W oils a few years ago, I've never had to plug in my vehicles. One possible exception was when it was -47C (-53F) one morning, and my '93 Taurus turned over when I hit the remote starter, but it didn't catch after two tries; because the battery capacity had diminished in the cold, too low to allow a third try. I caught a ride to work, and when I returned in the afternoon, it had "warmed up" to the mid -30s, and the car started on the first try, even without a boost.

12. Randy G.

Randy G. Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    One reason I was given for 10,000 miles was because the engine in the Prius isn't running 100% of the time. It's off at idle and while cruising in shopping centers, etc.

13. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I thought that the main reason was the use of synthetic oil. My son had a 2003 AMG roadster a while back, and the oil change interval for it was 12000 miles (all 8 quarts, as I recall).

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Is the interval for other, non-hybrid US Toyota vehicles also 10000 miles? I'm thinking it is, not sure.

15. Okinawa

Okinawa Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    It did not hurt a thing to change it at 5,000 miles. It made you feel more at ease by doing it and it did not cost very much. In that respect you did the right thing. Now you are not going to worry about it.

16. pmike

pmike Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two

17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    excellent!(y)

18. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My Maintenance indicator went off around 47,000 miles, but I've been super-busy and it took about a month until I got the car into the dealer, who told me I was about 3,000 miles EARLY for the oil change. So here I thought I'd gone way past 10,000 miles without an oil change, but I'd just gone way past 5,000 miles. Ha ha.

19. GregP507

GregP507 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    A build-up of contaminants is a greater concern in the Prius engine. Long periods of inactivity can lead to accumulation of moisture in the engine, which can react with other substances that can acidify the oil and cause corrosion.

Changing oil on a time-interval makes more sense than doing so, based on miles.

20. markabele

markabele owner of PiP, then Leaf, then Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Just got out of the shop for an oil change a few hours ago. I had racked up about 12500 miles between the last oil change, of which only about 8500 of were in HV. The attendant said the oil looked very clean, whatever that is worth (probably not much).

mmmodem likes this.