1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I really need some help NOOB

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by JonathanSanders, Jan 24, 2018.

1. JonathanSanders

JonathanSanders New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Maybe I am in the wrong place to post and if so I apologize, now to my comment and question. I bought a 2012 Prius v3 wagon and recently threw the rod through the oil pan so the mechanic says, he was telling me that it seems to him the rod slowly starting separating and so I bought another motor and transmission but the mechanic (he is a good older mechanic) but not really good with electrical parts which I found after he had my car at his garage, I trust him but he wants to use my old transmission with the new motor because he doesn't feel comfortable removing the module from the transmission, he says it is either loc-tited in place with 3 bolts or something and he can break them loose but he is afraid he might mess up the module, if he removes the module and puts it on the other transmission can he do this without damaging the module and worse case scenario I have to have it coded again to work, sorry not a mechanic or a genius so I apologize for the question if it doesn't make sense. i will try to find out more info if anyone needs more, thank you in advance.

2. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Welcome to PriusChat; this is a good forum for your posting. You didn’t actually ask a question, and I’m not sure I have an answer, but let me offer a few thoughts:
    • Someone who is “not really good with electrical parts,” whatever his other virtues, perhaps shouldn’t be attempting such a major repair on a hybrid vehicle, if for no other reason than his own safety. As Toyota warns at the start of the Engine Assembly: Removal procedure in the Repair Manual:
    The vehicle has a hybrid system that operates at voltages up to 650 V. The hybrid system uses an HV battery that contains an electrolyte which is a strong alkali solution that includes potassium hydroxide. Be sure to follow the instructions in this manual to handle the system correctly. Failure to do so may result in serious injury or electrocution.
    • When you say “motor,” do you mean the gasoline engine? For a conventional gasoline car, “engine” and “motor” are synonyms, but on a Prius, “motor” can also refer to one of the two electric motor-generators in the hybrid vehicle transaxle assembly.
    • Was there a particular reason you bought a new transaxle (transmission), or did it just come with the engine? Was the old transaxle damaged somehow when the engine failed?
    • I’m not sure what you mean by “module.” Are you referring to the inverter with converter assembly? This is a big part, held in place by three bolts, but they attach it to the body, not to the hybrid vehicle transaxle assembly, and at least if you follow Toyota’s procedure, it has to be removed before the engine and transaxle come out, anyway.

Andyprius1, RCO and jerrymildred like this.
  3. JonathanSanders

JonathanSanders New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    1st thank you for replying and there is nothing wrong with the transmission I just found a really good deal on a motor transmission together and so I bought it he says he can replace the 1.8L engine no problem but if he is not confident about the transmission maybe I should find a better shop. This module I am referring to is attached to the transaxle I will see if he has a picture of it and I will post it. The engine/transmission I bought has 39000 miles on it out of the Lexus hybrid and mine out of the prius engine/transmission has 139000 miles. The question was could he disconnect the module which I hope he has a picture of for me to upload without any problems. Thank you in advance.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome!
    two things i would want my mechanic to have when doing work on the prius hybrid system:
    1) tech stream
    2) subscription to 'techinfo.toyota.com

are they absolutely necessary? maybe not, but certainly might help prevent major issues.

5. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    You’re most welcome.
    The module could be the shift control actuator assembly (PNC 35580), which is attached to the transaxle case with three non-reusable bolts (PNC 35513), each with a non-reusable cap (PNC 35514). It’s part of the transaxle assembly (PNC 30900) and not usually removed when replacing the engine or replacing the transaxle assembly with a new or rebuilt one from Toyota. Your replacement transaxle might have come without one, though.

The (PNC) references above are to the part name codes in Figure 39-01, Transaxle Assy, HV or FCV, in Toyota’s parts catalog. The shift control actuator assembly and its bolts and caps are shown near the bottom of illustration 1, towards the right side, just to the left of the box labeled “35556L.”

I agree with @bisco's suggestion, by the way, that anyone doing this work needs access to a diagnostic system and the Repair Manual, either Toyota’s or third-party equivalents.

Andyprius1, RCO and SFO like this.