1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I really wish the dealer told/showed me...(post your wishes)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by Weirdo23, Jun 13, 2008.

1. DuaneHebert

DuaneHebert Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The sales guy did ok as far as basic stuff. Setup my phone etc. Nothing about either of these. In fact told me that you couldn't disable the backup beep. I will try it tonight. Setting the touch pad was something that I had to google.

I'm happy to have found this chat. It has been helpful. Now, does anyone know how to keep the rear window (the one below the actual window) from fogging up? The actual rear window seems ok but the other one has issues <g>

2. abrown6597

abrown6597 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    what the best type of fuel to use in my 2012 prius 2!!! I am so lost. I have been putting mid grade gas in it. They sell something called e85 gas at HEB and its like 30cents a gallon cheaper but I have no idea:
    1. IF I can use this in my Prius
    2. IF I can use it...is it better than mid grade gas?
    3. If it is better to use this gas...How do I transition from mid grade to the e85?
    4. Can it be mixed with mid grade gas? (Like if I go out of town and can't find e85 gas can I put mid grade gas in with it)

I would really love for someone to take the time to explain this to me b/c I am LOST!!!

3. Willem

Willem Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Hi abrown6597,

Don't use E85 in your Prius. More information here:
    Running E85 | PriusChat

For USA drivers, I would recommend using Regular gasoline. Your Prius is designed to use lower octane fuel. To use a higher octane would IMO be a waste of money. And, yes, if you have the need, you may mix and match your gasoline without any ill effects.

I have on occasion noticed a little better mileage using a mid grade fuel. But the only reason I sometimes purchase it is because a petrol station near me frequently sells it at the same price as Regular. Otherwise, I don't believe the slight improvement in gas mileage would offset the higher cost of the fuel in most circumstances.

It is good that you are asking questions like this. You will find your Prius to be very economical and efficient using Regular grade gas.

ralleia and abrown6597 like this.
  4. abrown6597

abrown6597 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Will,

Thanks for the info...I actually think I got better gas mileage the first week I brought it home from the dealer than I do now. I don't know if they put regular or mid-grade in it then. Who knows?

PS: I meant they *sell something called E85 and not Sale...I don't know why my computer auto-corrected it to sale. Oh well...thanks again for your help. Have a nice night!!!
    Angela

5. Sharon Fox

Sharon Fox New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We just brought our 2012 Prius home the other day. The dealer told me they don't order mats most times because they usually put in the carpet mats but many people want the all weather types and then they have to spend more money.

6. dragonfly13

dragonfly13 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Does the 2013 have ...a hidden secret lockout key?
    Wher in the cabin air filter located on a 2013?

7. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The 2013's are 99.999% the same as 2012's so,

There is a physical metal key inside both keyfobs.
    Key.jpg

The cabin air filter is behind the glovebox on the passenger side.

8. Clay2013

Clay2013 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    We just picked up our 2013 Prius model 5 yesterday. I wish the sales guy HAD NOT told me that the technology package included Blind Spot Indicators in the mirrors, because IT DOESN'T !!!
    Other than that, he did a great job. We purchased the car and it was shipped from another dealership. After having the sensors in my other cars, the loss was a step back for safe driving. Great forum by the way!

Luvsibes and Bob Hahn like this.
  9. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Engine braking? Or regenerative braking? Been going 3 years with mine but was under the impression brake pads are actually getting contact with the rotors :confused:

10. Rhonda Collins

Rhonda Collins New Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    V
    i am planning on buying a Prius V with package 3..never owned a hybird before. i am worried i may not like it. my grandsons told me it would be like them riding in a pinto or gremlin when i was a teenager..so now i am confused. they want me to get camry hybird so they can look better but there is almost 20 mpg difference. is this really, truly the way to go?

11. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What do YOU like and what do YOU need? I have 2 Priuses (Prii), a 2005 and a 2009 and LOVE them. I looked at the Prius V and liked it but as a mail carrier I couldn't get my left leg on the pedals from the passenger seat. Otherwise, I'd probable have been gunning for a Prius V. I think the space inside the car is more usable than the Camry too if that makes a difference. Just my thoughts =)

12. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    If you need to give the key to a mechanic/valet/etc, just press that little button. The key fob will slide off and you can hand it to someone without the rest of your keys. The metal key will remain on your key chain. When your key fob is returned, you just slide it right back on to reattach.

(I bet you're taking your keys out of your pocket to try this).

ralleia likes this.
  13. Corpus Delicti

Corpus Delicti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I bought a new Prius v wagon for mail delivery at the end of January and used it for the 1st time today on the mail route. I simply removed the middle console and also installed some pedal extenders to reach the pedals more easily from the right hand side. It handled the route with ease today and made 38.2 MPG on the route as well (46 miles with some gravel roads). I've been getting 45 MPG with normal driving. I think I'm going to absolutely love it for mail delivery. I've been working out of a 4Runner for the last 7 1/2 yrs with pedals installed on the right side, and although it's been a beast as far as the punishment it's taken, it's only made 11-13 MPG on the route. I'm going to love passing those gas stations by!

labell likes this.
  14. labell

labell Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    Did you get the Prius v? I am loving mine!

I shopped online to get the color and package I wanted, so there was no chance for the sales person to give me an orientation to the features since I took delivery by truck, but I am the kind of person who likes to read the manuals anyway. Since they are now available online I had the manual read before the car even got to me.

15. artyking

artyking Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Didn't really consider removing parts to get there but a great idea! I tried removing the console in my Gen 2 and when I tried to start the car it looked at me like I was stupid. I didn't care to strip the wiring harness out of it so reinstalled it, lol. I'm assuming you'll be getting even better mileage when you learn the "electric miles" and warmer weather. I've been getting about 50 mpg on and off route average. Right now it's creeping back up wit warmer weather. I started at about 35 to 40 mpg on route and found that easing up and gliding were worth the extra 20 minutes on the street. My route is 61 miles with some gravel, used to use 5 gallons a day in my gas burners, now I use about 6 or 7 gallons a WEEK! You're going to LOVE it!

Corpus Delicti likes this.
  16. SalixIncendium

SalixIncendium Tree Hugging Environmentalist Wacko

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I wish they would have told me two weeks ago when I bought the car that I could have saved a percent on interest ($750) had I waited 2 weeks to buy.

Yeah, I know they likely didn't know either, but it's still a bit irritating.

Salix,
    Needs to stay off of Toyota's website

17. Corpus Delicti

Corpus Delicti Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I do 72 miles a day counting the route and commute. I did it five days before I filled up - $32!! So yes, I think you could say I'm LOVING it!

Daddyjeph and artyking like this.
  18. Prius Hammer

Prius Hammer New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    My experience at CLAREMONT TOYOTA was pretty bad. Bought my car used. After two days of owning my car we noticed:
    1. Cheap Autoguard tires the dealership had put on the car had bulges on the side wall.
    2. Most the clips that secure the inner fender well were missing.
    The dealership told me to kick rocks. The people at CLAREMONT Toyota are snakes. I was pissed that I had to replace the brand new tires on my car BUT....the Prius is such am awesome car my frustration has been eclipsed by the joy only a Prius owner can know :)

19. TheEnglishman

TheEnglishman Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I really wish the dealer told me that putting $10 in my tank won't register in my fuel indicator. Luckily after panicking I just looked it up on here and learned that I may as well just pay $30 a week instead of $10 three times a week.

20. Luvsibes

Luvsibes Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My dealer was pretty helpful but better knowledge of the keyless entry system would have been good but the questions have come up since I brought my 2013 III home last weekend.
    • If I were to leave my purse in the car with the electronic key in it, would the car lock? Would I be locked out or would it not lock and anyone could enter and take my car and purse? (I don't plan on doing this but I've been in the habit with my old Camry of locking my purse in the car while running a quick errand.)
    • I read the valet posts but am still concerned about how to leave the car at a parking lot safely (I basically surmised that you can't!)
    I have read (and re-read) the manuals and always learn something new!
    Thanks! I'm loving my new Prius!