1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I remember when....

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by hyo silver, Aug 6, 2007.

1. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Kudos to koa for that one!

I remember when...getting rear-ended meant your car had been in an accident. :huh:

2. tleonhar

tleonhar Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I remember when, SUV's were work vehicles, you would throw a chainsaw, logchain, and comealong in the back and go out into the fields to work the fencelines etc. but NEVER as your primary transportation.

I remember when pickups were something farmers used to haul hay bales and animal feed, also used by carpenters to haul small amounts of building materials to the job site. But NEVER were they used as a fashon statement.

3. ohershey

ohershey New Member

I remember playing outside for hours.
    I remember my mother not being worried because she knew all of the parents up and down the street (even the mean old lady with the nasty little dog on the corner).
    I remember riding our bikes in the street, blocking the street with ramps and basketball games, and no one getting upset.
    I remember no one being afraid to let their kids come run around and play together.

4. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(AuntBee @ Aug 7 2007, 12:18 AM) [snapback]491726[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah! And the guy who carried that big doctor's bag of replacement tubes and such...who actually made house calls!

Oh geez,

*Dictaphone belts

*Calling the TV remote a 'clicker'

*Tang

*Space Food Sticks (loved the chocolate!)

*The Scholastic Book Club (and the kids who'd always hassle me and dump my books down the storm drain)

*Parading around the multi purpose room with a hula hoop and streamers, while the boys were outside, playing actual sports for *their* PE classes

*Billie Jean King kicking Bobby Riggs' nice person in that 'man vs. woman' tennis game

*The ERA, and its NOT receiving enough support

*Opera windows, landau roofs, and fake wire wheels on automobiles

*Male rock stars with feathered hair and effeminate posturing

*The "designer series" of Lincoln Continentals from the late '70s (the Bill Blass one was my favorite)

*Ricardo Montalban and Corinthian Leather (Chrysler)

*The 1980 Cadillac Seville (the one with the bustle trunk and razor edge styling cues)

*Whip Inflation Now!

*Jimmy Carter painting Air Force One white (and obliterating that classic Raymond Loewy paint job), to somehow symbolize the U.S. Government's new focus on austerity

*Our helicopters breaking down in the desert, and our inability to rescue the American hostages

*Gas lines in '74-'75

*Gas lines again briefly in '79

*UAW workers attempting to destroy a Toyota Corolla (to show their hatred for imported cars) on the Evening News with Walter Cronkite. They kept hitting the engine with a sledge hammer, but all it did is spray hot coolant on one of the protesters as it kept running and running, despite their best efforts to make it stop

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

Sex was dirty and Air was clean

White Castle hamburger 5 cents

when we did not have a president that looked like Alfred E. Newman from MAD magazine

going trick or treating and NOT getting your apples or candy X-Rayed being able to eat that homemade popcorn ball

playing outside and not on the couch all day long or what is a video game besides pong

or when you would see bumber stickers such as: BUY AMERICAN BE AMERICAN and it meant something

when you had to pay a nickle in a white castle joint to use the bathroom :lol: really

6. KD6HDX

KD6HDX New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I remember doodling on my "Pee-chee folder", in school.

7. pappyt

pappyt Junior Member

..... going to the drive-in and hanging the metal speaker box on the window

..... open the glove box and having a place to sit my drink while eating and watching the x,i mean pg movie :p

.... getting amoco premium for .17 cents/gal

....running home from school to watch adam12 on t.v.

.... then gilligans island

....watching" elvis,aloha from hawaii"

... all soda pop was in returnable bottles

8. Stev0

Stev0 Honorary Hong Kong Cavalier

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
  9. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I added backup lights to our family car, just like the new models.

Our car radio had tubes. It took about 30 seconds to warm up before you could hear anything.

A friend of mine replaced the engine in his car with one from a 5-year younger model. The new technology in the new engine was an oil pump to provide pressure lubrication. The old engine used splash lubrication (the crankshaft splashed the oil everywhere it was needed).

Part of passing a driving test was the proper use of hand signals, even though your car came with turn signals.

An oil filter was just a gadget that wasn't really necessary.

High beams were selected by pressing a foot switch, to the left of the clutch.

My family had to purchase a TV so I wouldn't spend every Friday night watching Flash Gordon on the neighbor's TV.

Phone numbers were 7 digits, but the first two were identified with a name. The prefix for my house phone was LAndscape, which I never thought of as 52.

Draft cards. Men were required to carry them at all times. No exceptions for things like going swimming (although they didn't actually enforce that one...).

None of the 800 girls in my high school got pregnant. At least, none that I ever heard about.

Famous quote overheard in the hallways... "But my mother must be a virgin!". Only bad girls would have sex. Certainly not parents!

Condoms were behind the counter at the drug store. Favorite question for an evil clerk was "what size?". The pill didn't exist.

Taking the 6-car ferry across the river where there is now an overcrowded 6-lane bridge.

10. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Aug 8 2007, 02:59 PM) [snapback]492669[/snapback]</div>
    * Being on a US aircraft carrier in the Indian Ocean and knowing that the hostages were NOT released as reported by the media (held at the airport for a period of time) while Americans at home celebrated their release.

* Watching test firing after test firing of defensive missile systems fail . . . either failure to launch, or breaking-up in flight. Thank you President Carter. "Austerity" was awesome . . . especially with Russian spy trawlers and "Bear" bombers following our every move. <_<

And thank you President Reagan for scaring the crap out of the Ayatollah . . . even before you had the chance to utter the words, " . . . so help me God."
    And thank you for ending "austerity" . . . it didn't work out all that well for President Carter.

11. dareniott

dareniott New Member

Man! You people are OLD! Just Kidding... but I do remember $0.99 gas and it was big deal went it went over a dollar. But this was post gas crisis of the 70's and early 80's. I remember drive-in movies as well (with the metal speaker box hung on the window), that was the best! Unfortunately I don't remember much more than that, oddly enough after 6 years in the Navy my memories before it seemed to be erased (Suspicious... <_< ). I too believe the world was better in the "old days" but maybe cause I wasn't around in the "old days". Everything will be better post Bush though. From a bumper sticker: "1.20.09 The end of an error"

12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    . . . . when my grand parents told me they bought their first house (1,900 sq feet in So Cal) for $7,900.

13. NYPrius1

NYPrius1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hyo silver @ Aug 6 2007, 12:43 PM) [snapback]491306[/snapback]</div>
    A Family Had A Working Dad who worked 8 hours a day, A Stay at Home Mom, 2 Kids In College , money in a savings account and were waiting for the company retirement plan to kick in......
    The Good Old Days!!!

14. christob

christob Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    A little more recent list of memories, being but 38... ;)
    (I didn't get to read the whole thread, so forgive any repeats)

...To get spending cash without a bank teller visit, you had to write a check at the grocery, for more than your purchase... pre-ATMs!

...nobody had cell phones, and yet, we all survived!!

...saving a computer program at home meant plugging an audio cassette recorder into the computer, and hitting Record, making a note of the cassette's "counter" so you could recall the program, later.

...my town had a drive-in theater (now a multi-plex)

...Avocado Green was THE hot color for kitchen appliances!

...you could still rent Betamax video tapes at the video rental store

...the height of cool in school was a digital watch with calculator! Which quickly became the height of geeky.

15. ohershey

ohershey New Member

Hey! We still HAVE a drive-in movie theater! What with the "I remember" stuff? Doesn't everybody have one?

16. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Our old phone number was Browning (BR) 77357

I watched men walk on the moon on our televsion set. I also saw footage of Kennedy, Kennedy and King assassinated on the nightly news. I saw the Vietnam war on the nightly news. And Kent State.

My brother and I used to hurry home from school to watch the original "Dark Shadows" (in B&W) on TV every weekday afternoon.

Ovaltine.

No one used metric. You could buy cotton calico for less than $1.00 a yard.

There was only one Disneyland and you used a coupon book for the rides. An "E" ticket were the best rides.

Gliders made of thin balsawood in two pieces, you slid the wings through a slot in the body, the nose had a metal clamp for weight and protection. They sailed pretty good.

The only kites were diamond and box, made of balsawood, string and paper. You had to add a rag tail to get it to fly right. It took skill.

You could go to the hobby store and buy oil based enamel paint for your models and you didn't have to show ID or be over 18.

There was no grafitti.

(BTW there is still TANG, I have a carton of it in my kitchen right now, and there still is the Scholastic Book Club.)

17. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Gas rationing in the 70's.

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    * Bell bottoms were the in thing

* Hot pants micro, mini & maxi skirts.

* Wearing designs that should have only been used for table cloths.

* Corduroy jeans

* Trouser Suits

* Plaid sport jackets

* wide leather belts

* Platform shoes

* Long hair

19. priussoris

priussoris New Member

cottage cheese came in a waxed cup style container with a metal lid.

more home grown vegitables, kids spoke to their parents at dinner time.

old radio shows, Gangbusters, Amos & Andy, The Green Hornet

one tv in the living room NOT every room (b&w)

honda mini trail 70

AMC Gremlin

M151 A1 Mutt jeep

58 ranchero

20. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KD6HDX @ Aug 8 2007, 06:55 PM) [snapback]492720[/snapback]</div>
    Yes! And hoping that some day I'd grow up to become the woman on the ski lift, or the one playing tennis!