1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

I removed my inverter for unrelated repair access; now it's bad?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rooshio, Nov 17, 2021.

1. rooshio

rooshio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    When I replaced my ABS actuator assembly , I removed the inverter (all connections except the hose) and put it back when I was finished. But when I started the vehicle for the first time, I got all the dash lights (tire, VSC, ABS, triangle). No power steering, drive, or reverse.

Eventually I learned the 12v auxiliary battery was low; I figured that since I didn't unplug the 12v system while doing the repair (dumb, I know), the fob handshake may have been engaging electrical systems while I had it apart.

After a full-night's charge and several test laps around the block, things seemed normal. I should have tested the voltage again, because shortly after all the same lights came on, I lost steering/transmission control, and the engine threw a P0A08 code. Luckily I was able to limp it home with a Walmart battery connected in parallel.

And whadduya know, P0A08 is an error code for the circuit responsible for recharging the 12v auxiliary battery. My question is this: is it more likely that my inverter broke during the repair process or that I have a bad wiring connection somewhere? All the wiring harnesses in/around the inverter seem to be securely-clipped. Maybe some brake fluid is shorting out a connection?

Looking for any diagnostic suggestions before I replace the whole inverter.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    make sure the 12v is fully charged, and that the connexions are clean and tight, especially neg to ground.

3. Aegean

Aegean Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I suspect the problem was created during your inverter removal and installation. I would disconnect and connect again all the inverter electrical connectors including high voltage MG1 and MG2 bolts and the inverter coolant pump connector.

If fine then maybe something shorted while the 12v was on. Measure the fusible link Ohms and check the fusible link electrical connectors for burnout.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    dolj and rooshio like this.
  5. rooshio

rooshio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you! that's exactly the kind of resource I'm looking for.

I'll also reconnect all the things and see if that helps.

SFO likes this.
  6. rooshio

rooshio Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Whelp, I found the plug I forgot to reattach! What a satisfying click :) Car's back in action, no lights, and I'm feeling confident on the road again!

I'm thankful for your suggestions and for this forum that's saved me more times than I can count!

-205k miles

Raytheeagle, SFO and dolj like this.
  7. nancytheprius

nancytheprius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II